PDA

View Full Version : DFi Expert - 3 LEDS...no boot...

greatscott68
06-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Problems. Just attempted tp switch out the RAM in my sig with 2 1GB sticks of Mushkin XP4000, as well as break up my 4 drive Raptor Raid 0 stripe. Plan was to run the Redlines; use 1 74GB Raptor as a boot drive; and to use a brand new Seagate sata 500GB drive for games and storage. I did the switch - and now I can't post.

My steps:

1) Did a "pre-cmos" clear to lose all of the old RAM settings.
2) Attempted to fire the machine up with only the Raptor connected (the Seagate needs to have an install disk ran first)
3) Checked all of my wiring, as I did a lot of moving and unconnecting, etc.

This is where I'm at:

1) Machine powers up just fine. All fans, devices, etc.
2) For the sake of the issue, I've disconnected all devices, except for one VGA, one stick of RAM, and a single HD.
3) Machine attempts to fire up - gets stuck at 3 red diagnostic LEDs (can't detect RAM), and the power LED + HD LED BLINK rapid fire (on the front of my case.
4) It'll just keep doing this until I shut it down.

What I've tried:

1) Searching all of my forums that I belong to. I've found the issue here and there (just the 3 LEDs - not the rapidly blinking lights), and have tried the posted solutions.
2) Did the long CMOS clear for 24 hours (per Ex-Roadie's DIY forum) method).
3) Tried my old RAM + the Mushkin, one stick at a time - in each and every slot (even though the two inners won't post in a single stick setup - just for grins)
4) Tested my RAM one stick at a time, in my other machine - they all work just fine. BTW, the other machine runs a 165 + Expert - and both machines were just fine about a half-hour previous to the install. The other machine is running fine as I write this, with my old Corsair, full speed ahead.

I've built a few machines, and I'm really resourceful when it comes to forum searches, as I like to do things myself. But I'm stumped on this one. One thing that I noticed - the LEDS on my old Corsair sticks (they are good for something) were lit up intermittently as I tried to post. One yellow in the middle; a couple of reds, etc. Like I said, that particular RAM is cooking along in my other machine right now - so no issues there.

What am I forgetting? What's with the rapid fire power and HD lights on the front of the case? I've switched RAM a million times in this box, as well as chips, and adding HDs along the way (until I stopped at a 4 drive stripe) - and it's always been smooth as butter. The only thing I haven't done here, is to pull everything out, and lay it on my bench. I have three blocks worth of WCing + a quad HC - so it would be tough. I have all but the fans and D5 unplugged, so I didn't think it would really make a difference.

Thanx in advance for the help.

greatscott68
06-05-2007, 04:07 AM
Anybody??? Have tried switching bios chips, as well. No go.

Massive
08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I've the same problem, but it solved when I changed to slot 1 & 3.

3 led show that the problem is in your RAM, you should try changing BIOS maybe its just not matched with your mobo

greatscott68
08-05-2007, 09:13 AM
I've the same problem, but it solved when I changed to slot 1 & 3.

3 led show that the problem is in your RAM, you should try changing BIOS maybe its just not matched with your mobo

Thanx for the reply, but the thread and problem died a couple of months ago. One of the reasons I don't post often in this forum, as the few help threads I submit usually go unanswered. Regardless, the problem was solved by what I would basically call magic. Multiple long cmos clears...and it happened on the 7th try. Go figure.

Massive
08-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanx for the reply, but the thread and problem died a couple of months ago. One of the reasons I don't post often in this forum, as the few help threads I submit usually go unanswered. Regardless, the problem was solved by what I would basically call magic. Multiple long cmos clears...and it happened on the 7th try. Go figure.

hehe, sorry I thought you're still looking for an answer.

I've got the same problem, and it solved on clearing CMOS and changing RAM slot. It worked at my 2nd try, I guess I'm luckier then you :D.
This mobo is really picky about RAM, but I'm happy with this mobo now since I'm changing it with the Merlin BIOS

greatscott68
08-05-2007, 10:17 AM
What mobo are you using? Expert?

Massive
08-05-2007, 02:50 PM
What mobo are you using? Expert?

Yes, DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert

greatscott68
08-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Yes, DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert

Great mobo. I played with the Merlin bios for a while, but saw my best clocks with the 3/29 bios. Was able to take my old 165 to 9x339, and my 170 to 10x311, all Orthos stable. I'm playing with an e6600 now, so I don't play with the opty 170 machine any longer - just use it for gaming on the road.