PDA

View Full Version : Q6600, Striker, XMS2800...why cannot overclock??

r3zon8
05-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Q6600
Artic Freezer Pro 7
Stiker Extreme, 1002 Bios
XMS2 ddr2-800

I do admit i am somewhat new to overclocking, especially core2quads, but i recently upgraded from the P5W-DH motherboard to the Striker with the hopes of building a well rounded SLI machine. So i went with the Striker because thats what Kingpin uses ;).

Ive run into this problem however, everytime i go into the extreme tweaker sub menu and specify my fsb/mem clocks when the motherboard reboots, it posts..but it gets stuck with just 'Pheonix Bios" and some other lines of text on the screen...thats it.. it wont budge form there.

ive tried slightly adjusting Vcore, Vmem, NB/SB v...and everytime i get the same result. and im only asking for a 330 fsb, so 1320effective which i was told this board could easily handle.

im not sure if its the cpu or the mem, but im just about ready to give up on this q6600/striker combo and go back to my e6400/p5w combo which was stable as a rock at 400x8.

if anyone with a similar setup as mine could post what their BIOS settings are i would really appreciate it.

Also, at stock clocks, the machine runs fine..but with 8800 GTS's at 650gpu/850mem in SLI i am only getting 12555 3dmark06 score....this seems real low to me?? what is going on?? on my p5w/q6600 setup iwas at 11777 with a SINGLE gts card. how could another 8800GTs only give me 800 points more?

i must be doing something wrong...please help xtreme gurus.

CraptacularOne
05-19-2007, 10:57 PM
The striker cannot get high FSB speeds with quad cores. It's a reference 680i design and to my knowledge ASUS has done nothing to fix the GTL ref voltage that limits the board from getting higher FSB speeds with quad cores. EVGA is the only one that has released a new board revision that fixes the quad core FSB problem. You're not doing anything wrong it's just your board cannt clock quad core's very high on the FSB. Which is why if you look at K|ngP|n's benches he uses a QX6700 that has an unlocked multi and his FSB speeds on the Striker are only about 320Mhz or so.

If you want high FSB speeds you need to get an EVGA 680i. Then you'll be able to get FSB speeds like this..
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=171627

r3zon8
05-20-2007, 05:14 AM
thanks! im glad to hear its not me...

I should give them a buzz to see what is going on with this board. they must be aware of this issue, hopefully it can be fixed with a bios update. the tech support guys will usually send you the latest beta bios they are cooking up if you bug em enough.

Ive got e6400, e6600, and an e6700.. which chip should i drop into the Striker for a nice overclock? something to complement the 8800 gts sli setup.

CraptacularOne
05-20-2007, 06:28 AM
thanks! im glad to hear its not me...

I should give them a buzz to see what is going on with this board. they must be aware of this issue, hopefully it can be fixed with a bios update. the tech support guys will usually send you the latest beta bios they are cooking up if you bug em enough.

Ive got e6400, e6600, and an e6700.. which chip should i drop into the Striker for a nice overclock? something to complement the 8800 gts sli setup.

Unfortunately it is not possible to fix with a BIOS update as all of us EVGA 680i users found out, and is only fixable by a board revision or a board mod.

As for what chip you should put in there for dual cores. I would go with the E6600 or E6700. The ASUS has no problems overclocking dual cores chips, so it's your choice really. But if you have an E6700 already just put that one in there since it has the highest multi and will require the lowest FSB speed to get a nice overclock.

markost
05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
You are not alone. I can't even overclock the Flex XLC without the same thing happening. Good thing I chose not to hook up the Prommie.