PDA

View Full Version : With all the bi-metal problems and controversy going on, how safe is brass in a loop?

C'DaleRider
05-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm so new to wc'ing, I still get a tad confused. I know and understand not to mix aluminum and copper in a loop.....have had boats and in salt water, motors have to use sacrificial anodes to save the rest of the motor from galvanic corrosion.

But how about brass? I really don't want to use plastic any more than I have to, and plan on putting a T-line in the loop. Have found a nice brass 3-way "T" I can use instead of the usual plastic one. Think it'd look decent polishing it before installing it........

I know that some radiators are made with brass, at least initially, in their construction. But I've not found anyone mentioning having naked brass in their loop with or without success....can it be done safely or just go plastic. Honestly, the price for the brass piece is just barely more than the plastic part.

Thx!!!

NaeKuh
05-29-2007, 02:30 PM
lol..... brass is a alloy hybrid of copper and zinc.

Its completely safe with copper.

ranker
05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
I'm so new to wc'ing, I still get a tad confused. I know and understand not to mix aluminum and copper in a loop.....have had boats and in salt water, motors have to use sacrificial anodes to save the rest of the motor from galvanic corrosion.

But how about brass? I really don't want to use plastic any more than I have to, and plan on putting a T-line in the loop. Have found a nice brass 3-way "T" I can use instead of the usual plastic one. Think it'd look decent polishing it before installing it........

I know that some radiators are made with brass, at least initially, in their construction. But I've not found anyone mentioning having naked brass in their loop with or without success....can it be done safely or just go plastic. Honestly, the price for the brass piece is just barely more than the plastic part.

Thx!!!

Alu is all you really need to worry about. The only other metals and alloys used in WC'ing are brass, nickel, copper, gold and silver. None of which will cause problems like Alu.

C'DaleRider
05-30-2007, 04:04 AM
Thx to both of you......you confirmed what I was thinking but wanted to make sure before I made a dog's breakfast out of my build-in-progress loop.

:)

NaeKuh
05-30-2007, 07:15 AM
Thx to both of you......you confirmed what I was thinking but wanted to make sure before I made a dog's breakfast out of my build-in-progress loop.

:)

anytime~

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Polizei
05-30-2007, 07:20 AM
have had boats and in salt water, motors have to use sacrificial anodes to save the rest of the motor from galvanic corrosion.

Same goes for fresh water boats too. Its not necessarily there to save the engine, but more so the outdrive, from what Ive noticed. I used to work at a boat repair shop.