PDA

View Full Version : ATI All in Wonder?

22b
06-18-2003, 05:30 PM
I am looking at this All in Wonder thing ATI has - I have a 9800 pro but no TV - I can get my $ back on my 9800 pro and pick up this AiW but wondering what it can do or if it can do what I want it to?

Can I watch TV via my PC? yes or no
Can I "backup/rip" TV shows to disk? yes or no

I dont think this is to unreasonable given the 9800 pro 256 $500 price tag.

If not alone, do you know what software allows me to do this together with the AiW?

Thanks for any info!

stoopid
06-19-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by 22b
1 -- Can I watch TV via my PC? yes or no
2 -- Can I "backup/rip" TV shows to disk? yes or no

3 -- If not alone, do you know what software allows me to do this together with the AiW?

1 -- Yes

2 -- Yes and No, depends on the show... but most standard television is recordable (can even use Guide+ as a timer to catch events when you're not around).

3 -- It's a copy protection issue for the most part. I can't backup VCR tapes to digital through the AIW because macrovision gets enabled when recording starts, and soft modding to remove the macrovision doesn't seem to work (not that I've tried :rolleyes: ).

There may be a way, but I never pursued it since I really don't care whether my rarely viewed VHS tapes get digitized.

22b
06-19-2003, 07:02 AM
yeah, I dont think I have any VHS tapes ;)

I was just wanting to know about DVD's and cable programming.

So I guess by your reply, you're saying that it works great (depending on the show)

stoopid
06-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 22b
So I guess by your reply, you're saying that it works great (depending on the show)

I can't confirm the show thing either, only that I know there's a way to scramble recording from paid channels, etc... whether that happens I wouldn't know as I've yet to record from a pay channel ('cause I don't have any).

Otherwise, for casual cable TV browsing and VHS tape watching I'm pleased. Sadly, I rarely watch TV so now I'm wondering if I'll be keeping cable past baseball season (which would defeat some of the purpose of buying the AIW).

JupiterSSJ4
06-23-2003, 01:45 PM
and the AIW has a sweet feature where the TV or video feed is transparent through whatever else you have open, it looks amazing.