PDA

View Full Version : For those with high-end heatsinks and bad temps (esp. with quads and TR-U-e)...

Speederlander
05-28-2007, 04:55 PM
If you have a high end heatsink (Enzo or TR ultra 120 extreme---I haven't tried it with other sinks so take your own chance) and you have tried these:
1. Lapping CPU
2. Lapping Heatsink (not needed with enzo, highly recommended with TR Ultra 120 E since many have raised center points or lines on the base)
3. Getting rid of all the standard mounting issues like cap interference, bad TIM application, etc.

...but still not so hot (or actually it IS still so hot :p: )

Seriously consider removing the frame around the CPU.

My Ultra 120 extreme dropped my CPU about 6 to 8C in temps (idle!!) when I removed the latching frame. Sometimes that thing just gets in the way and prevents ideal contact to the CPU. The Ultra 120 extreme lends itself well to this with its easily accessed screws (from the top, use a magnetic screwdriver...please) that clearly have a "final" hardstop position when screwed to full deflection. I also got nice improvement doing this when I was using the Enzo. Removing the frame is easy, just don't force it and bend something. Little bit of force with a light twist will do the deed.

You have to be careful, because the mobo CPU socket pins are DELICATE, so do this at your own risk. You need to align everything well when you set the heatsink down, don't drag it around when already touching the CPU in its socket trying to fix your alignment and don't lift it off again (you will bring your CPU with you). If you do lift it and bring your CPU, don't try to put it back into place with the CPU stuck to the bottom just because it seems easy and quick. You will bend pins. Take off your CPU and start over.

I am running a 48 hour Prime95 small fft stability test on my QX6700 with 1.5 vcore BIOS and 1.46 vcore actual at load (451 x 8) and my temps with Ultra 120 extreme are 65,65,60,60 degrees C (as measured by coretemp) with 22 C ambient (though my 76mm delta is running full out for this). I would like to see people on water get much better than that with this OC and volts after a half day or more of full-on prime, no matter what fans they stick on their rads. My 65 to 60 C spread on my cores is built in to the CPU. It's been that way with every heatsink and after every re-seat.

Also as a side note, use Liquid Metal Pro. It is clearly better than AS5 and doesn't "fuse" the CPU to the heatsink as many insist. I have used it several times with no problems removing after it had set. Just pop it off the heatsink with a razor blade. You will probably have to do a couple minutes of lapping to get off the "stain" of gallium that is bonded into the first few micro-inches of copper of the heatsink/CPU IHS.

Also, if you have a 120 extreme with that clear/white-ish plastic washer on the frame around the screw, just pull it off (it's not under the screw, it's glued on). It makes alignment a pain the a** otherwise.

dinos22
05-28-2007, 05:12 PM
your temps are very good

what MHz are you on?

and what ambients

open bench?

Speederlander
05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
your temps are very good

what MHz are you on?

and what ambients

open bench?

3.6 GHz (451 x 8), 22 C ambient, 1.46 vcore actual at load (1.5 vcore set in BIOS), semi-open (case is sitting open with side off at the moment as I mess with different configurations). However my delta intakes cool air directly from outside the case (never recycling air) so the CPU is almost completely immune to the usual issues of open case vs. closed vs. open air.

76mm delta is PERFECT for the ultra 120 extreme, btw., with its high CFM/high air pressure. It stays on with no issue at all using stock 120 extreme mounting for fans and it's not too heavy. You can crank it for benching and stress tests and turn it back down for day-to-day (and still have very high CFM and air pressure). At 50% it puts out better CFM than any other non-high performance (greater than say 110 CFM) fan out there and its a barely audible low rumble. It's not loud in a bad way even when its running maxed out, not high pitched. If you fold or something, crank the fan when you leave and reap the benefit. Ultra 120 extreme LOVES high CFM fans.

When I take my computer into work sometime this week or next I will post some pics, but its really pretty self-explanatory. Also, I have everything in TJ-07 with ultra 120e mounted long-ways parallel to the ground for best heatpipe performance. I intake from the top and move it down and out (yes, I am fighting convection, I know).

Next task is fixing my GTX heatsink.

ineedaname
05-28-2007, 06:55 PM
hmm i might try this out when i get my tr u e

IAmATeaf
05-29-2007, 08:03 AM
What frame are you talking about? My DS3P doesn't have any plastic frame around the CPU.

EDIT: Just re-read your post, I see you're talking about the metal latching frame that holds the CPU in place.

Ar3s
05-29-2007, 08:08 AM
when I removed the latching frame.
i believe he is.

mrcape
05-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Cool tip!

I'm just about to assemble a p5k-dlx with an Ultra120 and I want to lock this thing down as much as possible. I've been seeing a lot or reports of the sink being able to move/rotate. is this a non issue with this mod?

About the fans on the Ultra 120. I have the regular Ultra 120 and I have these fans here at my office to choose from -

Scythe Sflex 1600
Silenx ixtrema 120 - 90cfm
Aerocool Xtreme Turbine - 90cfm
Scythe Minebea 80mm

I'm also going to have an HR-05 on the NB, parallel to the 120. I cut a 120 hole in the top panel of my case and I was thinking I could make it all flow out the top.

From bottom to top it would go -

hr05 > 80mm fan > Ultra120 > 120mm fan > blow hole

All blowing upward. Any suggestions which fan to attach to the Ultra 120? If it likes high cfm that's good news.

Speederlander
05-29-2007, 09:23 AM
What frame are you talking about? My DS3P doesn't have any plastic frame around the CPU.

EDIT: Just re-read your post, I see you're talking about the metal latching frame that holds the CPU in place.

Yup, see here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115252

From that thread (credit to freecableguy):

http://members.cox.net/kjboughton/IHS5.JPG

http://members.cox.net/kjboughton/IHS6.JPG

http://members.cox.net/kjboughton/IHS8.JPG

Speederlander
05-29-2007, 09:30 AM
I'm just about to assemble a p5k-dlx with an Ultra120 and I want to lock this thing down as much as possible.
That's what I am running at the moment.

I've been seeing a lot or reports of the sink being able to move/rotate. is this a non issue with this mod?
Some people seem to have more trouble that others. I removed the plastic washer and have had no issues. Doesn't mean you will be the same however. There is a mod thread for excessively loose 120 ultra extreme. Check that out. Mount the Ultra with simple AS5 and the frame the first time to check how it is. If all is good, take it apart and remount without frame and with LMP.

About the fans on the Ultra 120. I have the regular Ultra 120 and I have these fans here at my office to choose from -

Scythe Sflex 1600
Silenx ixtrema 120 - 90cfm
Aerocool Xtreme Turbine - 90cfm
Scythe Minebea 80mm
Dunno. My delta is a monster. I tried the recommended papst medium airflow from the fan round-up thread and I wasn't impressed (at least with it on the ultra...I am using them now as general case fans). Ultra 120 eX likes high flow, especially in bench/stress test situations.

I'm also going to have an HR-05 on the NB, parallel to the 120. I cut a 120 hole in the top panel of my case and I was thinking I could make it all flow out the top.

From bottom to top it would go -

hr05 > 80mm fan > Ultra120 > 120mm fan > blow hole
I would rather fight convection and always use "clean" air (i.e. pull it from the top), but you really have to try for yourself and see. It's case dependent.

phelan1777
05-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I have a lapped Qcore, and its under water, I was debating pulling off the brace.

When I get my chip back, if Philly_boy doesn't freeze the damn thing, I will put it back under water and see what I get for temps.

mrcape
05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks again! This is great info.

lad
05-29-2007, 11:00 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136790

It's cheaper to maybe ruin an HSF, than your cpu...

Speederlander
05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=136790

It's cheaper to maybe ruin an HSF, than your cpu...

Your board would be at risk (of getting bent socket pins), not your CPU.

And I haven't damaged a board yet. But the risk does exist, as I state above.