PDA

View Full Version : D-Tek Uni-sink

IanY
06-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Anyone received one and installed one yet? Does it install easily?

I'm a bit upset about the performance of the Stealth (no I haven't tried it yet) and I am considering the alternatives.

Now.. don't flame me.. but I was thinking about the possibility of jerry rigging fans on top of the D-Tek Unisink :)

Baleful
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Hmm... I was actually thinking of doing the same thing.... I havn't seen any numbers on the stealth yet, so it's really that bad? Also, have you heard of anyone using the unisink w/ the MCW60 w/ the G80 adapter?

IanY
06-08-2007, 11:56 AM
The numbers for the Stealth are not very promising, with all respect to Gabe.

Basically, its a pretty water block... more pretty than MCW60 + a million non sticking heatsinks.. Very much in the same philosophy as the EK. Pretty.

In a semi-official Gabe release, the observations that the GPU temps were identical to that of a MCW60. Obviously, the MCW60 is a whole lot less restrictive. I was shocked that the drop off is worse than the D-Tek's, to think I had the audacity to laugh at the D-Tek when I saw the pressure drop.

The memory cooling is purported to be pretty effective. Oppainter managed 1200 Mhz on the memory for a GTX. That blows me away. However, its Oppainter were are talking about, and I'm no Oppainter.

In summary, I just spent $220 minus shipping for blocks that perform the same :)

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
You know what I said about appearances... a turd-looking object that performs well suits me just fine.

MrToad
06-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I think my brain is going to implode any minute now.

On one hand I want the Stealth, because is bound to out perform my current DD full-cover block (with built in Sloppy Finishİ), and it doesn't involve dealing with a dozen individual HSs like the MCW60.

On the other, I know that my D5 is going to complain in languages not heard on this planet for the last 5000 years the minute I rig it.

So... like you I find myself looking at the Uni-Sink with the corner of my eye and wondering... "What if?".

Petra
06-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Also, have you heard of anyone using the unisink w/ the MCW60 w/ the G80 adapter?

I don't have an 8800 yet, but I was checking clearance yesterday while taking photos of the Stealth and UNI-Sink/MCW60 side by side... the MCW60/G80 plate + UNI-Sink combination should be fine (the MCW60's G80 plate is a *tiny* bit wider than the FuZion GFX's, but it looks like everything should be fine due to the MCW60 keeping the plate elevated above the only potential clearance issue). I'm planning on going with this setup for my new build--w00t for finally replacing my aging AXP/9800 "gaming" rig :woot:

virtualrain
06-08-2007, 12:20 PM

On one hand I want the Stealth, because is bound to out perform my current DD full-cover block (with built in Sloppy Finishİ), and it doesn't involve dealing with a dozen individual HSs like the MCW60.

On the other, I know that my D5 is going to complain in languages not heard on this planet for the last 5000 years the minute I rig it.

So... like you I find myself looking at the Uni-Sink with the corner of my eye and wondering... "What if?".

Mr. Toad, why are you unhappy with your DD full-cover block? Is it the restriction imposed on the rest of your loop, your GPU temps, the impact it has on temps elsewhere in your loop, the quality, the look? I'm curious.

virtualrain
06-08-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't have an 8800 yet, but I was checking clearance yesterday while taking photos of the Stealth and UNI-Sink/MCW60 side by side... the MCW60/G80 plate + UNI-Sink combination should be fine (the MCW60's G80 plate is a *tiny* bit wider than the FuZion GFX's, but it looks like everything should be fine due to the MCW60 keeping the plate elevated above the only potential clearance issue). I'm planning on going with this setup for my new build--w00t for finally replacing my aging AXP/9800 "gaming" rig :woot:

Petra, why would you choose this route over say an EK block or a Stealth?

virtualrain
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
@Ian Y... what are you using today? What are you unhappy with currently?

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:26 PM
@Ian Y... what are you using today? What are you unhappy with currently?

I guess I still have the old school MCW60 plus a million heatsinks. I am unhappy that the Stealth is not any better performing than the MCW60, even though it has a GT/GTX base. I essentially just spend $220 for two pretty blocks, so that I can get rid of a million heatsinks.

Maybe I'm being too harsh because I haven't tried it yet. The memory cooling is said to be great, so maybe that itself is a redeeming quality.

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:30 PM
BTW, for your convenience, here are the Stealth results.

http://www.swiftech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:09 pm Post subject: Stealth vs MCW60 : comparative impact on CPU temps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM SETUP:

Asus P5B Deluxe
E6300 @ 1.425 V
(1) EVGA 8800 GTX @ Stock voltage

Cooling loop
Apogee GTX CPU cooler
MCR220, Fans @ 12V
MCP655-B
7/16" Tubing

TEST 1 with STEALTH GPU cooler in the loop

TATS
Delta T CPU to Air: 21.5 c

TEST 2 with MCW60 GPU cooler in the loop

TATS

We measured no difference in CPU temperature as a result of the installation of the Stealth.

MrToad
06-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Mr. Toad, why are you unhappy with your DD full-cover block? Is it the restriction imposed on the rest of your loop, your GPU temps, the impact it has on temps elsewhere in your loop, the quality, the look? I'm curious.

I'm unhappy because is screwed up (hence my "sloppy finish" comment).

The base of the block looks like a picture of the surface of Mars, and I have no means to correct it. Any attempt to lap it, with my (lack of) tools and expertise is going to make it even worse.

The channels are uneven to say the least, and it took a good deal of scrubbing with a toothbrush to get rid of the flakes. This came to my attention shortly after rigging it, when I saw tiny shiny little flakes blissfully travelling through the flow...

And then there's the unnecessary heat dump from the VRegs, memory... I have good airflow in my case and I don't mind an extra fan at all.

Edit: The problem with the block is all my fault. Any QC may let an odd one pass, specially under tight deadlines and surge in demand situations.

DD has a reputation for sorting out customer issues, however, due to unforeseen circumstances, it took me two months since the date of purchase to actually use it and find out about the issues, and when I did I just couldn't be bothered to deal with it.

I'm sure had I made DD aware of it they would have solved it on a satisfactory manner.

MrToad
06-08-2007, 12:35 PM
We measured no difference in CPU temperature as a result of the installation of the Stealth.

That, as posted in the relevant thread, tells me what I wanted to know ^^. I might actually be able to make a decision, which of course will avert the impending brain implosion.

nikhsub1
06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
BTW, for your convenience, here are the Stealth results.

http://www.swiftech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:09 pm Post subject: Stealth vs MCW60 : comparative impact on CPU temps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM SETUP:

Asus P5B Deluxe
E6300 @ 1.425 V
(1) EVGA 8800 GTX @ Stock voltage

Cooling loop
Apogee GTX CPU cooler
MCR220, Fans @ 12V
MCP655-B
7/16" Tubing

TEST 1 with STEALTH GPU cooler in the loop

TATS

TEST 2 with MCW60 GPU cooler in the loop

TATS

Link doesnt work

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah.. sorry.. you need to be signed up on Swiftech's forums as a member. Anyway, I posted the entire contents of the link.

nikhsub1
06-08-2007, 12:41 PM
Yeah.. sorry.. you need to be signed up on Swiftech's forums as a member. Anyway, I posted the entire contents of the link.
Yeah I figured. I signed up but it needs to be 'approved'. I'm not holding my breath :rofl:

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
What's the story about the FuZion GFX again? Its the same performance as the MCW60 ?

Why is it that we are stuck with the same performance as a one year old block?

carholmes
06-08-2007, 12:43 PM
We know the Stealth is restictive but is it more restrictive than a EK FC 8800 block?

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:47 PM
We know the Stealth is restictive but is it more restrictive than a EK FC 8800 block?

Does that matter? The Stealth provides better temps than the EK block. For now, its MCW60, D-Tek and Stealth on one level, then its EK, then something else, possibly Danger Den. I wonder how the Maze5 would be if it were able to be mounted on a G80.

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Now.. what if we put a bazooka amount of head pressure through a Stealth.. like an RD30 or two DDC+ ... maybe the Stealth doesn't do so well with just a D5.

Praz
06-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I've had a Uni-sink since Monday to go with the MCW60 that's also been sitting here. If I can get time this weekend to voltmod the GTX I'll get it all installed. First order of business for me is a trial fit to see if the thermal tape can be gotten rid of and Ceramique used instead.

Baleful
06-08-2007, 12:53 PM
What's the story about the FuZion GFX again? Its the same performance as the MCW60 ?

The GFX is supposed to have a huge pressure drop, and if i remember correctly, is only on par with the MCW60 if it's in it's own loop.

MrToad
06-08-2007, 12:53 PM
First order of business for me is a trial fit to see if the thermal tape can be gotten rid of and Ceramique used instead.

That's something I asked Petra on the Stealth thread as well. Would be interesting to know.

IanY
06-08-2007, 12:54 PM
This is a nightmare :)

Baleful
06-08-2007, 12:56 PM
This is a nightmare :)

Lol nah... it's fun trying all this stuff out, and comparing it. What's a nightmare is what it does to your wallet.... then when your wife founds out....:eek:

nikhsub1
06-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Please remember that GPU temps are less important than CPU temps - what I mean is that GPU's run happy up to 90C or so, CPU's do not. I would bet that a vid card GPU running at 40c or 50C would still OC the same... CPU's are different.

virtualrain
06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Please remember that GPU temps are less important than CPU temps - what I mean is that GPU's run happy up to 90C or so, CPU's do not. I would bet that a vid card GPU running at 40c or 50C would still OC the same... CPU's are different.

Agreed, even if volt modding your GPU, any of the solutions mentioned in this thread (MCW-60, D-Tek GFX, Stealth, EK FCB, DD FCB) will all provide ample temperature headroom. GPU overclocks with water cooling are voltage limited... not temperature limited.

If you are running your CPU in a separte loop than you you might as well pick the block you like the looks of the best since it won't matter one bit, which one you choose as far as overclocking goes.

If you are running your CPU in the same loop, then first, consider a separate loop, and then if that's not possible, choose the block with least restriction... which is likely the MCW-60, although we don't yet have verifiable data on the Stealth.

So IanY, since I suspect your run multiple loops, I'm not sure why you are so conserned about the Stealth's performance. Even if it's perforamnce is not up to that of the MCW-60 and the Uni-sink it won't matter... and it will look better than a turd! :p:

virtualrain
06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
One other thought for those of you who like the looks of the stealth but are not happy with the restriction... Gabe suggested you could mill down the pins on an apogee or MCW-60 plate (not sure which) and use it with the Stealth cover. You could use a dremel and do this and cut the pins down until the cooling/restriction is exactly to your liking.... want ultimate flow?... cut the pins completely off! Your own custom water block!

gabe
06-08-2007, 02:05 PM
In summary, I just spent $220 minus shipping for blocks that perform the same :)

I can assure you that if such is your inclination you will see the Stealth really shine in a volt modded card. Other factors in favor of a full coverage solution like Stealth remain system noise reduction, since you don't need a fan to cool the ramsinks & nvio chip, and simplicity of installation.

From a performance standpoint knowing that the MCW60 beat the DD solution by 10C here: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=9&artpage=2559&articID=554
and that the Stealth perfoms identically at +/1c from the MCW60, we do feel that we have a fairly decent offering for people who want a full coverage solution: ease of install, superb thermal performance of GPU & Memory, and a price that remains reasonable. I am still waiting for an EK block to measure against so until then, the Stealth might be king of the Hill among full coverage blocks.

We are still working on improving the flow rate. If it is possible to do, we will since after all every little bit counts.

IanY
06-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Gabe,

Understood. I need to get going on how to volt mod an 8800 :)

NaeKuh
06-08-2007, 11:14 PM
oooh... someone say multi loops??

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0721.jpg

:D

So yes, i will get whatever looks the prettiest, however my next blocks definitely need to have barbs pointing out and not up and down. So most likely i wont be getting FC blocks next time around.

I might just salvage my MCW60's :T

But 2 stealths with my GTX might look the prettiest. I would need to see pics... im suprised no one has posted them yet. :T

Angry_Steel
06-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Honestly I wish Swiftech would come out with something along the lines of the Dtek Unisink.
Sure, the little ramsinks work fine, except on the nvio chip, (I modded my own to fit on there) and if you use thicker hoses you have to be careful not to knock the little things off.
I just think a 2 piece set ( 1 for the nvio and 1 for the RAM) or a dedicated 1 piece would be ideal for the people who already forked out for the MCW60, without having to buy something from somewhere else.
Im sorry but for the same performance, (Im still performance orientated) why would I want to fork out 100+ for the same block I already have? I think you would sell 10x more of something like I described compared to the Stealth ( I may be wrong).

JargonGR
06-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I bought 2x Apogees 1U for my 8800GTX SLI and I have to say that my GPU temps are excellent. The cards are overclocked to 665 core/1650(around there) shaders but the memory will not do more than 2060 in very intensive games.

I am using MC14 ramsinks and it was a nightmare to fit! I had to sink them in alcohol and remove the thermal adhesive they had on and replace it with better 3M material. But still they are so sensitive that I am afraid to take out the cards from my case!

So a uni sink would be great in the future. Right now I am not wasting any money just to gain even 100Mhz in memory (I doubt it) and maybe 30-40 more in the core and that is with a volt mod.

virtualrain
06-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I bought 2x Apogees 1U for my 8800GTX SLI and I have to say that my GPU temps are excellent. The cards are overclocked to 665 core/1650(around there) shaders but the memory will not do more than 2060 in very intensive games.

I am using MC14 ramsinks and it was a nightmare to fit! I had to sink them in alcohol and remove the thermal adhesive they had on and replace it with better 3M material. But still they are so sensitive that I am afraid to take out the cards from my case!

So a uni sink would be great in the future. Right now I am not wasting any money just to gain even 100Mhz in memory (I doubt it) and maybe 30-40 more in the core and that is with a volt mod.

In order to get more out of your GPU memory, you will likely need to increase voltage (i.e. volt mod) and/or loosen timings... assuming you have good airflow overthose MC14 ramsinks. Improving cooling alone is unlikely to help you.

holwill
06-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Going to fit the D-tek Uniblock in conjunction with the Mcw60-r in a couple of hours, to me it looks like there will be no problems with clearances, but will report back and add a couple of pic's. Although there may be some clearance issues with the fan on my SB!

jagt
06-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Thanks holwill. Looking forward to your results and pictures! I'm looking at going down the same route myself soon.

Makubex_GB
06-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Thanks holwill. Looking forward to your results and pictures! I'm looking at going down the same route myself soon.

Ditto! :up:

I already ordered my Uni-Sink hoping it will fit with my MCW60.

Starscream
06-16-2007, 04:33 AM
im planning on getting the Uni-sink with a MCW60.

but does the Un-sink properly cool the ram? cause the area that covers the RAM is mostly flat no fins or anything.

i havent read anything about it not properly cooling the ram but i just wonder if it properly cools the ram with no fins at all.

Angry_Steel
06-16-2007, 05:14 AM
It will cool the ram just fine, vram doesnt get anywhere near the temps of the GPU so a hunk of aluminum is plenty if you have decent airflow.

Makubex_GB
06-16-2007, 06:21 AM
Still, I'm gonna find a way to get a fan or two under the Uni-Sink.

holwill
06-16-2007, 07:31 AM
Hi guys, firstly it fits fine with the Mcw60 there is no problems whatso ever with clearance you can get a cigarete paper between mcw mounting plate and the upright fins on the unisink ;) .However it just touched the fan on my SB so I cut away about 5mm from the inside edge, I do not think this is enough to be detrimental. Camera has a flat battery so it is charging at the moment, so I will add pictures shortly. Temperatures for me with ambients @23c with the system in my sig are as per pic using everest.

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Water%20cooling_/Temps/MCW/P6160062.jpg

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Water%20cooling_/Temps/MCW/P6160063.jpg

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Water%20cooling_/Temps/MCW/P6160064.jpg

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Water%20cooling_/Temps/MCW/P6160065.jpg

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Water%20cooling_/Temps/MCW/P6160066.jpg

http://www.r5jones.aquiss.com/Water%20cooling_/Temps/MCW/Gpu%20temps.jpg

That was after 30mins of playing Farcry all maxed out apart from HDR because it does some strange things atm, must be drivers i think.
My main problem atm is getting my exhaust fan back back in to my case, I am having some promlems with bracket and the water tubing. :( But overall it seems to sit idling about 35-36 and up as far as 45c so for me thats 25c drop all round:p:
I am using the supplied pads on the D-tek uniblock and Artic ceramique as supplied with mcw60.

MrToad
06-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Apologies for repeating myself beyond the annoyance point but...

Are you using the supplied thermal pads or you've removed them in favour of "regular" (Ceramique, MX-1...) TIM?

Starscream
06-16-2007, 01:03 PM
@Holwill
Thanx for the pics :up:

anyone got an idea when the Uni sink will hit europe?
got a 8800GTS coming coming week and am getting no response from Aquatuning (germany) on the question.

Cyprio
06-16-2007, 01:16 PM
@Holwill

got a 8800GTS coming coming week and am getting no response from Aquatuning (germany) on the question.

http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=34_39&products_id=224&osCsid=e438801e8187111c99edd7a92c219e07

Anemone
06-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Might want to check out (finger test if it's safe) the back of the board around the mem, nvio, and vr chips to just be sure it's taking the heat away. Saddest part about bad full coverage cooling is that the heat ends up seeming ok from the sink side, but turns out to be burning the card up on the back side.

Only mentioning that there's more than gpu temps being covered here. And I'm wondering if the nvio area needs more sink material. And like Starscream, I'm curious how well the ram gets cooled but I know it doesn't get really hot either.

Thanks!
:)

Dateranoth
06-16-2007, 05:53 PM
I got the Uni-sink in the other day and although I haven't had a chance to test it I did get it installed on the GPU. I had a problem getting it to mount properly. I was getting a visible gap between my ram and the sink. I eventually fixed the problem by cutting an extra 8800 bracket for the MCW60 and usint it to hold the sink down better around the gpu area. Will post more results when I can test it ( think I have a bad cpu though, so that might be a while. )

Dateranoth

Anemone
06-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Yeah, those thick pads are likely there because the surfaces aren't made to perfection, but it's not like it's hugely $$ either.

But memory temps and nvio temps, and the resulting back of the board temps are going to be interesting to see in action. Meaning in comparison to any of the full coverage systems using thermal paste and to the Enzo sinks using the thin thermal stick stuff (3M?).

Praz
06-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Yeah, those thick pads are likely there because the surfaces aren't made to perfection, but it's not like it's hugely $$ either.

Thick? The pads on mine are approximately 0.5mm/0.020" thick. about as thin as thermo pads get.

Anemone
06-17-2007, 02:54 AM
Sorry I went from a pic - so I'll stand corrected. sorry!

Starscream
06-17-2007, 03:11 AM
stupid question.

the Uni-Sink how is it attached to the card? i see holes but is it attached to the card with screws or just by the thermopads?

and them thermopads are they very sticky? so that if at some point i want to remove the uni-sink they are so sticky that i could dmg my RAM by removing them?

cause i am thinking of not using the thermopads but putting some AS5 orso on the chips.

I)ickie
06-17-2007, 05:07 AM
@Holwill

Does it fit the 8800gts? The compatibility only lists the GTX.

bito
06-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Mmmm....will that heatsink clear the SATA ports on an Asus P5K-Dlx anyone ??

sc00p
06-17-2007, 06:04 AM
We are still working on improving the flow rate. If it is possible to do, we will since after all every little bit counts.

Can I suggest (but you probably have already tested this) but MCW60B performs very well and seems to have great flow with ApogeeGT/-X base :cool:
And I did swapped that MCW60B's base to the Apogee... but yes of course... it needed ~3 mm riser plate between top and base (on GT's case). It's good enough base to cool down my naked C2D-6420.
And IMO it's worth to carve hole-edges of the tops so they are more round.

Praz
06-17-2007, 06:05 AM
As noted above, the pads are 0.5mm/0.020" thick. They are not sticky. The Uni-Sink is mounted to the card using the factory mounting and screws.

Angry_Steel
06-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Anyone who buys this thing be aware that at least on my card, Asus 8800GTX this thing only made contact with like 4 of the memory chips completely installed and tightened down. It also only made good contact with 1/3 of the voltage regulators. I would HIGHLY SUGGEST that you have an extremely hard look at the contact points on this before you throw it in the computer. Later on I will post some pics.

Anemone
06-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Interesting.

Anyone think it might work if we cleaned those pads off and put ceramique or something eqivalent on?

Dateranoth
06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I installed one, and from the look of the clearance, I highly doubt that is an option. Some sort of thermal pad, preferably one with a fair amount of stickiness would work the best. The thermal pads that come with the Uni-Sink are already really thick, and I still had problems with them contacting the ramsinks. As a matter of fact I had to cut a bracket to help hold the Uni-Sink down better. You can see my method in my work log. It's near the top.

I'm waiting on a mobo before I can post any performance specs. I had my 8800GTX stable at 972mhz ram with the ram sinks. So now I will have to compare to the Uni-Sink when I get it all up and running.

Dateranoth

EDIT: On second thought, going the route I did with the bracket, then you could probably get away with some sort of paste. Just have to be careful. I had a VISIBLE gap between some of the ram when I first installed my UNI-SINK.

ranker
06-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I installed one, and from the look of the clearance, I highly doubt that is an option. Some sort of thermal pad, preferably one with a fair amount of stickiness would work the best. The thermal pads that come with the Uni-Sink are already really thick, and I still had problems with them contacting the ramsinks. As a matter of fact I had to cut a bracket to help hold the Uni-Sink down better. You can see my method in my work log. It's near the top.

I'm waiting on a mobo before I can post any performance specs. I had my 8800GTX stable at 972mhz ram with the ram sinks. So now I will have to compare to the Uni-Sink when I get it all up and running.

Dateranoth

EDIT: On second thought, going the route I did with the bracket, then you could probably get away with some sort of paste. Just have to be careful. I had a VISIBLE gap between some of the ram when I first installed my UNI-SINK.

Just helped out a friend today and we ran into the same problem on one of his cards. We ended up adding another layer of TIM on the thermal pad itself just to get a sticky contact that would keep it in place.

Angry_Steel
06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Ok here are some pics:

Taking off my current sinks to install the Dtek

http://premium1.uploadit.org/AngrySteel//USK1.jpg

I always test seating with thermal compound before I ever install anything for 24/7, good thing too because this is absolutely horrible seating. This is after a full installation, with the MCW60/Unisink tightened down.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/AngrySteel//USK2.jpg

And the Unisink, notice the absence of imprints on most of the memory chips, except around the screw holes on the lower row. It makes good contact on the NVIO chip and the 3 outermost VR chips.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/AngrySteel//USK3.jpg

Basically the design is flawed because it really needs to be secured to the 4 center mounts too as in the reference cooler, Im not sure of the Fuzion GFX mountings, maybe they hold it down but on the MCW60 it doesnt. Here was my answer, I was too disappointed to waste more time making a hold down plate. The 2 rubber grommets hold down that thin back area where I dont see 1mm of daylight through the memory chips.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/AngrySteel//USK4.jpg

Other notes, I think its sort of a bad design for other reasons which didnt hit me till I put it in my case, the whole right angle Heatsink fins are pretty much designed for a fan on a side panel. Thicker thermal pads are fine I suppose, but beware tightening down too much, as you can see that there is a lot of pressure on certain points. Well...this is all the time I care to put into this thing, I will use it for awhile until I decide to just epoxy the copper ones back on. :)

Makubex_GB
06-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Hmmm, it seems I might be be selling mine right after I receive it without even opening it. It doesn't seem like it'll be worth removing the two fans I have pushing air up at the card on each side of my MCW60 for the Uni-sink if it doesn't make good contact with the memory.

Patriote
06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Hmmm, it seems I might be be selling mine right after I receive it without even opening it. It doesn't seem like it'll be worth removing the two fans I have pushing air up at the card on each side of my MCW60 for the Uni-sink if it doesn't make good contact with the memory.

Ahhhh! Ok im definitely getting a kit of swiftch's ramsink with some T412 tape for my 8800GTX and MCW60.

jagt
06-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Hm.. this blows. I was hoping I could avoid the ramsink hell this time. Blergh.

Petra
06-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Has anyone thought of using a bracket of some sort, sandwiched between the lip of the Uni-Sink and the MCW60's mounting post retention nuts? I'm guessing that would fix the problem...but would probably make the Uni-Sink incompatible with the D-Tek FuZion GFX (due to the different mounting hardware).

Dateranoth
06-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Has anyone thought of using a bracket of some sort, sandwiched between the lip of the Uni-Sink and the MCW60's mounting post retention nuts? I'm guessing that would fix the problem...but would probably make the Uni-Sink incompatible with the D-Tek FuZion GFX (due to the different mounting hardware).

I actually have already done this. Refer to these pictures :) :

Spare 8800 adapter plate:
http://home.comcast.net/~dateranoth84/8800adaptercut.JPG

Installed over Uni-Sink
http://home.comcast.net/~dateranoth84/adapterholdsunisink.JPG
No interference with the MCW60 at all.

This works well with the MCW60s and the thumb screws do clear, but I ended up replacing them with nuts because I THOUGHT they wouldn't due to improper MCW60 assembly. You can read my work log as to why that happened ;)

Dateranoth

holwill
06-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I hear what some of you guys are saying about zero contact with some of the ram chips and I had the same on the initial fit, but after changing my sequence of tightening the screws I have contact on all pads. I checked very carefully with maglight to see if there was any non-contact and all seemed ok for me! Maybe a bit premature to right it off. Maybe we should just mail D-Tek and ask for some more pads to be mailed out and double it up or advise then to use some thicker stuff like some shinetsu stuff i saw a couple of years ago.

Anemone
06-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm sure we'll have some more people testing as time goes on but this isn't a good sign for some of us. My ramsinks are sticking, and they are on there seemingly just fine. To think of ripping all those off, destroying the nice 3M tape in the process, which is hell to find btw, and then finding out that the Unisink doesn't make proper contact would be no fun at all.

Thicker pads are going to be worse at transferring heat as well. But I suppose it's not like the Unisink is super expensive. Just a bit disappointing is all.

But it's not like the Stealth covers the VR's either, nor do we have anyone yet testing it for good contact, so the options are limited.

Thanks for all the news though. Good pictures and lots of testing sure helps.

JargonGR
06-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Damn! I was hoping that i could avoid resticking all those MC14 after I take out my 2 GTXs for volt modding! The hell with it I am not paying anymore for crap like this. But I hate it that I will start the MC14 hunting all over.

holwill
06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I removed my heatsink yesterday and had a look once more and I can confirm I am getting light pressure on some of the memory chips and innermost vregs, I have applied some Tim and refitted it for the moment. I also e-mailed D-tek regarding this and received a response from Danny saying they were looking into a fix for this! Will post when I know some more.

Burn
07-03-2007, 07:21 AM
Guys, any idea if the Uni-Sink fits the GTSes? If so, how much modification is required, if any?

Petra
07-03-2007, 08:10 AM
Guys, any idea if the Uni-Sink fits the GTSes? If so, how much modification is required, if any?

The current version of the Uni-Sink is not compatible with the 8800GTS (the voltage regulator layout is different), it only works with the GTX and the Ultra. However, there is an 8800GTS version in the works.

Burn
07-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Cool- Any ETA on the new one? I am probably getting a GTS within a few weeks and will be looking to watercool it.

Petra
07-03-2007, 08:29 AM
Cool- Any ETA on the new one?

D-Tek's ETAs have been all over the place lately, so I'm really not sure when it'll be released--I've seen the prototype and that's about it.

Cyprio
07-04-2007, 05:16 AM
I have been thinking a lot about the RAM cooling dilemmas of using a universal GFX block recently. I figured if i took accurate measurements of my 8800 GTS what would be stopping me from asking an aluminium heatsink manufacturer from mocking me up a prototype.

Well, after a 30 minute discussion with an engineer today at such a place i am thinking it might be much harder/costly that i had initially anticipated. It took me about 10 minutes to explain to him why the hell i was using water inside a PC and also why i just didnt use a larger waterblock to cover the RAM as well. :) I finally convinced him that i wasnt mad and was honstely looking for his advice.

His comments:

1. It is actually pretty hard to get a great contact on all RAM modules as they will differ slightly in their heights due to the manufacturing process of the GFX cards. Obviously the base of the heatsink is very flat and will not make contact with all the modules if they are slightly different heights on different cards.

2. Having shown him my design (see below - sorry about the size) and have him pretty much rip it to pieces from a "difficulty to manufacture perspective" i showed him pictures of the D-Tek sink.

He said it looked like it was made via a combination of extrusion (making a mould and pushing the aluminium alloy through this for the desired shape) and milling off the bits you dont want. This is very costly, esp in the UK. He was saying it can cost in the £1000s just to make the mould. Costs for milling an existing heatsink design to the dmiensions of the GTS would be costing around £50-60 a go.

I am not going to give up though as i find the MC14s incredibly fiddly. I have contacted other companies for thier views and if need be i will be buying a relatively compatible 'rectangle' heatsink and milling it myself!

Turtle 1
07-04-2007, 01:35 PM

You do relize that built in sloppy finish of the DD-fullcover was more than likely done by design don't you. It would create some turbulance which if done correctly is desirable for cooling. But the basic design of the block itself isn't that good.

EKs work is some of the best I have seen on blocks . With 2 changes I could make it the best performing best flowing full cover block on the planet.

MrToad
07-04-2007, 02:13 PM
You do relize that built in sloppy finish of the DD-fullcover was more than likely done by design don't you. It would create some turbulance which if done correctly is desirable for cooling. But the basic design of the block itself isn't that good.

I can't comment on the "rough" finish on the channels. Was it intentional? I don't know.

However, the copper flakes, some already loose, others on it's way, which, shy of making a mess with sanding paper, I had to remove using a toothbrush, plus the deep scratches on the surface, both in the memory and the GPU areas, make for a truly sloppy finish.

EKs work is some of the best I have seen on blocks . With 2 changes I could make it the best performing best flowing full cover block on the planet.

With all due respect, although I have no reason whatsoever to doubt your skills, I fail to see what this has to do with the Uni-sink itself, or my dilemma between the MCW60 and the Stealth.

Besides, I've already made up my mind, and providing my 8800 is not volt modded, and that the Stealth is nowhere to be seen on this side of the Atlantic, I've gone for the tried and tested MCW60 + MC14s + MC21s route.

As posted many times before by other fellow members, removing the pads from the MC14s, then using regular TIM (MX-1 for me) and two tiny drops of loctite to hold them in place actually does the trick rather nicely.

The contact problems with the Uni-sink described earlier in this thread certainly influenced the final decision.

Ad1tya
07-04-2007, 02:28 PM
^^ Or, you could heat the Pads w/ a 40W Bulb for about 15 seconds and put em on :).

stormshadow
07-30-2007, 09:58 AM
more pics of mcw60 + UniSink pls

SNiiPE_DoGG
07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
FYI those pics of the dd8800 block that surfaced a while ago on XS were of a block that was mistakenly sent out from a bad batch (per the response their machinist gave me when i showed him the pics). I have see other dd8800 innards (sorry no pics) and they dont all look like that, the one i saw was very cleanly machined.

higgins
07-30-2007, 06:04 PM
so whats the word on the uni-sink and mcw60? is it worth getting one instead of the annoying ramsinks?

stoner
09-03-2007, 04:29 AM
new UNI-Sink

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/productimages/waterblocks/fuzion-gfx/FC8800-fpg.jpg

ok the picture is small.. but looks promising

Martinm210
09-03-2007, 07:36 AM
new UNI-Sink

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/productimages/waterblocks/fuzion-gfx/FC8800-fpg.jpg

ok the picture is small.. but looks promising

Wow...nice!

I always thought it was wierd that they didn't put many fins over the HSI.....that's the hottest chip of the bunch...but plenty of fins with this new one.

Starscream
09-03-2007, 07:46 AM
and when will this new improved Uni-sink see the light of day?

cause all of this is becoming pretty late seeing the 8800 has been out for a good while.

Cyprio
09-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Wow. Is that the real thing or a prototype? If so when is it out?

Looks very much like the one i wanted to get made (see a few posts back) but got told it would cost way too much! :D

Eddie3dfx
09-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Just so nobody gets toooooo excited too quickly, UNISINK WILL NOT WORK ON THE GTS!!!!
It only works on the gtx model.
I contacted them and they are still in the works on a gts prototype, but nothing as of yet

gatti-man
09-03-2007, 10:56 AM
So why all the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing about ramsinks? Just run atx-b and the ramsinks sit fine. My only :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: is that swiftech sells the 8800 kit with sinks that wont fit under the 1/2" barbs and i had to sand them down myself!

edit: wow i guess im bananas.

Patriote
09-03-2007, 11:16 AM
So why all the :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:ing about ramsinks? Just run atx-b and the ramsinks sit fine. My only :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: is that swiftech sells the 8800 kit with sinks that wont fit under the 1/2" barbs and i had to sand them down myself!

Or maybe you should clean your mouth :rolleyes:

Eddie3dfx
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I love swiftech products, but their vreg sinks don't stick at all!

Martinm210
09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I like this new sink. While the individual sinks work fine, I wasn't happy until I used artic adhesive on them which is permanent.

This new sink appears to address the contact problem around the GPU by incorporating what appears to be GPU bolt down holes also, and it has more fins which I like.

The GPU only blocks perform better than the full coverage blocks, so this is a worthwhile improvement IMO and I would buy it for my next 8800.

Starscream
09-03-2007, 06:09 PM

or you could simply just bend the pins.

gatti-man
09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
or you could simply just bend the pins.

i tried that but i was afraid they would simply snap off. As for cleaning my mouth they werent exactly curses sheesh. Thats why i made a comment.

Starscream
09-04-2007, 04:35 AM
i tried that but i was afraid they would simply snap off. As for cleaning my mouth they werent exactly curses sheesh. Thats why i made a comment.

nah they wont snap of aslong as you dont try 90 degree bends.

Id make a picture of one of mine if my cam wasnt so crappy.
The pictures keep ending up crappy cause the copper reflects the light.

gatti-man
09-04-2007, 06:11 PM
nah they wont snap of aslong as you dont try 90 degree bends.

Id make a picture of one of mine if my cam wasnt so crappy.
The pictures keep ending up crappy cause the copper reflects the light.

that was seriously the roughest part of my build. Sanding ramsinks that didnt fit by hand lol. I guess i should be glad.