PDA

View Full Version : @ Ifmu

Smizack
06-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Hey man, I fould a linux you'll like. Try Lycoris (http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=26) .
it's got more of a windows look, and login, and it's got it's own RPM installer. No more command line. ;)

IFMU
06-16-2003, 02:32 AM
LoL
I dont mind the terminal, was kinda refreshing in an odd sorta way... lol
Would it happen to have.... um.. whats it called... Enlightenment? Not sure if you know but its like the KDE and GNome, but slightly different. I had that minimally when I used Dark Linux but couldnt get that to work overall....
Ill check it out some time. ;)
Thanks.

Smizack
06-16-2003, 02:40 PM
It runs KDE. I believe enlightenment is only with Evil Entity.
This is much better I think. And simple.;)

IFMU
06-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Actually Ive heard that enlightenment is also with others as an add on. Think Ive heard RH can actually come with it on the install, but I wasnt able to find it. :rolleyes:
KDE just seems kinda blah... havent messed with gnome yet to see if I like it or not.... dunno... well see some time or another.. lol

Smizack
06-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by IFMU
Actually Ive heard that enlightenment is also with others as an add on. Think Ive heard RH can actually come with it on the install, but I wasnt able to find it. :rolleyes:
KDE just seems kinda blah... havent messed with gnome yet to see if I like it or not.... dunno... well see some time or another.. lol

Kewl, I didn't know that.

Yeah, if you think KDE is blah your'e gonna hate Gnome. At least the look, but in Lycoris cleans it up a bit better overall.

wdd1040
06-16-2003, 07:59 PM
What about Wine and Samba?

have you tried them on it? I can't completely migrate from windows just yet... :-)

IFMU
06-17-2003, 02:21 AM
No I havent, Ive barely been able to figure out installing the things I need installed, let alone something to make it easier... LoL

CCW
06-17-2003, 02:30 AM
quick question - what happened to the article / review you guys were gonna write on Lindows?

Craig

IFMU
06-17-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by CCW
quick question - what happened to the article / review you guys were gonna write on Lindows?

Craig
I havent been able to really get into it to test it out or even installed. It appears the version of it I have requires a present install of another OS. i.e. an upgrade... Which I cant really do for some rather lame reasons. But basiclly just due to the horror factor I go through every time I install anything *nix based...
From what Smiz said the OS sucks gass really. Not sure if hes going to get one written up or not, I unfortunately (by the looks of it) wont be able too.
Apologies for that.
IFMU

IFMU
06-17-2003, 03:24 AM
Ok, Ive been tryin to check it out... is it SMP capable? This is a hands down must here.... but havent been able to find jack squat on the site...?!

And which version there do I download?! lol

makatee
06-17-2003, 07:40 AM
All Linux distros that automatically setup your kernel should be smp capable. Then again, ive never worked with this at all, so who really knows. Enlightenment is a windows manager that can be added onto to any distro. All you have to do is install your distro and then find and RPM of enlightenment or get the source and compile it. Not to hard at all

Smizack
06-17-2003, 08:03 PM
IFMU, build 46 is the one you want.

wdd1040, Samba comes installed on it, but you have to install Wine, and I haven't played much with it yet.

CCW, Lindows is junk IMO, and I'm not wasting any more time with it, sorry.

CCW
06-18-2003, 04:11 AM
Thats no problem, I jsut wondered if you were still doing it just for something to read really :D

Craig