PDA

View Full Version : i'm a noob please help

shp1124
06-17-2003, 03:11 PM
i have 2 questions i need cleared first of all my rig is nothing special msi kt3 ultra 1800+xp 768 megs pc2100 kingston 60 gig 7200 rpm hd geforce3 ti500 i dont overclock cuz i'm paranoid bout ruining my computer because i used to use a 533 celeron so you could imagine how much i cherish my new computer which i built. anyway the inside of my computer is pretty sloppy and so far the only cooling i have in my rig is my psu exhaust fan my cpu hs and fan and i have the side panel of my case off i my ide wires are pretty messy and clump up a lot of space would the round cables make much of a difference in cooling? and my 2nd question i used to have a thermaltake dragon orb 2 and it was way 2 loud and my idle and load temps were 43C/50C i got a new fan which was suppose to cool it to around 38C load but my cpu is still at 43C/47C idle/load i have arctic silver on it what should i do? please experienced people help out a man with much trouble post or im me on aim hoon1124 thanx very much

KnightElite
06-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Why do you need 100 posts?

Anyway, I would recommend that you get an SLK-800 with an 80mm fan to replace your current heatsink. And if you have no real case airflow, and the case side off, then don't bother with round cables.

JBELL
06-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Marine_1
to be able to get into the vip area

VIP Lounge is by invitation only...

classifieds is 100 posts - nonspam posts

Charles Wirth
06-17-2003, 03:51 PM
Shp1124, Welcome to Xtremesystems!

Round cables would help a lot, also add a 80mm case fan in front of the case sucking air into your case to that the PSU fan is the exhaust. Clear all obstructions from above the CPU, tuck and hide cables if possible.

Teus
06-17-2003, 07:45 PM
first advice: use periods to create sentences ;)
second: clean up everything. you don't need rounded cables immediately. take som zipties and strap the IDE cables together

third: get some airflow. if you can't place any fans into your system, buy another housing (for 100€ you can already get a well-cooling design case)

fourth: your CPU isn't cool enough, that's because of the crappy airflow. fresh air can't get to your CPU, and the hot air doesn't get out of the case fast enough. so, your CPU is heating the entire housing and itself. take away the sidepanel, and you'll notice your CPU will be colder. with that crappy case I guess it'll be about 5degrees colder or even more.

what's your casetemp, and what CPU cooler do you have?

Tedinde
06-17-2003, 07:51 PM
to be able to get into the vip area

VIP lounge is the place to be!!! I'd quit my job to hang out in there all day!! Man you dont know what your missing. You'll see one day.

TheDude
06-17-2003, 08:13 PM
Shp1124, Welcome to Xtremesystems!

I sent you a rather long PM in response to yours. I see you posted as I suggested. Hope you like it here and decide to stick around! :D

felix88
06-17-2003, 10:59 PM
4 things:

1st, shp1124, WELCOME TO XTREME!!!

2nd, improve your airflow. what kind of HSF are you using? i think these have both been said already.

3rd, what the hell is this "VIP lounge" thing i keep hearing about. i must be special, because i haven't got a clue here.

4th, JBELL, if it's 100 nonspam posts, you'll never get into the classifieds. ;) :p:

shp1124
06-18-2003, 02:41 PM
well before i had my side panel off and today i just bought a slot fan for under my vid card and a case fan and i put the side panel back on and my cpu temp is at 46 C bah man this is annoying
is 46C high for an xp i hear they get hot

shp1124
06-18-2003, 02:42 PM
my hsf is a cud-725 here's a link
http://www.nexfan.com/evcucoacofrs1.html

TerroH8er
06-18-2003, 03:41 PM
46*C is pretty acceptable but I think you should be able to get a little more out of that copper heatsink. How much AS3 did you apply? it should be a thin layer, a "translucent haze". Also cleaning up your cables would help a LOT. As Teus suggested, zip ties or spiral wrap is great for the job of keeping all the wires tidy and organized.

Also, what is the placement of your fans? You should have your fans set up so the fan in the front bottom is intake and the rear fan is exhaust.

Overall though, it's nothing to worry about it, 46*C is fine.

shp1124
06-19-2003, 05:49 AM
i have nowhere in the front bottom of my case to intake that's my problem i think i need to get a 5.25 bay slot intaike fan

sandman
06-19-2003, 07:29 AM
just cut a hole in your case.

shp1124
06-19-2003, 11:48 AM
i dont have anywhere to cut in the front of my case

CCW
06-20-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by shp1124
i dont have anywhere to cut in the front of my case

I imagine you have a pretty small case then as most have a good bit of space perfect for whole cutting.

WELCOME TO THE XTREME!

Felix good one! VIP area is just for very important persons, we re not :D!

Craig

antipop
06-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by felix88

4th, JBELL, if it's 100 nonspam posts, you'll never get into the classifieds. ;) :p: :rotf: :lol: :rotf: :lol: BURN :flame:

Back to the thread, removing the side panel won't do much if you have bo air mobing inside. It'll help of course and you'll notice a drop. I've the side panel off and i decided to add some case fan and the drop was huge, i went from 30°C to 25°C inside the case (it's pretty hot nowadays). Buy some good case fan like 3 or 4 and put them in intake and at the back

Royal Oaks
06-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Depending on the flow inside your case, taking off the panel will give different results. If you have good solid air-flow that is being brought in and promptly being sent away, removing the side panel will only increase temps. However, on a system with very few or no case fans, taking off the side panel can drop temps considerably. Also, temps aren't that important at all, unless you are experiencing random reboots. Hell, I went home to check on my moms computer, and the heatsink was half way off the CPU (Slot A). When I cleaned up the case I realized the thing was messed up, and repaired it. The CPU must have been well over 60C, but it was still working fine. In short, unless you are getting reboots and all, I wouldn't worry about temps (Unless of course your plan is to OC heavily, and then that's a whole nother story :)).