PDA

View Full Version : northbridge

Attitudx
06-19-2003, 08:59 AM
I had a friend ask me a question and i wasnt quit sure what to say.

Question was Why would you cool the NOrthbridge and south bridge???

What is the normal response???

Teus
06-19-2003, 09:01 AM
it's getting hot due to high speeds

Attitudx
06-19-2003, 09:28 AM
ok that was my first response to him but he was like well what do the northbridge and southbridge do or control He is alittle more of a newb than I am and I was like umm well i couldnt tell him what each done yeah I know for a question like that i dont deserve my computer lol

Teus
06-19-2003, 09:45 AM
3 keywoards: sentence, period and www.WhatIs.com ;)

Northbridge

Northbridge is an Intel chipset that communicates with the computer processor and controls interaction with memory, the Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus, Level 2 cache, and all Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) activities. Northbridge communicates with the processor using the frontside bus (FSB). Northbridge is one part of a two-part chipset called Northbridge/Southbridge. Southbridge handles the input/output (I/O) functions of the chipset.

Southbridge

Southbridge is an Intel chipset that manages the basic forms of input/output (I/O) such as Universal Serial Bus (USB), serial, audio, Integrated Drive Electronics (IDE), and Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) I/O in a computer. Southbridge is one of two chipsets that are collectively called Northbridge/Southbridge. Northbridge controls the processor, memory, Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus, Level 2 cache, and all Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) activities. Unlike Northbridge, Southbridge consists of one chip, which sits on Northbridge's PCI bus.

Attitudx
06-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Dang without looking(stop). I was correct(stop). Cool(stop). I had never known about www.whatis.com(stop). Thank you(stop).

Smizack
06-19-2003, 03:04 PM
j00 iz n0t t3h 1337 sp3ll4r!

BAH! Perids are for women!

CCW
06-20-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Attitudx
I had a friend ask me a question and i wasnt quit sure what to say.

Question was Why would you cool the NOrthbridge and south bridge???

What is the normal response???

basically, the NB controls FSB cpu and memory and agp, amd northbrridges get hotte rthan Intel due to the manufacturing prcoesss, they are also convered in plastic :eek: southbridges only need coolnig at very high fsb's to stop instability and hdd corruption

Craig

Attitudx
06-20-2003, 03:07 AM
Cool that is what i thought and told him but i like to be sure when i answer. Smiz I never said i could spell hehe. I hate periods LOL

CCW
06-20-2003, 03:46 AM
most women do too ;)

Attitudx
06-20-2003, 05:57 AM
so now i am a woman or oh i read it right now, or did i i give up

CCW
06-20-2003, 10:32 AM
read the bit again that says "I hate periods"

Attitudx
06-20-2003, 10:38 AM
heeh i got it dude hehe