PDA

View Full Version : New MBP's, I am thinking of switching

vengance_01
06-11-2007, 10:29 PM
I have a really nice desktop, and it was mainly built for gamming, but I really don't do much of that. Mainly WoW now, and I am really looking forward to Starcraft 2. Also a few older games like HL2, Serious Sam(First and second encounter) As far as OS's go, I really have no beefs with XP, and I have used Mac OS and I enjoyed the experence. I used to own a notebook, and with ppl reporting 4 hours of battery life with the hardware packed inside, this little guy looks to be able to do everything and more. What do you guys think. I won't be buying for another month or two. Just trying to gather opinions.

sky
06-12-2007, 01:27 AM
4hrs?
how the fck did they do that? i can gove you my rundown of what i did yesterday with my own new 15" 2.4g mbp 3.1. what it boils down to is that starting from a battery displayed as being at 100%, i pulled the plug and almost exactly 3 hrs later the system switched off or rather into sleep mode. all the while i was only surfing and listening to my ipod. keyboard backlight was off the entire time, and screen brightness was at 6 bars, so hardly much.

can you link me to reports of 4hrs of battery time, as i have a hard time believing that. or the claimed 5hrs. maybe if the system is just sitting around basically doing nothing and going into sleep mode. but if you're actually working with it, if only surfing, 3hrs is topps. at least with the top end one(s).

Deux
06-12-2007, 01:30 PM
I have one of the original ones with the core duo not core 2 and I usually get 3.5-4 hrs just browsing and other basic stuff.
2.16 GHz
2 gig ram
17 inch

To the OP, you'll love your mac I have one of the old ones and it runs everything I throw at it fine including games on XP.

vengance_01
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
4hrs?
how the fck did they do that? i can gove you my rundown of what i did yesterday with my own new 15" 2.4g mbp 3.1. what it boils down to is that starting from a battery displayed as being at 100%, i pulled the plug and almost exactly 3 hrs later the system switched off or rather into sleep mode. all the while i was only surfing and listening to my ipod. keyboard backlight was off the entire time, and screen brightness was at 6 bars, so hardly much.

can you link me to reports of 4hrs of battery time, as i have a hard time believing that. or the claimed 5hrs. maybe if the system is just sitting around basically doing nothing and going into sleep mode. but if you're actually working with it, if only surfing, 3hrs is topps. at least with the top end one(s). Well with Brightness at about haft and just surfing the net, very light tasks, ppl were getting 3.5-4 hours which is just phenomial for whats packed in there and the weight:)

dippyskoodlez
06-13-2007, 03:05 PM
<3 my MBP.

And you can get Parallels or Vmware fusion to run windows virtualized if you need.

:)

I don't forsee myself ever getting rid of a mac main computer.

ineedaname
07-10-2007, 11:31 PM
compared to a lot of other laptops i've seen even 3-3.5 hours is not bad.