PDA

View Full Version : My bandwidth went *poop*

mcflurry4321
06-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I have a ~10 mbit connection and for the past day or so MJ12 was more or less maxing it out. But I get up this morning and it's only going at anywhere from 100 to 600 KBits.

What happened?

hixie
06-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Happens to me quite often. I can't even get my 100Mbps connection to max out.

So i want to know whats happening, but i do seem to be uploading a huge amount of Data (MB) while having a low number of URLs crawled.

mcflurry4321
06-02-2007, 10:00 AM
So on your status tab in the downstrem box your current KBits is under 1000?

KILLorBE
06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
MJ12? Majestic 12?

Majestic 12 (also known as Majic 12, Majestic Trust, MJ 12 or MJ XII) is the purported code name of a secret committee of scientists, military leaders, and government officials, supposedly formed in 1947 by an executive order of U.S. President Harry S. Truman. The purpose was to investigate UFO activity in the aftermath of the Roswell incident, the purported crash of an alien spaceship near Roswell, New Mexico in July 1947. This alleged committee is an important part of the UFO conspiracy theory of an ongoing government cover up of UFO information.

Not sure if I want to help out;)

Did you check speedtest.net, dslreports.com/stest or similair?

@ hixie: LOL is it even possible to max out that kinda connection? I'm 'only' on a 24/24Mb connection (free upgrade from my ISP as they no longer provide a slower connection (Previously 10/10Mb)), and with my old connection I got up to ~15Mb, but I still didn't max out my current connection (OK maybe I'm not trying hard enough, but then again if I can possibly reach 30Mb/s down (Just an assumption as my new ISP probably leaves quite a bit of headroom) I'd probably need a couple of rigs and burn DVD's by the hour:rofl:

BTW: May I ask what you pay for your 100Mb connection, and is it sync? (If you prefer you may answer in a PM, ofcourse you don't have to answer at all).

mcflurry4321
06-02-2007, 11:58 AM
MJ12? Majestic 12?

Well considering I'm posting the the DC section under Majestic 12 section, I think it's safe to assume that I'm talking about the DC project :)

Speed tests still tell me that I have full connection, it's that all of a sudden MJ12 isn't using any of it.

KILLorBE
06-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Well considering I'm posting the the DC section under Majestic 12 section, I think it's safe to assume that I'm talking about the DC project :)

Speed tests still tell me that I have full connection, it's that all of a sudden MJ12 isn't using any of it.

I was just kiddin' (Hence the ;) ).

But as it seems that your connection is working fine I really don't have an answer...

mcflurry4321
06-02-2007, 02:14 PM
lol I know you were kidding, hence my :)

Yeah this is baffling me as well.

hixie
06-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Mcflurry at this current moment my downstream is 3915, doesn't seem to go any higher, sometimes drops as low as 34 (just earlier).

Killorbe, my 100M up and down line is $250 Hong Kong dollars a month, includes god knows how many broadband TV channels.

Maxing out my 100M line isn't that hard, i only need 2 machines and a software called bitcomet ;)

[XC] moddolicous
06-03-2007, 08:48 AM
MJ12's site might just be running low on good buckets (aka you'll get a group of websites from countries with bad connections). Pop over onto their forums and take a look. Also, it is VERY hard to max out a 10M connection with only 1 computer (short of a Kentsfield @ 3200 dedicated). Hixie, in order for you to max out your connection, you would need anywhere from 10-15 computers dedicated, and all conroes or better. What are you using as a router?

hixie
06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
currently, a d-link. Tried to get my IPCOP to work but IPCOP refused to get an IP from my ISP. :confused:

jspace
06-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Not many seem to be running this anymore. I've been having problems since I installed my smoothie. I also had a lot of torrents pending and finally decided to finish those. Usually when I have problems deleting everything and reinstalling fixes it. Just haven't gotten that far.

Thread hijack warning: I have the problem of grabbing about 10 buckets, finishing them, and getting no new ones. Running it tonight and getting about 2mbit on average so far. (I got a speed upgrade) Once I finish those torrents I will be repartitioning and moving Windows over to my slightly bigger (and faster) drive. Once that happens I will be running this again pretty much full force.

Movieman
06-16-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm back and will be at 100% in the next week.
Just on one machine now but that will change.

hey Joe: You said conroe or better?
What would happen if I put it on the clover with a 15mbit/2mbit line?:D

hixie
06-16-2007, 09:54 AM

Movieman, you still using those clovers? I thought you would have upgraded by now ;)

Movieman
06-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Movieman, you still using those clovers? I thought you would have upgraded by now ;)

Updated? To what?
Harpertowns aren't out yet.
I know, I have looked!:shrug:

hixie
06-17-2007, 07:24 AM
Updated? To what?
Harpertowns aren't out yet.
I know, I have looked!:shrug:

I remember you were in the server business, and just thought you might be using something hasn't be released yet :p:

Movieman
06-17-2007, 07:29 AM
I remember you were in the server business, and just thought you might be using something hasn't be released yet :p:

That's sort of a trick question as the clovers I have here are better than the best retail ones.
These are X5350 B3 ES's and are monsters.
3157/8mb/1403 on stock volts on air.
61C at 100% load in a 72F room..
They will do 3330 but only for a short bench but 3157 forever..
The key is in the chips and I came up with a simple HS/Fan combo that works excellent..worth 14C off of the stock Intel HS's..
Harpertowns aren't available anywhere yet..no one has them that I know of outside of Intel themself.

hixie
06-17-2007, 06:43 PM
That's sort of a trick question as the clovers I have here are better than the best retail ones.
These are X5350 B3 ES's and are monsters.
3157/8mb/1403 on stock volts on air.
61C at 100% load in a 72F room..
They will do 3330 but only for a short bench but 3157 forever..
The key is in the chips and I came up with a simple HS/Fan combo that works excellent..worth 14C off of the stock Intel HS's..
Harpertowns aren't available anywhere yet..no one has them that I know of outside of Intel themself.

:slobber: , what whould happen if you added a little more volts?

Movieman
06-17-2007, 06:54 PM
:slobber: , what whould happen if you added a little more volts?

My guess is maybe 3400-3500 tops on water..The heat will go up fast.
Kaz-n ran a system close to mine with same cpu's to 3789 on water for a 8 second cinebench run.
Victor Wang has the same setup I have and is experimenting with it now.
Can't wait to see what he learns.
He knows a hell of a lot more than I do!:fact:

[XC] moddolicous
06-18-2007, 11:06 AM

I'm sure a clover might be able to max out your line. The only problem I can think of would be compressing, as the LZMA compression isn't multithreaded. BTW, I may also be coming back IF I can get our network problems sorted. 3rd time is the charm for IPCOPs I hope. I want to retake those Norwegians.

Frisch
06-19-2007, 03:04 AM
moddolicous;2260628']I'm sure a clover might be able to max out your line. The only problem I can think of would be compressing, as the LZMA compression isn't multithreaded. BTW, I may also be coming back IF I can get our network problems sorted. 3rd time is the charm for IPCOPs I hope. I want to retake those Norwegians.

Please come back moddo, we're not scaring anyone. ;) :)

Movieman
06-19-2007, 08:03 AM

Except each other..:shakes:

hixie
06-19-2007, 08:39 AM

LOL, yea!

I really want to max my connection, my system is not the bottleneck ATM, i think i'm just not getting any good buckets to max my workers.
I might have to go with more computers :(

[XC] moddolicous
06-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Last comp is tomorrow (comprehensive exam worth 1/2 my grade for the YEAR :eek: ). Once I have finished that, I will drive home (did I mention I passed my roadtest) and get windows up and running on my computer downstairs. After that, I will run it and see what happens to our current router. If it freezes, I might need more time. If it works, then I'll be back. Either way, expect me to show some results by July 1 the latest.

Frisch
06-19-2007, 10:59 AM
I get a shock when someone throws a bucket on the stats, it's almost unreal. :D

LOL, yea!

I really want to max my connection, my system is not the bottleneck ATM, i think i'm just not getting any good buckets to max my workers.
I might have to go with more computers :(
When i get some com, they hang, but i'm not getting what i'm asking for, so it smells like we're at the end of a load from Alex, and some new ones should be on their way, i hope.

moddolicous;2262679']Last comp is tomorrow (comprehensive exam worth 1/2 my grade for the YEAR :eek: ). Once I have finished that, I will drive home (did I mention I passed my roadtest) and get windows up and running on my computer downstairs. After that, I will run it and see what happens to our current router. If it freezes, I might need more time. If it works, then I'll be back. Either way, expect me to show some results by July 1 the latest.
Fingers crossed.

Frisch
06-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Typical, it never adds up, moddo joins in, and I have to sadly tell, this day will be without me, things to do.

And i'm still getting these annoying com domains, which hang, leaving me with over 100 open.
Try to clean the mess up from time to time, lowering the open buckets, but it ends the same place after some hours of crawling.
Waiting for a new load of url's.

[XC] moddolicous
06-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Yea, I noticed that too. It seems we need some new buckets. BTW, this is only the beginning. I would watch your slice of the daily pie Dave

Frisch
06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Confirmed, Alex wrote that we are indeed at the end of a load, and should ride out the storm, and he'll soon upload a bunch of new Url's.
Most of us are struggling with hanging com./ bad data.

[XC] moddolicous
06-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Seems better since I switched to the other library. Just have to finish tweaking some settings and I should be good to go.