PDA

View Full Version : Which northy block?

pie_uk
05-28-2007, 02:01 PM
which block shall i get for my set up, i am looking at the Swiftech mcw30 or the EK nb 775 block. and cant decide.

can i use EK barbs with the Swiftech?

cheers guys

Aqua-Pc's
05-28-2007, 02:06 PM
I don’t have experience of the Swiftech Northbridge block but the EK version fly off the shelves so that would be a sure bet based on sales

perfection
05-28-2007, 02:07 PM
yep sure can, the MCW30 is compatable with almost everything so its best to get that

ranker
05-28-2007, 02:14 PM
which block shall i get for my set up, i am looking at the Swiftech mcw30 or the EK nb 775 block. and cant decide.

can i use EK barbs with the Swiftech?

cheers guys

I have both. Both are great blocks. The EK block supposedly has less restriction according to Philly Boy. However, I don't think we have hard numbers up, only anecdotal evidence.

The EK looks better, but the MCW30 has been a tried and true block and can be reused with future motherboard chipsets. Swiftech is awesome at supplying new mounting kits for new chipsets.

MikeMK
05-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Well, im very happy with my MCW30. Really nice waterblock, and as ranker said, Swiftech are always very good at updating mounting kits etc. No doubt it'll last for many future boards.

pie_uk
05-28-2007, 02:19 PM
thanks for the in put guys, yeah the compatibility is insane with the mc.

may buy the Swifty, as long as i can use EK barbs, if not then i shall need to think long and hard/ also i can see that it may be to much of a tight bend radius from the gfx block to the north bridge...?

hmm looks or performance...

oh and i am thinking of selling my Fuzion and going for a Swiftech GTX (that silver top one). is that mad?

MikeMK
05-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Well, it depends. They perform very similar, although you will have to use a bowed base on the GTX to get the performance. (search this section - there are plenty of threads on Apogee GTX's with bowed bases).

TBH, im not sure its really worth the money for the difference in temps you would get. Hard call to make really.

MotF Bane
05-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Would the Swiftech be able to deal with the heat off of a P35 or n680i?

pie_uk
05-28-2007, 02:24 PM
yeah i wouldnt be doing it for the performance increase. just it was a rudy nitemare fitting the worm drives with 1/2" tubing on.

^^ it will easily handle the heat from a P35 or 680I

ranker
05-28-2007, 02:28 PM
thanks for the in put guys, yeah the compatibility is insane with the mc.

may buy the Swifty, as long as i can use EK barbs, if not then i shall need to think long and hard/ also i can see that it may be to much of a tight bend radius from the gfx block to the north bridge...?

hmm looks or performance...

oh and i am thinking of selling my Fuzion and going for a Swiftech GTX (that silver top one). is that mad?

I did so, but I wouldn't advise it if you're looking for more than a 1-2C drop in temps. I bought it out of curiosity, (like I have with most other blocks that I now don't use). The GTX will stay in my main machine, while my GT and FuZion will remain on my other 2 machines at home.

Would the Swiftech be able to deal with the heat off of a P35 or n680i? Being able to "handle" the heat is more of a question of how stressed your radiator is and if your pump can handle the drop in flow from adding these blocks.

But will they both offer solid, secure mounts to those chipsets? Yes for the 680/650i, but if its a spring mounted board (like some intels are), then you might have to look elsewhere. As much as DD's quality has tapered off, their hook/spring mechanism seems to be more secure.

IanY
05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Why would you even want to use EK barbs on a Swiftech block? Swiftech makes beautiful barbs.

And the heat on the 680i is nothing next to that of a i5000X chipset, so don't even go there.

DavidP
05-31-2007, 11:48 PM
Mcw30 >