PDA

View Full Version : Old case...good for watercooling?

TheDude
06-19-2003, 04:50 AM
I have friends drop off old outdated systems quite often because they know I'm into building computers. They are usually so old that I end of striping them down for parts.
This old Gateway was recently given to me. It had an old 120 pentium in it, 32 mbs ram and 1.5 hard drive. I stripped it for usable parts, but I like this case. It's huge! I was thinking of putting a water cooled system in it and maybe playing with some other case mods.

Also, this is kinda off topic, but does anyone know how many monitors I can run with XP Pro? I think 9 is max and I would need 9 video cards? Has anyone setup more than 3 monitors? I have 9 monitors lying around and equal number of pci cards. Thinking of doing it just for kicks. :D

TheDude
06-19-2003, 11:37 AM
LOL forgot to ad the pic

Teus
06-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
I have 9 monitors lying around and equal number of pci cards. Thinking of doing it just for kicks. :D
you've got 9 PCI slots or what :confused:

case looks good. in the front you can place your res/pump and in the top the rad. plenty of space!

TheDude
06-19-2003, 12:47 PM
LOL no about 5 unused not counting AGP...what I meant was I think the limit for XP is 9. Could maybe use some dual cards to get to 9?

JBELL
06-19-2003, 12:59 PM
DAMN water cool that thing!!!

CCW
06-19-2003, 09:02 PM
I remember them cases, in fact we have a few of them lying about at work tucked outta the way.

Definetly big enough for watercooling, also the HDD cage is tucked out of the way at the top so you could run your IDE cables around the case to that for better airflow in the case. Because the HDD cage is at the top you have more space for RAD and PUMP at the front. Give it a go!

Although can I sugegst you clean the case first! :D

Craig

texuspete00
06-20-2003, 06:14 AM
Yeah... looks mint man!

Sick0fthelies
06-21-2003, 07:45 AM
Where do your friends just get these computers?

edesignuk
06-21-2003, 07:53 AM
I think u can have 16 screens, using 4 x Matrox G200 Quad PCI cards ;)

TheDude
06-21-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Sick0fthelies
Where do your friends just get these computers?

In this case (pun) it was an 8 year old pc that she just upgraded. She gave me her entire old system, including a decent 17" monitor and a decent speaker setup with sub-woofer. :D

I love those old style humongous server looking cases. They don't build like that anymore.

About 2 months ago, another friend gave me 2 complete systems that she upgraded to new ones. :D

CCW
06-21-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
They don't build like that anymore.

The build even better now...Chieftec have some awesome cases :D

Craig

TheDude
06-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by CCW
The build even better now...Chieftec have some awesome cases :D

Craig

For free? :D

mccompunerd
06-21-2003, 09:58 AM
nice case man, can't beat free hardware... i've got a couple of monsters sitting around just waiting for my next round of updates.. gonna watercool it, would post pics, but all of my spare stuff is buried in my closet :p:

Capn
07-18-2003, 09:42 PM
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=259&date=desc&nummon=false&mon=desc

11 monitors under winxp

some peopel have too much money

:)

TheDude
07-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Sweet pic capn!

I have the monitors and some extra cards...all freebies...so hey...why not? I want to fill an entire rack that I have with monitors. I could display systems temps, voltages, etc on one....FAH on another.....leave email open on one....firewall activity on one...network activity on another...etc..etc...etc. :D

Schmax
07-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Watercooling would be a great idea, since you got plenty of free space below the floppy- and 5,25" slots. Perfect for a dual radiator standing upright there...

Tweaked!
07-19-2003, 01:06 PM
I've got that same case, just the next years release after that where they put a more rounded front bezel on it, but same frame and innerds. It was a pentium 2 setup. It is huge, I love it. Got a xp2100 running in it now. I think Twisted ended up with the guts out of it. The power supply out of it was really funky, had a 120mm fan bolted to the bottom of it for exhausting the case and cooling the psu. Only thing about the one I've got is I don't have the main side panel access door.

But I've got several friends that do the same thing around here, they're always dropping off older computers and hardware. One buddy is a garbage man for the city, he gets at least one old (usually mint condition) computer a week that he dros off. They're usually pentium 166's or older, but small hardware out of them are usually reuseable.:cool:

Capn
07-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Yeha i have 2 monitors right now and i lofve it i wanna get a 3rd...

i need to get me another17" monitor before i do that though. i couldnmt live without dual monitors now though

sjohnson
07-19-2003, 09:56 PM
One nice thing about many older server cases is, they are WIDE. The newer cases are almost too narrow in comparison.

My NCR server case is my favorite here. Twin 120mm fans designed into the lower front and the PSU mounts vertically, enough room next to the PSU for two more 120mm fans. I bought it four years ago for $12 and wish I'd have bought a dozen...

Easy to work in and the coolest running case I have, plus built like a tank.

TheDude
07-20-2003, 09:47 AM
I agree, love the extra width and all the room. Aside from the room at bottom front, there is lots of room at top above PSU. The case is definitely begging for WCing. :D

CCW
07-20-2003, 10:04 AM
your right Dude the chieftecs arent free (will be in a few years time for ya when mor epeople you know upgrade but they are good build quality

good luck with this lil project

Craig

BTW, i vote an avatar change! :D

TheDude
07-20-2003, 12:39 PM
BTW, i vote an avatar change!

Let it be so! :D

twiztdskatr
07-26-2003, 07:52 PM
i like that drive cage up top, keeps stuffs outta the way for a big rad :)

Chriviper
09-15-2003, 05:36 AM
Hey dude if you ever get water cooling on that case post pics 4 us...i'd be curious to se how u do it?

TheDude
09-15-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Chriviper
Hey dude if you ever get water cooling on that case post pics 4 us...i'd be curious to se how u do it?

Up and running strong...see it here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=18238

Chriviper
09-15-2003, 06:12 AM
Lookin Phat Dude!!!:banana: