PDA

View Full Version : Please, I need an advice about watter cooling :)

gOJDO
05-30-2007, 06:27 AM
I have the rig in my sig and I want to replace my current after-market cooler(Asus Silent SQUARE) with a watter cooling.
I have no experience with watter coolers and I would ask those who have to recommend me one for $200.
I want my OC-ed stuff (CPU, chipset and graphics card) to be cool. :)
Sometimes in October I plan to upgrade my system with Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 and Yorkfield/Kenstfiled. Also I am going to buy a nVidia 8800 graphics card.
So, the watter cooling should be powerful enough to cool down these overclocked components.

Thanks for any advices and recommendations.

carholmes
05-30-2007, 08:58 AM
If you want to go the custom route, $200 will not be enough for a quality loop with three blocks. With 200 you could get a great cpu-only loop and later on add a GPU and chipset block. And please don't waste your money on a kit. With a kit you would probably end up wasting your money by upgrading alot of parts or just geting rid of it becase of the disapointing temps and quality. The only quality kits I know of that are reccomended are Petra's kits found at shoppts.com and maybe the high-end Swiftech kit.

For around $200 you could get:
D-tek Fuzion CPU block
Swiftech MCP655 pump
10ft Masterkleer 7/16ID 5/8OD tubing
Dangerden Fillport
1/2" T fitting
10 Plastic clamps
Swiftech MCR320 Rad
x3 Yate Loon fans

Without shipping all this at Jab-tech.com is $216.14

The only other things you'll need is some biocide (PT Nuke biocide is found at shoppts.com) and a few gallons of distilled water.

The good people at the water cooling section would be able to help you alot more than I have.

perkam
05-30-2007, 10:30 AM
:stick: Belong's in Maxx's domain.

Perkam

Ad1tya
05-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Theres no way you can Cool your Graphics Card and Chipset (NB) with that budget.

You need atleast a 300-350$ budget for that.

carholmes config seems fine. Only CPU is cooled though.

newls1
05-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I could help with an external cooling setup....

gOJDO
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
10x for the replies.
I will skip the NB, because the cooling on the GA-P35-DS4 is quite good.
I can get Cooler Master Aquagate for a very decent price, $80 ($130 on Newegg). Would it be enough for the CPU alone?

gOJDO
05-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I could help with an external cooling setup....

How :) ?

BTW, I am noob about water cooling.

Sparky
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I'd stay away from the aquagate. Or the koolance systems. Or Tt systems. Only kits I'd recommend are the ones on Petra's Tech Shop, or newls1's external waterkegIII :)

Other than that, I'd go custom, but the cost will be more than $200. I ended up spending about $400 on my loop.

Ad1tya
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
You can find out about newls1's WaterKegIII here > http://www.petrastechshop.com/newa.html

Great stuff :)...

Sideroxylon
05-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Spending less now will cost you more later. A low grade wc'ing kit is no better than a high-end air cooler. Do yourself a favor, read the stickies and then ask some questions. Listen to what the people in this thread have told you so far. Their advice is sound.

septim
05-30-2007, 03:01 PM
yep stay away from pre made kits, they'll cost more for less performance.
what you'll probably need for now CPU cooling which can also cool a Quadcore would be the fuzion or apogee gtx.

single loop setup go with T-line/res + pump (ddc with top or d5) rad (mcr320 or the king thermochill PA120.3) + cpu block (fuzion or gtx)
plus the recommended accesories. all a liitle more than $200 with shipping and duties.

so we'll probably suggest to you to save up a little more for now. so that when you do start watercooling, you'll start it right and not have regrets later on...

Mekrel
05-30-2007, 03:17 PM
I would go with newls1 external setup here. The full quality and performance of custom parts with the added bonus of it all being setup for you.

You can the buy some PCI bank plates with holes already in them to pass the tubes through - wouldn't even have to cut your case.

@septim - that picture in your avatar makes me laugh, the coke bottle is near enough as big as him haha!

NaeKuh
05-30-2007, 03:45 PM
ACK didnt see kents...

ummm.... not possible with a kent. These guys are extremely HOT.

Yorkies i have no idea on. We need to see penryn before we can tell you.

But if your interested in yorkies, why is your cooling budget so low? >.<

ranker
05-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I have the rig in my sig and I want to replace my current after-market cooler(Asus Silent SQUARE) with a watter cooling.
I have no experience with watter coolers and I would ask those who have to recommend me one for $200.
I want my OC-ed stuff (CPU, chipset and graphics card) to be cool. :)
Sometimes in October I plan to upgrade my system with Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 and Yorkfield/Kenstfiled. Also I am going to buy a nVidia 8800 graphics card.
So, the watter cooling should be powerful enough to cool down these overclocked components.

Thanks for any advices and recommendations.

Don't skimp now. You'll regret it later on and end up having hundreds (or in my case thousands) of dollars of wasted stuff you won't use when you finally decide on what's optimal for you.

It's better to just save up and buy the best so that adding additional blocks to your loop later on won't require you to redo your entire setup. That being said, I'd REALLY really stress that you make your pump and radiator your priority. Those can be reused time and again down the line. Waterblocks will be interchanged often, but those two components won't.

I'd suggest a DDC-2 w/ modded top (Petra's) and a Thermochill PA120.3 to get you started. From there on out, it'll just be a matter of preference on your block style.

gOJDO
05-31-2007, 07:26 AM
Guys, thank you very much for your inputs and advices. You prevented me from buying cheap crap. After reading your comments and some googling about watter cooling(this (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=105157&page=1&pp=20) has inspired me) I decided to make a custom external cold water cooling :). It will cost me more money and some time, but it will be a kick ass cooling. It will probably be much better than any water cooling available on the market.
I've decided to make a custom(hand made) fridge with a big(5 to 10L) reservoir and powerful pump(20 to 40W). I will start the project at the end of June and I'll open a thread and post the details. Off course I'll need some help and it will be appreciated.
Because where I live the hardware stores almost have no WC stuff, I'll have to order stuff from another country. So far for beginning I'll need the best blocks for CPU and graphics cards. Can you please tell me what are the best GPU & CPU blocks and who sells them in Europe?

Thank you again, for your help and advices

Friedchicken
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
D-Tec Fuzion for the CPU, EK or Swiftech for the GFX.

Good luck on your project.

NaeKuh
05-31-2007, 01:35 PM
your better off using a compressor from an AC.

Fridges will burn out after a few months. You should goto the chilled liquid cooling forum and ask for help there. You'll get more accurate answers in that forum then here.

teyber
05-31-2007, 06:13 PM
yeah, don't use a fridge. They are not ment to handle that. Instead get someone to make you a chiler/SS

gOJDO
06-01-2007, 03:21 AM
Indeed, I'll take a look and get myself informed before I start the project. But
why would fridge burn out after few months?:confused:
I have fridges running for years, one of them(Bosch) from 1947, never failed and still working(my father has changed the lights once). :D
Anyway I'll use over-designed fridge and pump

septim
06-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Mekrel, lolz, thanks for the comment.