7499richard
05-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Question about my overclock, I will put my sepcs first:
QX6700 - 400 * 9 = 3600MHz
Corsair Dominator - 800MHz, 4-4-4-12, 1T
eVGA 680i, quad core revision
eVGA 8800GTX
CPU is watercooled with an MCP655, MCR320, apogee GT, DD bay res

So my problem is this, I was trying to verclock my ram and testing with memtest86+, I can run it at 1066MHz, 5-5-5-15,2T. But that gives the same bandwidth, or according to memtest, as 800, 4-4-4-12 1T. So I have decided to just run it stock.
It is stable for about 1.5hours on memtest86+.

So i figured my memory was stable, so I just went right into the Prime 95 small FFT's to check the cpu overclock. I ran it for about 5 hours and it was ok so I decided to start gaming again and running some benches. Now I have had a few intermittant crashes, so I ran memtest again, checlked out ok. But this time in prime I tried to do a blend terst and it crashed within 5 minutes. The same with OCCT, it crashes fast as well.

Now here is the weird thing, I decided to just try and run prime 95 with small fft's but leave it on for a long time, ie over 12 hours like everybody says to do. So I switched it on lastnight at around 8o'clock, and here it is today at 12o'clock still running fine, all four instances. So that is 16 hours of small FFT's fine.

So what could be causing this?

Should I be adjusting some voltages such as north bridge or something?

Here are my volts set in bios:
CPU: 1.50625V
FSB: 1.5V
Mem: 2.05V
SPP: 1.4V
MCP: AUTO
SPP <-> MCP: 1.25V

I don't really know what to do as my memory is fine on its own, and my cpu is fine on its own, but blend tests will not work. :shrug:

Any thoughts are very appreciated! :confused:

*I had a post going on here before, but I have since changed motherboards, from the striker to the evga and I am very happy. FSB is much easier to get higher. So this is all new since the last post a few weeks ago, so i have started a new thread

KILLorBE
05-21-2007, 08:38 AM
My post probably won't be of much help, but at least you'll know it isn't that strange.

The 1st system in my sig (DFI nF3 Ultra D...etc) was/is 100% stable running OCCT, Prime, Memtest86+, Benches, Games....but the funny part is that I can't (couldn't?) do any video editting w/o it giving me errors or just crap out on me.
I personally gave up as I was a guinea pig when it comes to this MOBO, yet now everything seems to work fine (This always happens to me, when I put something up for sale and check if everything is fine, before I couldn't get the NIC to work, now it works fine, but I'll have to check if the video editting works as I turned it down a notch or 10:rolleyes: only running @ 1.94Ghz right now).

All I'm trying to say is that these so called stress tests don't mean nothing to me anymore, if I can use any program for as long as I need it, only then I consider my system stable.

7499richard
05-21-2007, 04:52 PM
So I have a little update, It seems to be stable at 800 4-4-4-12, 2t timings. A lot slower than 1t and I want to be able to run 1T. I thought memtest86+ was like the standard for memory testing. The ram was stable and fine with
1t in memtest but it is not good in windows???

Is there anything I can do or what I am stuck here. Memtest86+ doesnt seem like it is good for anything. I also got a stable setting according to memtest, the setting was 1120MHz, 5-5-5-15, 2t, but the same thing in windows it will not run Prime95 blend test for more than 2 mins.

Whats up with this, memtest seems like its garbage???

7499richard
05-22-2007, 04:11 PM
bump, still looking for advice,
thanks

[XC] riptide
05-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Cooling on NorthBridge? Is it hot to touch. Hell must be. Try putting a fan on it/near it.

Avman
05-23-2007, 05:06 PM
If temps are reasonable try bumping voltages a little. That mem voltage looks a little low for the D9 stuff in your Doms. I would normally run mine (D9GMH) at 2.25v)

7499richard
05-24-2007, 01:26 PM
If temps are reasonable try bumping voltages a little. That mem voltage looks a little low for the D9 stuff in your Doms. I would normally run mine (D9GMH) at 2.25v)

Yes the northbridge is hot, I have fans on order for the side of my stacker (I am going to fill the 4 on the door with yate loons). I would like to put a small fan right on the northbride. And also around the cpu at the back of the mobo and the top, whetre the strikers heatpipes are. Cause the evga seems to be lacking in cooling, it looks like resistors, and when I touch them they burn my fingers, literally, after like .1 seconds my fingers are melting. lol

I would bump up the mem voltage to to higher but I am worried about killing the memory, I hear all these stories about people running there mem at over 2.1 on 680i and killing it within a couple weeks.

I am now running it at 1066MHz, 2.075V, 5-5-5-15-2T timings, and it is a little faster in sisoft sandra then 800, 4-4-4-12, 2T. I would like to be able to push the ram farther, say 1066with tighter timings, or maybe around 900 with 1T timings. Is this a reasonable goal???

I do have a dominator fan over the ram sticks, so I think that they are safe from heat. That cooler is excellant I think, only cost me 20 bucks and moves a decent amount of air.

Whaddaya think!!!!!?????