PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the clear 5-1/4 bay res'es?

newls1
05-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Anyone have a picture of "2" of these 5-1/4 res'es installed in the front of there case using 2 different color fluids? Would love to see that? And am I right in assuming they hold more fluid then the Micro-RES?

demonbane23
05-28-2007, 12:34 PM
I was looking into these for a while. They had them on the D-tek customs site. If I did the math right the 5.25 bay res holds 250 cc or around 8.4 oz.

The micro res from swifty holds 4.5 oz. I wanted to get a blue one but D-tek discontinued them it seems.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=249

If you can find a good site let me know also or some pics...

ranker
05-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Anyone have a picture of "2" of these 5-1/4 res'es installed in the front of there case using 2 different color fluids? Would love to see that? And am I right in assuming they hold more fluid then the Micro-RES?

Yes they do but they are also leak prone and crack easily. I thought I'd play the Russian Roulette game with it. Although it worked fine initially, it began leaking after I applied some torque on the barbs to remove the tubing for a rebuild. They're prone to cracking from any torque and Petra pointed out that glycol contained in many additives often break down the glue that's typically being used to seal the acrylic pieces together.

demonbane23
05-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Yes they do but they are also leak prone and crack easily. I thought I'd play the Russian Roulette game with it. Although it worked fine initially, it began leaking after I applied some torque on the barbs to remove the tubing for a rebuild. They're prone to cracking from any torque and Petra pointed out that glycol contained in many additives often break down the glue that's typically being used to seal the acrylic pieces together.

thats good to know ranker but then what does swiftech use to make their micro res hold together so well? They are both acrylic or plexi it seems?

Aldy402
05-28-2007, 12:41 PM
i had one before I moved to micro-res

they suck, its aesthetically appealing but i got sloshing and waterfall sounds a lot. . I had the 5/14 and the double tank as well

ranker
05-28-2007, 12:43 PM
thats good to know ranker but then what does swiftech use to make their micro res hold together so well? They are both acrylic or plexi it seems?

I'm really not sure. I own/use myself 4 Swiftech mcres-micro's and have installed over a dozen of them in various machines I've built but have never had a leak/crack develop.

I just know I've had bad experiences with the bay reservoirs and so have others on this forum and on [H]. Quoc at petrastechshop.com vehemently opposed the idea of special ordering it for me on the grounds of it leaking even though they've special ordered a ton of non-essential, hell even non-useful stuff for me in the past. That's why I love these guys, they'll look out for you even if you're about to shoot your own foot.

demonbane23
05-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Found it on the swiftech page....

"Stress related cracks found in other acrylic constructions is eliminated by design: straight NPSM threads do not induce stress compared to NPT (tapered) threads."

And to do without the sloshing I dont mind missing out on the aesthetics of a bay res...

ranker
05-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Found it on the swiftech page....

"Stress related cracks found in other acrylic constructions is eliminated by design: straight NPSM threads do not induce stress compared to NPT (tapered) threads."

And to do without the sloshing I dont mind missing out on the aesthetics of a bay res...

I wonder if this weakens the two mcres-micro's I personally have that I had a G1/4" tap done on the top.

wadechan
05-28-2007, 02:00 PM
i have one of the single height bays in my loop. i don't get any sloshing nor has it leaked. i've had it in various loops for ~3 years now, first using thermaltake coolant and most recently the swiftech additive both of which contain glycol. that being said it could be coming apart right now so i'll keep an eye on it. here's a short video of it (18Mb download via rapidshare), the background noise is 2 YL's @12v, one on a HR-03 and the other at the rear of my P180 plus whatever through the open window behind the pc.

http://rapidshare.com/files/33946645/res.avi.html

newls1
05-28-2007, 02:16 PM
i have one of the single height bays in my loop. i don't get any sloshing nor has it leaked. i've had it in various loops for ~3 years now, first using thermaltake coolant and most recently the swiftech additive both of which contain glycol. that being said it could be coming apart right now so i'll keep an eye on it. here's a short video of it (18Mb download via rapidshare), the background noise is 2 YL's @12v, one on a HR-03 and the other at the rear of my P180 plus whatever through the open window behind the pc.

http://rapidshare.com/files/33946645/res.avi.html

link no workie:cool:

ColonelCain
05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Wow, danger den actually has theirs back in stock.

wadechan
05-28-2007, 03:17 PM
strange it works for me? are you getting a corrupted file or does the file not exist?