PDA

View Full Version : What do ya think of using 50/50 mixture of coolant in watercooling system?

lilflippy
05-27-2007, 07:52 PM
What do ya guys and girls think about it?

How will i perform?

Truckchase!
05-27-2007, 08:00 PM
If you're not running a chiller setup there is no reason; you'll just loose performance. Just a dash of antifreeze is enough to keep bacteria away and that's all you need. I run about 95/5 distilled/RV antifreeze.

CedricFP
05-27-2007, 08:06 PM
A little antifreeze and a little anti-corrosion is all you need. As of yet, nothing beats distilled water in a loop in both terms of performance and practicality.

Envydia007
05-27-2007, 08:12 PM
80/20 is even too much.

lilflippy
05-27-2007, 08:14 PM
A little antifreeze and a little anti-corrosion is all you need. As of yet, nothing beats distilled water in a loop in both terms of performance and practicality.

So would distilled water and a biocide to prevent algae be ok?

I also have Chrome Plated fittings on my cpu block and Nickel Plated Brass fittings on my rad would i need antfreeze to prevent corrosion? Is antifreeze needed to lubricate my pump?

Hard H20
05-27-2007, 08:34 PM
So would distilled water and a biocide to prevent algae be ok?

I also have Chrome Plated fittings on my cpu block and Nickel Plated Brass fittings on my rad would i need antfreeze to prevent corrosion? Is antifreeze needed to lubricate my pump?

Yes, distilled and biocide is all you need in your loops to keep the algae in check. I would recommend Petosin G11 / G12 if you're concerned about corrosion. You can find your Petosin and PT Nuke both here: http://www.petrastechshop.com/wacoac.html

IanY
05-28-2007, 05:18 AM
1% to 2% Valvoline Super Racing Zerex, biocide and 98% to 99% distilled water. I don't even use biocide. I use provodine iodine. In one system still going strong, I use 0.1% bleach.

I am not convinced about the 10% Pentosin thing.

Distilled water is the best coolant. Mixing it with anything else just lowers the cooling effectiveness.

MrToad
05-28-2007, 06:42 AM
Distilled water is the best coolant. Mixing it with anything else just lowers the cooling effectiveness.

That seems to be the consensus. The least you add to you distilled water, the better it will perform as coolant.

**Edited for being deliberately inflammatory. Tsk, tsk... you should know better stupid batrachian.

IanY
05-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Deleted to protect the innocent :)

MrToad
05-28-2007, 07:01 AM
Hahahaha... a comment so timely... :) did you see the flame fest I'm having with a bunch of Europeans ? :)

I did... that's the whole point of the coment :D

But then I edited it... in the end of the day is funny or not depending on who and in what mood reads it.

IanY
05-28-2007, 07:15 AM
Mr. Toad, you're ok :)

Skauneboy
05-28-2007, 07:24 AM

Not entirely true. About 5% of glycerine is supposed to increase thermal conductivity. http://www.dow.com/glycerine/resources/table13.htm