PDA

View Full Version : Could low voltage cause my pump not to start?

Dateranoth
06-12-2007, 03:08 PM
My pump started sporadically not pumping about a week ago. It's the one from the Gigabyte 3d galaxy II. I thought at first that it was just the pump crapping out. I also thought that giving it a little tap would get it going. However, this isn't the case. The only thing that can get it to start up is to turn my psu on and off. Also, on more than one occasion, the computer refused to boot when the switch was pressed. Turning the psu off and waiting for the capacitors to discharge, then turning it back on would allow the computer to start.

This got me worried so I got out the DMM and checked all my voltages. Every one of them are at the rock bottom of the low end tolerance range. However, +12v is below tolerance (+-5%), reading 11.25v at most, and lower (11v or less) during initial bootup.

I plan on RMAing the psu ( or perhaps buying a new one and returning the defective one :) ) but I was just curious if I should also be RMAing the pump. Could this low voltage be the culprit in my pump not starting?

Dateranoth

Sparky
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Yes, the low voltage could keep the pump from starting. Enough to keep the PC from starting properly isn't it? ;)

What PSU is it anyway? Sounds like RMA time.

Dateranoth
06-12-2007, 04:20 PM
It's a BFG 650w. Though, I'm not certain on the cpu not starting part. It almost always starts.. I think the times it doesn't start may be more related to the heat of the cpu since the pump isn't running, but I can't be certain. Also, only the +12v rail is showing out of tolerance and not by much. However it is relatively low at first bootup. 11.25v where it should be 11.4v. They said that was enough for an RMA, but I don't want to send the freaking thing in and wait 2+ weeks for it to come back. I guess I'll just go somewhere, buy a new one, and then return this one. Much faster that way.

Dateranoth

P.S.
Just added the tolerance of my DMM to the voltage. So, if it is reading the maximum amount off then it is possible the voltage is 11.365v which is very close to within tolerance. -5.29% actually, where the psu is rated for +-5%.. soo, I dunno.. Still would be as low as you would possibly want the 12v rail to be I guess.

D