PDA

View Full Version : bent fins on rad?

dietwaterrr
05-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Do bent fins on rads effect the performance? I just received a mcr220 from performance-PCs.com with like 20+ bent fins... usually a couple wont bother me but 20+ bent fins is a lot...

danks
05-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Depending on how bad they are bent it could reduce or stop the airflow through the rad and consequently effect performance. I purchased a mcr220 from jab-tech and had a few bent fins as well. You can just use a very small flat head screw driver and carefully bend them back.

Jedda
05-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Blocking airflow is were performance is effected. Only you can see how much of that there is.
Assuming it's shipping damage I'd be considering sending it back to avoid any unseen damage caused by an impact. Cracked or weakened seams that develop a leak after some time passes would be my fear and motivation for a replacement even if time consuming.

dietwaterrr
05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
well if its not going to effect the performance that badly, im not going to send it back because i dont want to pay shipping prices. u think performance-pcs will reimburse my shipping price with money or even credits?

Sideroxylon
05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
well if its not going to effect the performance that badly, im not going to send it back because i dont want to pay shipping prices. u think performance-pcs will reimburse my shipping price with money or even credits?

I doubt it. Give them a call though and see what they say. Bent fins are fairly common and usually that's all they are, just bent fins. Bend them back and the rad should be fine.

septim
05-30-2007, 02:51 PM
bent fins is normal as long as said fins are still attached then simply use needle nose/long nose pliers and bend em back to normal gently...

Marci
05-31-2007, 02:01 AM
If a fin is bent to the point that it meets the next fin, then this cuts off airflow thru the rad at that point thus reducing airflow thru the rad, and thus affecting performance. If you can bend the fin back to more or less it's correct position, this removes the obstruction to airflow, and all performance is thus restored.

dietwaterrr
06-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Alright thanks a lot for the help.

ranker
06-01-2007, 10:44 PM

Doubt it. Hank appears to be the sorta guy that only cares about the bottom line. He has his days though. Some days I can squeeze some concessions out of him and some days I can't. Won't hurt to try.