PDA

View Full Version : Cooling suggestions needed

unicron02
05-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Background:
I have a P5W-DH Deluxe and a Lian Li PC-V1000BPLUSII (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811112118) case. I am looking for a CPU cooler that will physically fit on the board with this case. The way that the motherboard sits in the case is somewhat unconventional (I will post some pics tonight) so there is very little room along the edge. I would prefer not to change the NB HS assembly if I don't have to, but from the looks of things I might not have a choice.

The case has a 120mm fan directly behind the area where the CPU HSF sits and it blows air in. There is also an adjustable deflection plate which angles the air from this fan directly down onto the CPU HSF. This is nice for the stock setup but I will be removing the plate and turning the fan around to blow air out when I install the new cooler. There is another 120mm fan located on the side panel which sits over the area where the 2 PCI-E slots are. This fan is configured to blow air out (I assume it is there to blow out the hot air being exhausted from the stock CPU HSF), but I will be flipping this to blow air in. This should help blow cool air over the video card as well as provide some additional cool air for the new CPU HSF to suck in.

Any thoughts/commments and suggestions for a good cooler that will fit? I am thinking something that is taller rather than wider because I don't have much space.

Firelord-OCHW
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Its not an unconvential layout at all.

I have squeezed a TR Ultra 120 original on my DS3/V1000 and it fits great. I don't have the CPU duct on and got the rear 120mm sucking

unicron02
05-22-2007, 06:15 AM
Good to know that the case will take the 120. I took a look at the layout of your motherboard compared to mine and I don't think that there should be much of a problem. The NB looks to be about the exact same position in both cases and the heatsinks don't look much different in terms of size. The one thing that may pose a problem is that the P5W DH has a heat pipe running from the NB cooler around to the rear of the CPU socket to a small fin assembly. This could get in the way of the 120, but I guess we'll see.

Firelord-OCHW
05-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. I have squeezed a HR05 on the NB and an Ultra 120 in. They fit abliet snuggly!

alan2990
05-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. I have squeezed a HR05 on the NB and an Ultra 120 in. They fit abliet snuggly!

Firelord, I would love to see pics of your setup. That's the same components that I want--DS3, Ultra-120 extreme, and HR-05. I'm just not sure if the HR-05 will fit. Seeing your pics would greatly help.