PDA

View Full Version : 2 video cards with same RAM, GPU for OC?

picard
05-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Is it necessary to have 2 PCIE X16 video cards with same RAM, GPU speed for OC?
Can the board handle two different video cards with different set of RAM & GPU ?

7499richard
05-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Is it necessary to have 2 PCIE X16 video cards with same RAM, GPU speed for OC?
Can the board handle two different video cards with different set of RAM & GPU ?

You need two of them same video cards to get them to work as one and increase your graphics performance.

you have two options, two ATI cards, and those run in crossfire if you have two of them. Or two identical nvidia cards, and those run in SLI when you have two of them. the nvidia cards have to be IDENTICAL, even the same manufacturer. But as for the ATI cards I dont think they have to be identical, but pretty close. Like X1900XT and X1900XTX, but I am not exactly clear on that so guarantee this before you go and buy some.

If you want to run SLI or crossfire your mobo must support it, ie you need an ATI chipset that supports crossfire or an nvidia chipset that supports SLI.

If the video cards are not the same then they will not work in unision, and the mobo probably defaults to use the card in slot 1.

So by the sounds of it you probably need a new pair of video cards a new mobo, if you want to run a dual GPU setup.

Hope that helps

picard
05-26-2007, 05:24 AM
You need two of them same video cards to get them to work as one and increase your graphics performance.

you have two options, two ATI cards, and those run in crossfire if you have two of them. Or two identical nvidia cards, and those run in SLI when you have two of them. the nvidia cards have to be IDENTICAL, even the same manufacturer. But as for the ATI cards I dont think they have to be identical, but pretty close. Like X1900XT and X1900XTX, but I am not exactly clear on that so guarantee this before you go and buy some.

If you want to run SLI or crossfire your mobo must support it, ie you need an ATI chipset that supports crossfire or an nvidia chipset that supports SLI.

If the video cards are not the same then they will not work in unision, and the mobo probably defaults to use the card in slot 1.

So by the sounds of it you probably need a new pair of video cards a new mobo, if you want to run a dual GPU setup.

Hope that helps

thanks for your tips. It is very useful. I want to setup 2 cards on my next system.