PDA

View Full Version : A few Questions, Mobos & Heatsinks

Nightstalker
07-01-2002, 05:29 AM
Hello 2 Xtremesystems

I decided to buy a "new" sys, AXP 1600 AROIA-y + mobo with USB2 and Firewire onboard.

There r only a few boards avaliable (i think) the Abit A7T MAX and the ASUS A7V, my favors. Now I'd like to know which one 's better... :)

I also decided to buy tha ALPHA PAL 8046 heatsink but this thing doesn't fit the Abit board without modifications :( I think Asus has the best Layout but is the board stable?

R there some other GOOD boards with USB2+FW ?

Thanks ppl.
CU

N8
07-01-2002, 07:02 AM
I would go w/ the Abit & a Thermalright AX-7 or SLK-800 over the Alpha. Both run a hair cooler than the Alpha and aren't so big....price is the only diff, other than the SLK-800 should run about 3c cooler...just gotta decide whether 3c is worth the extra $20 :D

Nightstalker
07-01-2002, 10:10 AM
Ok, there's just one Prob...

I'm from AUSTRIA and there r only a few heatsinks avaliable

http://www.geizhals.at/?cat=cpucooler

And there r only 2 80mm Heatsinks, the SWIFTECH and the ALPHA. Swiftech is very expensive so there's only Alpha left.

I'd prefer "screw mounted" heatsinks since i've cracked my XP 1900 with a TT Volcano 7+ so... :rolleyes:

so... i guess theres only the Alpha... :(

2xD
07-01-2002, 10:13 AM
The Alpha fits all recently released Abit's as far as I know, including the AT7. It's a tight fit, but it fits. You won't be disappointed either, it's a lovely HS :)

Nightstalker
07-01-2002, 10:20 AM
yeah... the Alpha 8045 is a great hs, the best avaliable in my

But, the Alpha DOES NOT fit the Abit AT7 MAX :)

http://www.micforg.co.jp/mb_inf_pal8045e.html

It would, if you mod it a bit... however, it's... :(

rlemieux
07-01-2002, 11:09 AM
The coolermaster with the heatpipes is a great heatsink also. You might want to check it out. Also the MCX462 is a great heatsink also.

Nightstalker
07-01-2002, 01:08 PM
ok, i'll go get myself a Alpha with an YS TECH fan, those r pretty quiet and not as expensive as the Papst fans. I'm about to design a whole new case, somekind of a "stealth mod", it should be air cooled but silent so i think a large hs like the alpha would perform better...

Now back to the mobo question, i still like the Asus more, guess it's not bes overclockers board but the features are nice. Most "overclockers" in Austria told me the asus is "bad"... is it? can't belive... :)

greets

rlemieux
07-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Abit is my personal favorite, but Asus makes some nice products also. Epox has some nice boards too.

KnightElite
07-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Abit makes THE best boards. Period.