PDA

View Full Version : Advantages Of A T-Line?

Merc14
06-11-2007, 05:15 AM
We have several folks on our Asus Independent Site planning watercooling setups and a little argument has arisen regarding T-Lines and reservoirs. I can see no advantage to a T-Line other than it makes a more compact loop, which is great for those with smaller cases. It makes bleeding a very tedious job and I argue against anyone using a T-Line unless they absolutely have to.

I can't imagine any performance advantages a T-Line buys you significant enough to warrant the hassle of dealing with it. Am I way off base here? Will a T-line improve performance enough to warrant its use? :shrug:

jimmyz
06-11-2007, 05:39 AM
first off is noise. reservoirs add a gurgeling or swooshing sound to a loop where t-lines are silent.
t lines ,if done properly supply plenty of reserve for normal use.
bleeding is really not difficult if you set-up your loop properly, besides it's not like you need to bleed a system every week.

i've got two res's in my closet and none in my rigs if that tells you anything.

Merc14
06-11-2007, 05:45 AM
So, basically, noise is the main advantage of a T-Line for you. Thanks jimmyz, I hadn't considered that. In a silent system that could definitely be an issue as I do hear gurgles now and then from the reservoirs my two loops.

jimmyz
06-11-2007, 05:48 AM
mine is nowhere near silent but the gurgling was making me crazy. also everyone who sat down in my computer room would excuse themselves for a bathroom break within minutes.lol (the water noise makes you need to p)

Sideroxylon
06-11-2007, 05:49 AM
There's no performance difference between res' or t-lines. It comes down to preference.

The noise issue is easily handled by just filling the res up all the way.

rogard
06-11-2007, 06:33 AM
space is an advantage too!

migueld
06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
jimmyz, which res were you using?

Merc14
06-11-2007, 08:19 AM
The minires from Swiftech is surprisingly quiet when installed correctly.

sbrehm72255
06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I use one of each, Swiftech Micro rez on the video loop and a "T" line on the CPU loop, works for me I guess.........;)

whattheschmidt
06-11-2007, 08:45 AM
t line is the way to go for 90% of people if not more imo

t line:
-more compact
-quieter
-save money
-harder to bleed but just do so before you put the loop in the case and it’s easy

res
-looks?
-easier bleed
-noise
-cost

Grinch
06-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I have heard that you get somewhat better flow with a T-Line...

Solarfall
06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
first off is noise. reservoirs add a gurgeling or swooshing sound to a loop where t-lines are silent.
t lines ,if done properly supply plenty of reserve for normal use.
bleeding is really not difficult if you set-up your loop properly, besides it's not like you need to bleed a system every week.

i've got two res's in my closet and none in my rigs if that tells you anything.

the noise is not really a big issue if you fill the res all the way to the top.

jimmyz
06-11-2007, 09:13 AM
res's were danger den poly style.

lasse.j5
06-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I have never heard any gurgling sounds from my reservoir (EK 250). Only when bleeding the loop which took 10 minuttes.

And res's arent really that much extra money when you compare to the price of a decent kit.

I would never build a setup without a res for the reason that it is just so much easier to get the air out of the loop.

beaneh
06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
It was a space issue for me nothing more. I use an Akasa Eclipse 62 and mounted a PA120 up top, a bay res would have left a tiny gap between itself and the rad, and leaves me the option to install a fan controller.

Gunlance
06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Choice was simple for me:
EK Res 150 = 40 bucks
T-line = couple of bucks

I had all the air out of my system in about 30 minutes.

Patriote
06-11-2007, 09:41 AM
I have tried both - T-lines and Swiftech's MCRESs and never heard a single gurgling sound from either. For me it's just a mater of preference.

ranker
06-11-2007, 10:10 AM
res's were danger den poly style.

See that was your problem. I had those res's too. Not only are they leak/crack prone, but they make annoying noises. The Swiftech mcres-micro's make no noise and bleed insanely fast. EK's are built to last except for the cyclone problem. I'm using my dual bay DD res as a gold fish tank now.

dnottis
06-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Noise for sure, I hated the gurgling.

I also am not fond of the idea that there is a container holding liquid in my PC.

sephiroth8748
06-11-2007, 11:52 AM
The noise/gurgling was a problem with the 5.25 bay res's. The swiftech micro and ek ones don't have that problem. I used the swiftech res in my last loop because it was more convenient. Now, I'm using a t line in my new loop because it was more conventient. :P It's a matter of preference and price.

Ad1tya
06-11-2007, 12:42 PM
TLine also offers lesser restriction. Not by much, but enough to make me use it :P.

virtualrain
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
If you use a T, how small can it be before it's not practical. Can it be just a few inches long?

Ad1tya
06-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Well, it really doesnt matter how short. Its just that youll have to fill it up every 2 weeks if its a few inches long. Longer, and you can top it up every month or 2 months or so..

speed bump
06-11-2007, 02:32 PM
the biggest reason for a long time was performance. you lose some head pressure and velocity when you have a res in you line.

Also you have one more easily breakable object in there.

MaxxxRacer
06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
There's no performance difference between res' or t-lines. It comes down to preference.

The noise issue is easily handled by just filling the res up all the way.

not quite true. There is a small difference.

Advantage of T-Line over Res
1. Lower noise
2. Less Space
3. Very minor improvement in flow rate
4. May be easier to add more fluid (depends in placement)
5. If sealed, possibly have lower evaporation rate
6. Less chance of leaks (poly res' get microcracks at the barbs)
7. Cheaper than a Res

Advantage of Res over T-Line
1. Much quicker bleed times
2. Cool factor (if you can see the res from outside the case

All in all, the T-Line is the best option unless you like to swap out your components every other week. If you do alot of parts swapping then the res is nice because bleeding is easier.

Grinch
06-11-2007, 03:38 PM
not quite true. There is a small difference.

Advantage of T-Line over Res
1. Lower noise
2. Less Space
3. Very minor improvement in flow rate
4. May be easier to add more fluid (depends in placement)
5. If sealed, possibly have lower evaporation rate
6. Less chance of leaks (poly res' get microcracks at the barbs)
7. Cheaper than a Res

Advantage of Res over T-Line
1. Much quicker bleed times
2. Cool factor (if you can see the res from outside the case

All in all, the T-Line is the best option unless you like to swap out your components every other week. If you do alot of parts swapping then the res is nice because bleeding is easier.

That's kinda the impression I have been under since I started watercooling...:clap: :)

Borgod
06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
It depends on the system.

For me, it's impossible to fill the loop before I fit it to the case therefore the T-line I have now makes it a very tedious and annoying process to fill the loop.

I am considering ditching my T-line in favour of an EK res, simply because bleeding and filling is soooo much easier for me.

Merc14
06-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Guys, thank you very much. :clap: A few surprises here and many well thought out responses. Plus I learned a few things. :) I may even try a T-Line in the future but laziness will probably butt in as usual :rolleyes:

Kilyin
06-11-2007, 09:09 PM
I think people like to make 'bleeding' into more of an issue than it is. During the leak test, I just tilt my case side to side and watch the bubbles fly. After the leak test is done, I plug the system in, power it on, and the bubbles eventually work themselves out within a day or two.

Tee line ftw.

Slammin
06-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I think people like to make 'bleeding' into more of an issue than it is. During the leak test, I just tilt my case side to side and watch the bubbles fly. After the leak test is done, I plug the system in, power it on, and the bubbles eventually work themselves out within a day or two.

Tee line ftw.

Agreed, and same. I think some may even be lead to think that since they are using a res, they can get away with not doing the case tilting arobics, or mounting rads upside down with no worry of air traps. Hopefully that is not the case, but personally, having done both res and t-line, I prefer the simplicity of t-line.

NaeKuh
06-12-2007, 12:25 AM
See that was your problem. I had those res's too. Not only are they leak/crack prone, but they make annoying noises. The Swiftech mcres-micro's make no noise and bleed insanely fast. EK's are built to last except for the cyclone problem. I'm using my dual bay DD res as a gold fish tank now.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA you trying to push the goldfish powered cpu now ranker? Hamsters too boring?

Anyhow, same reason as ranker, single bay style reservoirs are aweful.