PDA

View Full Version : 8800 Ultra,EK or Swiftech Stealth?

Boyu
06-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Going to WC my 8800 Ultra, need suggestion what should i choose between full cover EK waterblock or Swiftech Stealth,is there any of of you guys done some temperature comparison betwen these block.thx for any advice

ColonelCain
06-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Thats the tricky part. Stealth will keep your core cooler hands down, but the Ek also actively cools the rest of the card.

_G_
06-10-2007, 06:58 PM
need more details on youre system, type of pump and other blocks in loop.
also what is youre goal, max oc, silence, cleanest look?

Boyu
06-10-2007, 07:31 PM
other system are:
storm,mcw30,pump D5.thermochill 120.3 n EK reservoir.

CCUABIDExORxDIE
06-10-2007, 07:38 PM
just so you know, the swiftech stealth is VERY restrictive, like insanely restrictive for a gpu block. if your looking to keep good flow through your storm, then dont go with the stealth.

turtletrax
06-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Allot of folks think that the EK sucks at cooling, but it doesnt. I have my 8800GTX slightly voltmodded and i can run my card at 710/2200 and my load temps are 44c with 2 chipset blocks, Fuzion, Thermochill HE 120.3, Yate Loons, and dual DDC-2's.

I really like my EK FC block. No worries about any airflow over the card at all and I can run balls to the wall. Was a bit of a learning curve to mount properly, but only had to do that once. Smooth sailing for 7 months now.

p8ntslinger676
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
performance wise:

stealth > ek

looks and space wise:

ek > stealth

teko
06-11-2007, 12:55 AM
And flow wise

EK > Stealth

septim
06-11-2007, 02:20 AM
so go with the ek, since you already have a storm in your loop.
i would also suggest another d5 to be series pump...

clone38
06-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Ive got a EK block for my ultra,not fitted it yet as ive got some more northbridge and southbridge blocks on the way.

dnb#
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
STEEEEEAAAALLLTTHHH!!!!!

as the others just said, the EK is better in the loop you've got right now, but the stealth is so pretty. It's just :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

and what do you think about the heatkillers?

pie_uk
06-11-2007, 02:18 PM
love the heat kill blocks , !!!

keops
06-17-2007, 12:21 PM
I also love Heatkiller blokc because they fit bot on GTS and GTS. Mine is GTS now but i will swith to GTX some day and i don't want to buy a block for GTX too in the future. So i am looking for a block both fits on GTX and GTS. Heatkiller and Stealth provide this. Stealth is restrictive, and not enough information about the stealth. EK water blokc looks good. And ecxept the aluminium parts of the EK blocks which covers the voltage regulators both GTS and GTX blocks of EK are identical. I am looking for a spare GTS or GTX voltage regulator aluminium part of the EK blocks nowadays.

afireinside
06-17-2007, 12:41 PM
just so you know, the swiftech stealth is VERY restrictive, like insanely restrictive for a gpu block. if your looking to keep good flow through your storm, then dont go with the stealth.

Isn't it just an mcw60 with an apogee GTX block? I don't see how it could be more restrictive than a full cover block.

Angry_Steel
06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Hard to see how anyone could give you any accurate info as to the performance of the Stealth vs EK as I dont think there has been any comparisons to my knowledge. Ive seen a lot of "I get this temp" on the EK block and manufacturers numbers on the Stealth but no real 3rd party testing on either of them. So basically there are a lot of assumptions and no real info other than opinions.

I use a Storm too and if the Stealth is half as restrictive as they say it is I would think you would be hard pressed to put it into that loop and still see acceptable temps on either the CPU or the GPU. But again...thats just an assumption.

Ad1tya
06-17-2007, 03:18 PM
None of these 2.

MCW60 w/ Ramsinks or w/ DTek Unisink. Re-Use is with your next build.

elfy
06-17-2007, 08:42 PM
STEEEEEAAAALLLTTHHH!!!!!

as the others just said, the EK is better in the loop you've got right now, but the stealth is so pretty. It's just :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

and what do you think about the heatkillers?

that's just yummy

Aldy402
06-17-2007, 08:54 PM
None of these 2.

MCW60 w/ Ramsinks or w/ DTek Unisink. Re-Use is with your next build.

i agree, both the stealth and ek blocks add heat from the mosfets and ram into your loop

with the mcw60, its only adding the core heat, but you need good ambient air in your case to cool the ramsinks , so i guess it all comes down to ur airflow in your case and what case your using..

virtualrain
06-17-2007, 09:56 PM
I personally think that it doesn't matter what GPU cooling solution you use since whether it's the EK, the Stealth, or the MCW-60, (insert block here) etc... any of them will give you more temperature head-room than you need, even with other blocks in the loop. None of them will hold back your overclock on a stock card.

On GPU's the OC is usually voltage limited... not cooling limited. It's like trying to overclock your CPU without being able to increase Vcore... you aren't going to get very far... and as a result, your cooling is irrelevant. You guys can argue all day long over who has the lowest GPU temps, but it doesn't matter one bit.

Now if you volt mod your card, it's another story, and then you need something that (ideally) cools your mosfets, your memory and your GPU to get the most out of your card. So again, any of these solutions will do the trick but either Swiftech solution will require more airflow over the card than the EK.

Boyu
06-18-2007, 03:37 AM
Thx for all the feedback,just ordered EK Waterblock.

CCUABIDExORxDIE
06-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Isn't it just an mcw60 with an apogee GTX block? I don't see how it could be more restrictive than a full cover block.

ill show you my graph!

its in psi on the y axis and gpm on the x axis.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/TerrorXepidemic1/swiftechchart.png

its alot more restrictive then you'd think.

virtualrain
06-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Yikes! How restrictive is the EK block?

CCUABIDExORxDIE
06-18-2007, 09:59 AM
i dunno, i cant find the specs for it...its kinda weird, no place has restriction ratings for it.

GameGuru
06-18-2007, 10:51 AM
I'd like to see how a MCW60 w/D-Tek UNI-Sink performs to that of the MC14's and MC21's. If there roughly the same performance wise I think my next order will be a MCW60 and a UNI. Much easier assembly :) Has anyone done this yet?

serialk11r
06-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Okay first of all I really don't see how the stealth is that restrictive.
Second, the EK is more restrictive than the MCW60...and the Stealth has those fins which dissipate most of the heat from the regulators, ram, etc. (which isn't that much :P)

RAM cooling doesn't matter too much at all. Didn't like, some crappy aluminum ramsinks get the same ram overclock as mc14s in some thread a while back? SHEESH. If anything, I think the unisink will keep the ram a little cooler :P

mkalbaker
06-18-2007, 12:49 PM
if i bought the mcw, can i add that D-TEC ram cooling on it. will it fit?

ranker
06-18-2007, 01:19 PM
if i bought the mcw, can i add that D-TEC ram cooling on it. will it fit?

It will fit an 8800GTX for sure. I'm not sure about an 8800GTS.

GameGuru
06-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Okay first of all I really don't see how the stealth is that restrictive.
Second, the EK is more restrictive than the MCW60...and the Stealth has those fins which dissipate most of the heat from the regulators, ram, etc. (which isn't that much :P)

RAM cooling doesn't matter too much at all. Didn't like, some crappy aluminum ramsinks get the same ram overclock as mc14s in some thread a while back? SHEESH. If anything, I think the unisink will keep the ram a little cooler :P

Cool, now I'm just trying to decide whether no not to go with and MCW/UNI or the Stealth. :)

I also read in another post on the forums that the Stealth is NOT restrictive as everyone thinks. In fact Gabe from Swiftech confirms this, just can't find the thread right this second.

I)ickie
06-18-2007, 02:54 PM
It will fit an 8800GTX for sure. I'm not sure about an 8800GTS.

The compatibility states only the GTX unfortunately.
Not sure about ease of modding.

GameGuru
06-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Some quotes from Gabe at Swiftech.

performance is superior to the 60, just like the GT/GTX are superior to the early apogee. We 'll put together some comparative data here soon.

What we have observed here are outstanding thermal characteristics in so far as the product ability to dissipate extremely high heat loads at low flow rates.

As to tagging the product as a "flow killer", I understand the concern which respect to overall system performance, and I can only respond with the facts at hand: In a test consisting of a quad running @ stock speed and cooled by a single MCR120 radiator, we observed a nominal 3C rise in processor Delta T (Core Temp to Air) by adding a Stealth cooled volt modded 8800 GTX in the loop.

All I can say is what's important is overall system performance and stability. The block is a great tool for people into volt mods, I know it, we have data and 3DM 06 results to prove it. How it will integrate into your particular system with your particular goals is another story altogether.

It works great in my system, and my OC is sufficient to handle any game I use on this wonderful Gateway FPD2485W monitor I got a few weeks ago!

Eric (OPPainter) picked one up Friday to install on his GTS, thus replacing his trusted MCW60. He's probably busy overclocking with it right now..

We have tested extensively with volt mods, and our results are embodied in a 20250 score in 3D Marks O6 here: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=1873908

We also tested with a Quad and SLI and (1) MCR120 and got a 17649 score here: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=2054649

virtualrain
06-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Both the MCW-60 and Stealth will require at least some airflow over the card to cool the passive components (RAM/Vregs for MCW-60 and Vregs for Stealth). However, with that factored in, all of these solutions are going to perform admirably.

I think the key question should be around pressure drop since this will directly affect the entire loop. We need validated results on the Stealth and some EK results as well before we can begin to agree on what's better.

cognoscenti
06-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Some quotes from Gabe at Swiftech.

:
We have tested extensively with volt mods, and our results are embodied in a 20250 score in 3D Marks O6 here: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=1873908

We also tested with a Quad and SLI and (1) MCR120 and got a 17649 score here: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=2054649

Am I missing something here?

My GTXs scored higher on Air than his volt modded cards on water which got 17649?

Or is that a single card?

GameGuru
06-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Am I missing something here?

My GTXs scored higher on Air than his volt modded cards on water which got 17649?

Or is that a single card?

I believe the first score (20250) by Oppainter is with ONE volt modded 8800GTX. The other score (17649) looks to be a SLI setup.

JargonGR
06-22-2007, 11:09 AM
So what is the consensus on the D-tek unisink? I have 2x Apogees 1U on my GTXs and the dreadfull MC14s. I want to volt mod my cards but only at the thought of having those MC14s dropping off keeps me away from even removing my cards from their slots. It was a pain to make them stick in the first place.

I need an easy to fit RAM cooling solution for my GTXs.

GameGuru
06-22-2007, 11:28 AM
So what is the consensus on the D-tek unisink? I have 2x Apogees 1U on my GTXs and the dreadfull MC14s. I want to volt mod my cards but only at the thought of having those MC14s dropping off keeps me away from even removing my cards from their slots. It was a pain to make them stick in the first place.

I need an easy to fit RAM cooling solution for my GTXs.

Some people say there are some clearance issues with the Uni-Sink and that you need to make an adapter of some sort but please don't take my word for it just look through some more threads, this is what I have read anyhow. As for those dreaded MC14's take a look here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=149022
Swiftech is now supplying different tape which is supposed to fix the current issues that they had.

cognoscenti
06-22-2007, 11:50 AM
I got 17664 with 2 x GTX No mods and on Air....

Link (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=1974840)