PDA

View Full Version : Can you paint Delrin?

virtualrain
05-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Anyone ever painted any Delrin parts? Will spray paint stick reasonably well to Delrin?

Pete
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I think you can, maybe sand it up so it;s has soemthing grip too.

I'm using some tip ex tormrow on some delrin parts which should look cool as once done.

Frostbyte
05-22-2007, 02:54 PM
There are actually different grades of Delrin, with some designed to be suitable for lating/painting. I am not sure about things like a Petra DDC top, for example. You might look up Delrin Etch acetal etching solution. to see if it will properly condition the outside surface to receive paint. I don't think a normal spraycan of Krylon, even made for plastic, will necessarily yield good results without conditioning the surface. Also, I would DEFINITELY tape and cover the part of the Delrin that is in contact with the fluid, just so there is no possibility of bad chem reaction.

My two cents...

virtualrain
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
I think you can, maybe sand it up so it;s has soemthing grip too.

I'm using some tip ex tormrow on some delrin parts which should look cool as once done.

What is "tip ex"... post some pics.

serialk11r
05-22-2007, 04:44 PM
A note, you might find it difficult to get the paint to stick. Delrin is very "slippery". It also has very good resistance to solvents, so I don't think spray paint (acetone and toluene based) will work either...

[XC] leviathan18
05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
What is "tip ex"... post some pics.

tip ex is the white stuff you use to correct a mistake when is written in pen :)

Kaze06
05-22-2007, 05:55 PM
That's White-Out to the rest of the world =D.

Grinch
05-22-2007, 07:09 PM
you can "technically" paint anything...adhesion is a whole new scenario...*-)

MrToad
05-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Varnish works :D (This Delrin is Acetal Copolymer, not Homopolymer, dunno if it makes a difference).

First ash it, then instead of buffing it seven layers of lacquer and bake it (at very low temp, we don't want molten plastic, do we?).

It didn't chip even while drilling the hole for the res with a holesaw, so I think we can call it success.

In this particular formulation I don't see a problem for primer to stick, but is just an educated guess.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3462/detltopwt7.jpg

Frostbyte
05-22-2007, 10:39 PM
I hope that is not Petra's new top design. :)