PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade my WC for future SLI. Need help.

Dateranoth
06-08-2007, 05:15 PM
I am going to start upgrading my entire system bit by bit, and I would like some input on the parts.

These components will be cooled by the loop: intel c2d 6400 (currently OC to 3.2ghz running around 68C load at 25C ambient) and an 8800GTX ( OC to 655mhz core and 2000mhz mem running at 55C load at 25C ambient). The system would need to be capable of handling another 8800GTX without losing any current OC ability, and if possible the upgrade to quad core. My current system is not capable of this.

I have come up with this parts list. I'm not sure if they are the best for what I am after or not, or if it is possible in a single loop. I'm relatively new to WC. I have a kit installed currently, with the only decent part in it the MCW60 I bought just recently for my GPU. So, my list will also include minor parts such as tubing, just in case someone sees something they think will perform better.

CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee™ GTX CPU Waterblock
Pump: Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech DDCT-01s Top Combo (18W)
Radiator: Swiftech MCR-320 "Quiet Power" Series Radiator - Black
or
Thermochill PA120.3 Radiator
( I don't know enough about the difference. Is the PA120 worth the extra 70? )
Reservoir: ( This I do not know enough about. I assume it needs to be sized according to my radiator, but I don't have any clue to that so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. )
Fans: 3x 120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 (47cfm, 28dba) ( will these provide enough airflow for the rads? )

Bits and Pieces:
Petra'sTech "PT Nuke" (necessary?)
Petra'sTech "Gel-Stuff" Vibration Absorption Block ( is this necessary with the selected pump?)
120mm Sound Vibration Dampener (are these recommended for the fans?)
1/2" ID (3/4" OD) Tygon R-3603 Laboratory-Grade Tubing ( is this my best choice in size?)
5.25" Sunbeam Rheobus Fan Speed Controller - Silver ( I want a fan controller, but I was also wondering if there was such a thing as a flow sensor? I mean something that can shut down the cpu if the pump doesn't run. I had some issues with my pump not working, and it kinda worried me )
Ceramique - 22 gram tube
Worm Drive Hose clamps

Current System:
evga 680i SLI
evga 8800GTX @ 655/2000
C2D E6400 @ 3.2Ghz
4gb corsair cas4 @ 800mhz

Water cooling setup would need to be able to cool:
2x evga 8800GTX @ 655/2000
C2D E6400 @ 3.2Ghz OR possibly a quad core at some rate of overclock.

Also, any new info on the D-Tek GFX UNI-Sink (8800GTX) would be greatly appreciated, as I am now considering it after the nightmare I went through to install the individual ramsinks on the 8800.

Finally, I will probably be upgrading these parts a few at a time. So upgrade order would be useful. I was thinking: CPU block, radiator, pump/res. Though, I may just bite the bullet and upgrade it all at the same time.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can swing my way.

Dateranoth

P.S.
I'm pretty sure my current cpu block is crap, since I installed the MCW60 into the loop on the GPU, its temps dropped 30C while my CPU temps only rose like 2C, but 54idle and 68load seem pretty high for water.
D

HiJon89
06-08-2007, 05:56 PM
If you're looking to cool an OC'ed Core 2 Duo and an 8800GTX (possibly SLI in the future) then I'd say it's definitely worth it for you to invest in the PA120.3. In your case it is worth the extra money. You may want to consider getting a DTek FuZion instead of the Apogee GTX because the FuZion is much less restrictive, and in a loop that might have 3 blocks someday powered by a single DDC2, you're going to want all the flow you can get. So I'd either suggest getting the FuZion, or adding a second DDC2 if you do SLI some day. (The FuZion is obviously the cheaper of the two options).

Fans look good. Tubing looks good. Petra's Gel Stuff looks good. The PT Nuke or some alternative is required, especially if you get the Apogee GTX then you'll be running a mixed-metal loop. Pentosin or Zerex are the classic favorites. Vibration dampeners usually don't do very much, but they're cheap and if they make you feel better go for it (I use them :p: )

whoodiestyle
06-08-2007, 05:58 PM
well i think if u plan for quad core and 2 8800gtxs i dont think the pa 120.3 could handle it

Dateranoth
06-08-2007, 07:52 PM
well i think if u plan for quad core and 2 8800gtxs i dont think the pa 120.3 could handle it

So, is there any radiator that can? On a single loop setup that is. I would go dual loop, but I really don't have the room in my case for all that.

Also, any suggestions on a reservoir?

Dateranoth

HiJon89
06-08-2007, 08:49 PM
So, is there any radiator that can? On a single loop setup that is. I would go dual loop, but I really don't have the room in my case for all that.

Also, any suggestions on a reservoir?

Dateranoth
The PA120.3 won't have a problem handing an overclocked quadcore and 8800GTX SLI, but you may want to step up the fans to the ~70cfm range.

I've never used a reservoir in any of my builds, but the Swiftech MCRES-Micro seems to be very popular around here.

dnb#
06-09-2007, 03:15 AM
a 120.3 rad, swiftech stealths, Swiftech MCP655, 1/2 or 3/8, swiftech gtx ?

huge amount of money but it's well spend :D

don't you think these stealths are pretty sweet?

elfy
06-09-2007, 03:32 AM
i thought the Petra'sTech "Gel-Stuff" Vibration Absorption Block wasn't recommended for use with DDCs?

Grinch
06-09-2007, 05:03 AM
i thought the Petra'sTech "Gel-Stuff" Vibration Absorption Block wasn't recommended for use with DDCs?

I am using it under both my pumps with no problems at all...:)

sonofander
06-09-2007, 07:13 AM
In my experience, a PA120.3 is not enought to handle a quad core and 2 8800gtxs. When I made the upgrade to Sli my temps got out of control and I HAD to add a second loop.

If you plan on an OC'd quad and Sli, it is time to start considering what it would take to fit 2 loops in your case.

IanY
06-09-2007, 07:18 AM
PA120.3 handles an overclocked quad core, and that's about it :)

With G80 SLI? Forget about it..

Dateranoth
06-09-2007, 08:02 AM
PA120.3 handles an overclocked quad core, and that's about it :)

With G80 SLI? Forget about it..

Well, at the very least. The setup I listed should handle C2D and G80 SLI right? I mean, after I spend almost 500 on the WC setup, I believe the quad will have to wait a bit. Haha, don't even have the second gpu yet. My biggest concern is that it's a step in the right direction. ie, everything listed will be a long lasting performer and be usable if I have to add a second loop in the future.

Also, which is the better ( and preferrably logest lasting ) pump? The DDC-2 or MCP655?

thanks,
Dateranoth

elfy
06-09-2007, 08:25 AM
I am using it under both my pumps with no problems at all...:)

cool ;)

IanY
06-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, at the very least. The setup I listed should handle C2D and G80 SLI right? I mean, after I spend almost 500 on the WC setup, I believe the quad will have to wait a bit. Haha, don't even have the second gpu yet. My biggest concern is that it's a step in the right direction. ie, everything listed will be a long lasting performer and be usable if I have to add a second loop in the future.

Also, which is the better ( and preferrably logest lasting ) pump? The DDC-2 or MCP655?

thanks,
Dateranoth

You are good for now :)

Both pumps are of about the same quality.

Dateranoth
06-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Well, thanks for all the help everyone. I believe my final purchase will be these parts:

Thermochill PA120.3
D-tek FuZion CPU Water Block
Swiftech MCP655 12VDC Pump
Swiftech MCRES-Micro
YATE LOON 120mm D12SH-12 High Speed
Swiftech 1/2" OD tubing
Tubing Clamps
Coolant Additive
ARCTIC SILVER ARCTICLEAN
Arctic TIM lineup

Thanks again,
Dateranoth