PDA

View Full Version : Apple to drop new Macbooks and iMacs at WWDC?

chun
05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
While we know for sure that Steve is going to show off a "feature-complete" version of Leopard at this year's WWDC, and we wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone got some quality time on stage as well, we haven't really heard anything solid about any hardware revisions taking place next month.
Well, Gene Munster, Piper Jaffray's resident Apple fanboy analyst, crunched some numbers recently and speculated during a recent conference call that he expects to see new MacBook Pros released at WWDC. Seeing as Apple is basically the only big company that hasn't announced a Santa Rosa laptop, an announcement at WWDC wouldn't exactly shock us, but Munster decided to get a little wackier with his predictions, saying that by his calculations, Apple releases new pro lappies every 182 days, and that the current MBP has been on the market for 209 days. Similarly, Munster used the vast resources of the multinational investment bank that employs him to determine that Apple releases new iMacs around every 168 days, and that the current generation has been on the market for 257 days. Quelle horreur! We're not sure how these numbers led Gene to determine that we'll see new MBPs for sure and maybe new iMacs (seems like the other way around to us), but there it is. Analysts are often prone to over-speculating about Apple launches, but at this point it's almost anyone's guess -- trying to call Apple's next move is a cruel, cruel mistress.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/05/macbookpro440pxl.jpg

sky
06-07-2007, 04:38 PM
well apparently they put them out before wwdc, hail them, got mine yesterday and am loving it. in about this mac it shows up as macbook3,1 hmm :p

Vapor
06-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Hmmm, prices didn't really go down. I got my Macbook2,2 (MBP 15in, 2.16GHz C2D) the day it came out with 2GB and a 160GB 5400RPM and a MB3.1 with a 2.2GHz, 2GB, and 160GB 5400RPM is only ~$150 less than what mine was.

I guess that's the LED backlit display keeping the price up.....I wonder how they compare to the CCFL mine has.

Gotta say, my MB2.2 was the greatest computing purchase I ever made....

zerotol
06-08-2007, 06:24 AM
what about upgrades for the 13 inch macbooks and for the macmini.

If they can use a 7300 go in the apple tv , they should seriously put them in those too atleast:shakes:

sky
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
well i guess there's slightly more to the mbp update than that. for instance the middle mbp (15" 2.4ghz 2gb) that i picked up a few days in the san fran store now has a 256mb geforce 8600m gt - whatever that is. it's supposedly faster than the x1600 and dx10 compatible or what.
still compared to the usa, for the first time since i started monitoring the prices on these toys, the prices in europe actually went down. at least for this one. they used to be at 2499eur, now they've upgraded specs and sell for 2399eur. thanks for that apple. still the real diff. in prices between the us $2499 and the eur 2399 is quite a pretty penny. $2499 vs ~$3200 hehe. plus you can't beat the back to school offers with a 30gb ipod for another $50 (after $199 mail in rebate).. seriously, we need deals like that back home...

regarding the mac mini. haven't there been rumors that consider the mac mini at the end of its line. like being taken over by the apple tv thing (however little sense that may make)?

ineedaname
06-08-2007, 01:41 PM
when is wwdc anyway?

Vapor
06-08-2007, 05:38 PM
well i guess there's slightly more to the mbp update than that. for instance the middle mbp (15" 2.4ghz 2gb) that i picked up a few days in the san fran store now has a 256mb geforce 8600m gt - whatever that is. it's supposedly faster than the x1600 and dx10 compatible or what.
still compared to the usa, for the first time since i started monitoring the prices on these toys, the prices in europe actually went down. at least for this one. they used to be at 2499eur, now they've upgraded specs and sell for 2399eur. thanks for that apple. still the real diff. in prices between the us $2499 and the eur 2399 is quite a pretty penny. $2499 vs ~$3200 hehe. plus you can't beat the back to school offers with a 30gb ipod for another $50 (after $199 mail in rebate).. seriously, we need deals like that back home...

regarding the mac mini. haven't there been rumors that consider the mac mini at the end of its line. like being taken over by the apple tv thing (however little sense that may make)?Hmmm, completely forgot about the 8600M-GT....my X1600 is way overkill for my uses though...wish they used something between GMA950 and X1600 that was really low on power usage.

sky
06-09-2007, 01:18 AM
had a go at the ut2k4 mac demo earlier.. it kinda sucked at 800x600 default... guess i'm used to a little more firepower, but then again i'm only 10k km away from my desktop rigs with real gfx cards in them. i guess for eveything else it works perfectly fine, maybe overkill, but wth.. gimme the bells and whistles. if they had a x1800 or x1900 mobile or some fast 8xxx gen mobile in it, i'd have taken that, sucker for that ;)

wwdc should be from the 11th june onwards, here in san fran if i'm not mistaken, din't really read the apple mails that well, only skipping over for info on new hw ..

sky
06-10-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.barefeats.com/santarosa.html

results of a 3d shootout with several mbp generations, including the new one. not too shabby i'd say