PDA

View Full Version : D-TEK FuZion GTX - 8800 Caution

TommyGunn
05-28-2007, 04:13 PM
FYI,

I just wanted to give you a heads up if you are using the D-TEK FuZion GTX with an Nvidia 8800 card. Included with the kit is a small rectangular thermal pad that the instructions say to use with an 8800 card. It is designed to go around the step. It appears the idea is to create a larger surface for the 8800 GPU.

I installed the pad and secured the block. The mounting hardware is designed to bottom out so you can only apply so much pressure. The problem was my temps were very high, like 57 c at idle. I ended up pulling the block and the whole center area was not making any contact at all. The only place touching was the small rectangular pad. I removed the pad and re-seated the block and my temps have now dropped to 37-39 c at idle. About a 20c difference.

Anybody else experience this?

hecktic
05-29-2007, 04:34 AM
hmmm this is interesting..

welshtom
05-29-2007, 05:07 AM
I didnt even notice that pad - oops

septim
05-29-2007, 07:33 AM
you can always eyeball it before putting TIM...

Truckchase!
05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up... I'm just about to pull the trigger on this config. Is the pressure drop really as bad as some say it is?

ranker
05-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up... I'm just about to pull the trigger on this config. Is the pressure drop really as bad as some say it is?

Pressure drop is quite real by Petra's testing confirm it. If you're running a multiblock loop, I'd advise against it. I own a pair, but I guess I didn't see the temp drop from the restriction due to running it in its own loop. For those seeking a GPU+CPU loop, MCW60's are the better solution.