PDA

View Full Version : Newb PA120.2 fan screws question

YugenM
05-26-2007, 12:11 PM
So I stick the gasket on, notice that the screws are self-tapping so I screw them in a bit to make it easier to screw in later (made sure that it didn't puncture the core), drop the fan on top, drop screws through...

...then realise that the screw driver will not fit through the upper hole of the fan, and therefore forcing me to go at the screws from an angle.

Consequently, there's still a bit of wiggle room.

Will the gasket prevent any vibration noise that might stem from the slightly loose screws, or will it rattle like heck and drive me crazy?

Apart from buying longer screws that go through the top hole and the bottom hole, is there anything I can do to make the screws tighter?

I tried screwing one down more, but I ended up semi-stripping the head

DepTi
05-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Quick fix might be to run to the local hardware store and get a thin screw driver, or some longer screws if they carry self-threading 6-32s in the length you need.

beaneh
05-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Use a set of jewellers (found in 99% of PC 'tool kits') screw drivers mate.

ranker
05-27-2007, 02:11 AM
So I stick the gasket on, notice that the screws are self-tapping so I screw them in a bit to make it easier to screw in later (made sure that it didn't puncture the core), drop the fan on top, drop screws through...

...then realise that the screw driver will not fit through the upper hole of the fan, and therefore forcing me to go at the screws from an angle.

Consequently, there's still a bit of wiggle room.

Will the gasket prevent any vibration noise that might stem from the slightly loose screws, or will it rattle like heck and drive me crazy?

Apart from buying longer screws that go through the top hole and the bottom hole, is there anything I can do to make the screws tighter?

I tried screwing one down more, but I ended up semi-stripping the head

Most "Computer Tools" kits should come with a bunch of various thin screw drivers to use for such instances. I wouldn't suggest buying longer screws. You'll want the screws to be flush against the gasket/rad to minimize the noise. Once the fans start working, you'll kick yourself in the ass for not having taken care of it in the first place.

YugenM
05-27-2007, 07:27 AM
okaaaaay... tightened it up, noticed that the gasket was compressed to the point I can no longer see it :eek: I hope I didn't puncture the core...