PDA

View Full Version : Dual Loop Questions

foodfightr
05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
When would a dual loop be neccesary? If you're going nuts with water cooling and you have far too much stuff to cool with a single loop?

Do you need duplicates of everything? Or can you share the radiator somehow

serialk11r
05-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Its never necessary to have dual loops. But when you accumlate a ton of blocks, dual loops can help. But multiple loops generally is messier because you have multiple pumps, multiple rads, multiple res. And you should have multiple rads, etc. because that's the whole point of dual loops.

CedricFP
05-20-2007, 11:22 PM
Instead of having 2 loops, I'd be more inclined to add an extra radiator in series.

In fact, I am thinking about pairing a PA120.1 or PA160 with my MCR220 - I am sure a D5 could handle that with an Apogee GT and MCW60.

serialk11r
05-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Instead of having 2 loops, I'd be more inclined to add an extra radiator in series.

In fact, I am thinking about pairing a PA120.1 or PA160 with my MCR220 - I am sure a D5 could handle that with an Apogee GT and MCW60.

Forget series my friend :)

turtletrax
05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
I just ordered a PA 120.2, another DDC-2 with Petra's top, Fusion, 2 branch adaptors and another MCW-30.

Trying to figure out how I am going to go about running dual rad, dual pump, dual chipset + single Fusion, EK8800, MCres Micro. I dont know if I want to go dual loop or run them all in series or RADs in parallel. Should be lotsa fun trying to cram it into a Armor :)

Prolly end up just buying a UFO. But we will see.

ranker
05-20-2007, 11:44 PM
When would a dual loop be neccesary? If you're going nuts with water cooling and you have far too much stuff to cool with a single loop?

Do you need duplicates of everything? Or can you share the radiator somehow

Dual loops lets you isolate your blocks so that temperatures of one block won't drastically affect those of another. It also lets you isolate problems much easier.

However, setting up multiple loops can be a headache. I sometimes regret going for a triple loop setup. It takes up a lot of space and requires careful planning. I wish I thought it out more instead of doing it by the seat of my pants.

serialk11r
05-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I just ordered a PA 120.2, another DDC-2 with Petra's top, Fusion, 2 branch adaptors and another MCW-30.

Trying to figure out how I am going to go about running dual rad, dual pump, dual chipset + single Fusion, EK8800, MCres Micro. I dont know if I want to go dual loop or run them all in series or RADs in parallel. Should be lotsa fun trying to cram it into a Armor :)

Prolly end up just buying a UFO. But we will see.

Hmmmm...:) sounds good. Fun? I hope you enjoy it...
Dual loop would be pretty cool, but you have 2 high end rads there. Well just throwing in some ideas, I would have the PA120.2 and HE120.3 branches each with one chipset block, then gpu after that... all that into an armor :) Dual loops probably will end up even messier :D Hey but there's something special about messy computers that clean ones can't match! :p:

CedricFP
05-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Forget series my friend :)
I won't be running my rads in parallel, that's for sure. Series will do fine.

septim
05-21-2007, 03:53 AM
maybe 2 PA120.2s in parallel, or 2 similar rads in parallel should be fine.

serial if you have the time maybe you should test this out since you're the one preaching on parallel rads and show us some nice results...

pa160 and mcr220 series should be fine.

CedricFP
05-21-2007, 07:30 AM
maybe 2 PA120.2s in parallel, or 2 similar rads in parallel should be fine.

serial if you have the time maybe you should test this out since you're the one preaching on parallel rads and show us some nice results...

pa160 and mcr220 series should be fine.
2 PA's would be better off in series, I reckon, seeing as they offer such low pressure drops.

turtletrax
05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Hmmmm...:) sounds good. Fun? I hope you enjoy it...
Dual loop would be pretty cool, but you have 2 high end rads there. Well just throwing in some ideas, I would have the PA120.2 and HE120.3 branches each with one chipset block, then gpu after that... all that into an armor :) Dual loops probably will end up even messier :D Hey but there's something special about messy computers that clean ones can't match! :p:

Ya it is a logistical nightmare but my DDC's and their track record scare me. I would like to have the redundancy of having them in the same loop, but I also realize the advantages of dual loop. Arrggg!!!

I should just order 40ft of masterkleer and try a whole bunch of options. Or just pull the trigger on a UFO.

What to do ???

ranker
05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Ya it is a logistical nightmare but my DDC's and their track record scare me. I would like to have the redundancy of having them in the same loop, but I also realize the advantages of dual loop. Arrggg!!!

I should just order 40ft of masterkleer and try a whole bunch of options. Or just pull the trigger on a UFO.

What to do ???

UFO. It's the best investment I made. I'm currently building 2 systems atm for coworkers/friends besides my own and going back to any case just feels "cramped". Just wait til I finish my build and get my pics up. 3 loops withing a U2-UFO is something that can only be done in a UFO case.

IanY
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
ranker,

Do you really have four 24 inch LCDs side by side ? lol

ranker
05-21-2007, 06:42 PM
ranker,

Do you really have four 24 inch LCDs side by side ? lol

I did up until 2 weeks ago, but I'm going to have to readjust my sig. I moved one to the office, and 1 to home office and kept two for my "main" system. It was just excessively stupid when I realized I wasn't using more than 2 screens to handle my home activities and gaming.

IanY
05-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I highly recommend the new 30 inch monitors.. either Samsung or Dell/LG/Phillips. They are spectacular. No, I don't have a new 3007WFP, just the last generation 3007WFP. I thought about switching over, but then its just yet another darn monitor. The 27 inch models are nice but I think the 1920 resolution is not good enough for 27 inches.

ranker
05-21-2007, 07:08 PM
I highly recommend the new 30 inch monitors.. either Samsung or Dell/LG/Phillips. They are spectacular. No, I don't have a new 3007WFP, just the last generation 3007WFP. I thought about switching over, but then its just yet another darn monitor. The 27 inch models are nice but I think the 1920 resolution is not good enough for 27 inches.

I have to let my wallet recover a bit before I blow some more money out the door. The 30" is impressive but the problem is. If I switch one monitor out, I'm going to want exactly the same for all my other computers (home office, work). That's what happened to me in the first place after I bought my first 24".

Grinch
05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
bottom line for me:

next case:

MM UFO!

ranker
05-21-2007, 08:28 PM
bottom line for me:

next case:

MM UFO!

We'll need to start something like MMA: Mountain-Mods Anonymous.

serialk11r
05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Oh god I have a single 17 incher right here...
Damn I caught both the modding fever AND the ginormous case fever. I have plans to become the most xtreme of all (behind IanY of course, you simply can't beat a 27 cubic foot case), because I drew up a gigantic case that's double the size of a Lian Li G70 + a little more :D and its totally doable.

septim
05-21-2007, 09:09 PM
yes serial make em 30x30x30.....

wah any spare LCD hand-me-downs? prefer 24" and above, hehehe

NaeKuh
05-21-2007, 09:37 PM

and my solo PA120.3 would = or beat that.. All you just did was add more restrictions.

Dual loops is used to help the overload lead from GPU's.

You usually wont dual loop something unless your seperate your GPU + CPU.

And serial is correct, its a ton messier, and a hell of a lot more clutter.

But the effects of dual color coolant: Priceless :D
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0721.jpg