PDA

View Full Version : Multimeter Questions.

Revv23
06-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Ok I pretty much know what I need to do, my Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200 128MB is exactly the same as this one:

http://www.maximumoc.com/img/hardware/4200_volt_mod/final_volt_mod_info.jpg

If you look at that picture, it has two leads soldiered to the board, for voltage checking, i have four questions about that:

1. Do I have to soldier on the leads to check my voltage?

2. Where can I check the Vcore voltage?

3. On my multimeter, there is about 15 settings, I borrowed it and it doesn't say how to read volts anywhere, what should i set it at? I believe I am supposed to set it to either ACV or DCV, but under each of those there are subcategories, for example, under DCV i can set it to 2.5, 50, 250, and 1000, and under ACV, I can set it to 10, 50, 250, and 1000. So, what setting should i have it at to read mem/core voltage?

4. When reading voltage does it matter which probe I touch to which electrical thingy? (Like, which should i touch the black wire too and which should i touch the red wire too?) or does this not matter? Can I do it when the PC is on?

5. LAst one, (Kind of, sorry I have so many questions... :p: ) For reading ohms on the multimeter there a few settings for that too, either RX1K, or RX10, which should I use? Also, on the side of the multimeter, there is a dial for ohms adjustment, i have no idea what this means, what should i do with it?

A few more OT ones :p: (Sorry!)

Where can I get the VR's cheap? (I believe i need a 5k one.) Radioshack?

Also, on my SC1102CS chip, I know which one to physically soldier (Actually but using SMD grabbers, but... ) but I'm not sure how to count them, I think I'm supposed to go counter-clockwise around the chip, but starting from where??

Sorry that was so long, thanks for any help. :)

Revv23
06-19-2003, 01:59 PM
C'mon guys! :(

dmitriyaz
06-19-2003, 11:56 PM
1) no. they just have to be attached. its always better to solder to make sure, though.

2) Vcore? there is no such thing in video cards :stick: the "core" in a video card is GPU.

3) DCV (dirrect current voltage), and choose the smallest number that is larger than what your voltage is gonna be. for example, if your voltage is under 2.0v, set it to 2.5

4) yes, it matters. if you have it wrong, you'll probably get an error, a zero, or a negative amount. depending on the kind of a multimeter. just flip it and youre good.

5) R = resistance, x = how many times, k = thousand. if you set it to Rx1k, and get number 3.5, that means your resistance is 3,500 ohms; or 3.5k ohms. dial? i have no idea. leave it alone.

VRs cheap? RadioShack often won't have what you need, and its expensive. try to find a real radio electronics store in your yellow pages.

correct way to count pins? try to find images of other people's mods, or google the chip for a diagram.

Revv23
06-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Thanks man that cleared everything up for me, I'm setting my Vmod up now. :toast: :D

Tekime
06-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Also, to clarify #4, you do want to check voltage with the PC on. Also always apply ground (black wire) first, then red. Whenj you're done reading, remove red first, black last.