PDA

View Full Version : Lian Li S80B Review - XS Frontpage

Vapor
05-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Lian Li S80B Review

Today we’ll be looking at another Lian Li, the S80B. The S80B is a mid-tower designed for one thing: silence. It’s a double box design (more on that later) with 3mm thick aluminum, sound insulation padding all over, and superlative build quality. The style is typical Lian Li, very simple and stylish being all black with a simple silver stripe down the front.

http://fugger.netfirms.com/S80B/Front1.jpg

Over the past year, I’ve used many Lian Li cases, always being impressed. This one stood out, however. When I first picked up the box, I was shocked at how heavy the box was. It felt as heavy as some entire systems. The case alone is just under 30lbs. As I took it apart for the first time, I was also astounded at how snugly the pieces fit together. I can unlatch either side panel, and pick up the entire case by the panel without it separating from the rest of the case! All this made to achieve one thing: silence.

http://fugger.netfirms.com/S80B/Door1.jpg

Further Impressions and Conclusion.

This is a niche case. It’s built for silence with aircooling. Watercooling would be just about impossible to install, and as such, cooling potential is just adequate as airflow is pretty minimal inside this case, but running an E6700 at 3.6GHz under a Scythe Infinity is no issue for me, even with five hot hard drives and an X1600Pro. High powered graphics cards might have an issue as there is no airflow over them whatsoever.

Another thing that astonished me, and something that really stood out as I started using the system, was just how effective the design is. I started the system with all side panels off and the fans at full speed, and slowly put on the side panels, noticing the differences in noise at my desk and the difference was astonishing. With the internal panels installed, it was already quieter than a typical case with the same fans, but when outer side panels were put on, it almost became dead silent. It took my four (3 included + 1 for CPU) Lian Li fans, at a very audible 30dB each, and made them all sound nearly silent. Even my hard drives during heavy use rarely exuded a click. The design flat out works.

Overall, if you’re looking for a luxurious, silent, aircooled system, this case will fully enable you to do just that. Anything else, however, this is probably not the best case, especially considering the high price tag.

As someone who strives for silence, solid performance and also doesn’t want to deal with the hassle of watercooling, this case is just perfect.

For the full review and many more pictures, click
HERE (http://www.xtremesystems.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=44)

echn111
06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
This is a niche case. It’s built for silence with aircooling. Watercooling would be just about impossible to install,

I agree that it is still a niche case mainly aimed at the silent PC enthusiast rather than the overclocker. But it will still handle watercooling (see pic links below). (note: can't access your review link)

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/echn111/IMGP0594.jpg?t=1182114728

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/echn111/IMGP0595.jpg?t=1182114723

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/echn111/IMGP0600.jpg?t=1182114720

Vapor
06-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Seems the frontpage is down :(

Anyway, nice work getting some WC in there...damn that's a nice setup, too bad the HDD cage had to go :(

Ashraf
06-17-2007, 07:09 PM
I like the case, looks neat. Thanks for the review, Vapor. :)

So, I went to Xoxide.com to see the price. It's nearly $300. :eek:

echn111
06-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Seems the frontpage is down :(

Anyway, nice work getting some WC in there...damn that's a nice setup, too bad the HDD cage had to go :(

I was never going to use the HDD cage anyway. I prefer to enclose my HD's in soundproofing enclosures so they go into the 5.25" slots.

btw I did like the mini-review. Just wanted to clarrify the watercooling part.

Vapor
06-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Hmmmm, too bad the front page isn't up....many, many more pics in there. Plus about 1000 more words, lol.

Definitely my favorite case I have....of a G70, V2000, and PC-7+.

And, yeah....the HDD cage isn't 100% sound insulated, I'll agree there.

Gautam
06-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Nice work bro, can't wait to see it in its entirety on the FP.

I wonder how well it'd handle oc's if one were to throw in a kents and a couple of 2900XT's. :p:

Lian-li definitely has aesthetics down, they prove that time and time again.

lowfat
06-18-2007, 07:01 AM
Tis a very hot case, but watercooling with that little room is really a pain in the ......

The Ripe Punani
08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Nice case. The watercooling looks a bit tight though...

tiro_uspsss
08-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Nice case. The watercooling looks a bit tight though...

:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: dude... i've gotta ask - ' The Ripe Punani ' ??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: y?

:welcome:

Movieman
08-17-2007, 07:51 PM
:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: dude... i've gotta ask - ' The Ripe Punani ' ??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: y?

I just caught that...Ever see the off broadway of that one?
First time I ever heard the word..:rofl:

The Ripe Punani
08-17-2007, 08:29 PM

Haha, yeah. I use it for as my gaming alias. I dunno...I watched some Russell Peters and hours later I got an idea as I was trying to make an account for BF2. :p:

ReFracture
08-18-2007, 07:12 AM
Other than the lackluster airflow over the video card, thats a really nice case.

afireinside
08-18-2007, 09:07 AM
Am I the only person that thinks this along with most other new lian li cases are absolutely hideous? I LOVE the PC-7 and V1000 but this is just ugly to me :(

The Ripe Punani
08-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Am I the only person that thinks this along with most other new lian li cases are absolutely hideous? I LOVE the PC-7 and V1000 but this is just ugly to me :(

Personally I think it's not bad. Not the best looking case, but for a Lian-Li it's not bad.

Other than the lackluster airflow over the video card, thats a really nice case.

I can't tell, but are there any fans on the front? If there's one in the bottom of the HDD cage, there should be some form of airflow, especially since he took out all those PCI bracket shields.

ReFracture
08-18-2007, 08:57 PM
I can't tell, but are there any fans on the front? If there's one in the bottom of the HDD cage, there should be some form of airflow, especially since he took out all those PCI bracket shields.

Read the review, he said there was a fan for the HDD cage.

This case looks nice, but being so cramped is.. eh.. I dunno. I have trouble
justifying spending anything over $120 on a case personally..

The Ripe Punani
08-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Oh, I see. My apologies.

Well if you ask me, if the case warrants that certain price tag with quality and style, I wouldn't mind spending it.

ReFracture
08-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Oh, I see. My apologies.

Well if you ask me, if the case warrants that certain price tag with quality and style, I wouldn't mind spending it.

To each their own. It's one helluv a sexy case though. :yepp:

The Ripe Punani
08-19-2007, 07:29 AM
To each their own. It's one helluv a sexy case though. :yepp:

Haha, yeah it is a sexy case. :up:

Donnie27
09-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Haha, yeah it is a sexy case. :up:

How thick are the internal parts/metal? Example is the motherboard tray as paper thin and almost useless as the tray in the 7B, mine sucks:D

Lu(ky
09-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Very nice review Vapor well done on the water cooling setup as well ench111. I am in the process of building a mod out of this case. Anyone have time check it out. I am 80% done with case build. Should be done by the end of this week. Adding a BlackIce GTS360 for top and a 240GTX like Vapor setup in the front.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbMzLG4rBeE

http://www.blazingpc.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1892&d=1188701303