PDA

View Full Version : reservoir positioning on fast flow system?

oqvist
05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
What is better having it as close to the pump as possible or as high in relation to the pump as possible?

I am comping it with the DDC 2 pump with the petra tech top. I have the 1/2" barbs and tubes and is watercooling my cpu and video card so there is quite a bit of tubing. And I also have a large triple 120 mm rad hanging outside the case.

The installation manual recommends to put it as high as possible. Make sense more pressure to the pump when starting to fill the system. However I have read somewhere that itīs recommended to have it as close as possible as well...

ranker
05-22-2007, 09:48 AM
What is better having it as close to the pump as possible or as high in relation to the pump as possible?

I am comping it with the DDC 2 pump with the petra tech top. I have the 1/2" barbs and tubes and is watercooling my cpu and video card so there is quite a bit of tubing. And I also have a large triple 120 mm rad hanging outside the case.

The installation manual recommends to put it as high as possible. Make sense more pressure to the pump when starting to fill the system. However I have read somewhere that itīs recommended to have it as close as possible as well...

It's best to have the reservoir as being the highest point of your loop. This way all the air bubbles will eventually bleed out. Anywhere else just prolongs the bleeding process.

oqvist
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
thanks. Btw I see you have the DDC 2 with the petra tech top?

Does it matter in what way you install the top? Also the top is the one that goes to the reservoir and the horizontal one push the water? Exact opposite of the MCP 655 but I guess better for having the Res on top...

However since I have the Stacker the res is going to be like half a metre or more away from the pump...

hoax
05-22-2007, 12:07 PM
this might help:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56912&d=1174478199

basically..dont run it upside down with the inlet pointing downwards...

ranker
05-22-2007, 01:32 PM
thanks. Btw I see you have the DDC 2 with the petra tech top?

Does it matter in what way you install the top? Also the top is the one that goes to the reservoir and the horizontal one push the water? Exact opposite of the MCP 655 but I guess better for having the Res on top...

However since I have the Stacker the res is going to be like half a metre or more away from the pump...

If you're talking about installation of the top to the pump, there's really no wrong way to orient the top. But if you're talking about orientation of the pump installation into your system, then you'll just have to avoid having the pump inlet from point downwards. So yeah, the D5 and the DDC-2 pumps have the opposite orientation with regards to their inlet/outlets.

calvin
05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Those mounting guidelines don't always apply depending on modded top orientation.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~legarep/HotSwapMama/pump_640x480.jpg

ranker
05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Those mounting guidelines don't always apply depending on modded top orientation.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~legarep/HotSwapMama/pump_640x480.jpg

Not sure what you're trying to prove but your picture shows a pump within guidelines. Your inlet isn't point downward, instead its horizontally aligned to the bottom of your case.

oqvist
05-23-2007, 10:02 AM
RANT!

What is wrong with making things easy to install?

I got the microres but I can´t find anything to open the damn fill port??? It´s just plastic I can´t use whatever to try opening it up then after a while I won´t be able to close it again. Why why why don´t they ship it with tools to open close it or use some standardized screw driver or torx solutions??????????

It´s some PG 7 crap whatever that means...

Solarfall
05-23-2007, 10:40 AM
RANT!

What is wrong with making things easy to install?

I got the microres but I can´t find anything to open the damn fill port??? It´s just plastic I can´t use whatever to try opening it up then after a while I won´t be able to close it again. Why why why don´t they ship it with tools to open close it or use some standardized screw driver or torx solutions??????????

It´s some PG 7 crap whatever that means...

i hear you, the danger den fill port does have a hex head wrench included in the box, if my memory serves me right. why not swiftech too it's not like they are expensive or anything.

oqvist
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
so damn frustrating what can I use to open it without wearing it down to much :(.

Lu523
05-23-2007, 04:19 PM
so damn frustrating what can I use to open it without wearing it down to much :(.

Try a dime or some other coin. It works like a screw driver.

whoodiestyle
05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Try a dime or some other coin. It works like a screw driver.

penny works perfect cuase it fits better than a dime

oqvist
05-26-2007, 07:16 AM
lol where can you buy pennys if you live in Sweden ;). Our coin don´t work with it.

However I managed to get it off and now I am leak testing :D. I can´t believe how quiet the DDC 2 is I can´t hear it working at all. My computer would be dead silent if not for the PSU. Obviously I have no power to the mainboardd or anything for safety reasons.

As for pushing the air out should I just let the reservoir be open while I do it or doesn´t it matter? I seem to have gotten most if not all bubbles out of the system now took like 10 minutes :)

oqvist
05-27-2007, 07:56 AM
hmm what temps could I expect? e6600 40 degrees at idle at 1,45 vcore 3,150 ghz. Guess it will go down a bit when my AS 5 settles.

I can+t get xp running just vista and have no way of checking the temps at load...

40 degrees donīt seem that stellar really