PDA

View Full Version : Did Antec finally get it right?

quiet
05-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I just saw the new P190 case on P-PCs.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/P190_01.jpg

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/P190_02.jpg

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/images/products/P190_03.jpg

Dual power supplies, large 250mm ( looks like ) side exhaust, spot for 240 rad at the top and still has room in the bottom. If I didn't just get a G70B I would be all over this case.

afireinside
05-19-2007, 09:33 PM
200mm side fan. AMAZING case if they sell it without the crap PSUs.

[cTx] Nooc
05-19-2007, 09:34 PM
wow, a G70 outside, TJ-07 inside, except made of steel :ROTF:

serialk11r
05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
No they didn't get it right. They need to get rid of this steel bull:banana::banana::banana::banana: and then they need to make sure their PSUs (besides the phantom 500W which is made by a different OEM and happens to be very good, go look up "500W PSU comparison" and you'll see it on X-bit labs, fantastic test and review) don't have problems. Yikes my PSU is one of the PSUs that has ripple problems on the 5V rail :eek: ah who gives a s*** about 5V. I got this thing for 70 bucks.

[cTx] Nooc
05-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I have an akasa paxpower, very quiet and stable, got it a long time ago, love this thing

Ouchy
05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
No they didn't get it right. They need to get rid of this steel bull:banana::banana::banana::banana: and then they need to make sure their PSUs (besides the phantom 500W which is made by a different OEM and happens to be very good, go look up "500W PSU comparison" and you'll see it on X-bit labs, fantastic test and review) don't have problems. Yikes my PSU is one of the PSUs that has ripple problems on the 5V rail :eek: ah who gives a s*** about 5V. I got this thing for 70 bucks.

You want a silent case made out of Aluminum? Nope, sorry. Steel was used for a reason.

serialk11r
05-19-2007, 10:15 PM
You want a silent case made out of Aluminum? Nope, sorry. Steel was used for a reason.

Steel is supposed to make things "silent"??????????? :rotf: :rofl:

Ouchy
05-19-2007, 10:19 PM

You're quick to flame when you really don't know anything at all. Not a good position to have for a kid.

serialk11r
05-19-2007, 10:23 PM
You're quick to flame when you really don't know anything at all. Not a good position to have for a kid.

True steel does vibrate less, but there are ways to stop the aluminum from doing that. And uh to reduce noise there's other ways. If you have quiet fans there is no significant vibration... if I switched to a steel case I would notice nothing except that my case just became some real heavy crap that is hard to lift.

quiet
05-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Just lift some weights, if your computer is ever too heavy it's because you are too weak ;)

I've always like Antec cases because they are built like a rock. I still have a few from many years ago that look mint due to their durability. Although, the P180 had far too much plastic for my liking and so does th P190. Plastic sucks.

Jamesrt2004
05-19-2007, 10:30 PM
True steel does vibrate less, but there are ways to stop the aluminum from doing that. And uh to reduce noise there's other ways. If you have quiet fans there is no significant vibration... if I switched to a steel case I would notice nothing except that my case just became some real heavy crap that is hard to lift.

QFT tbh :) Even my p180B rattles when fans are on high, all it takes is something between the vibrating parts and the alu like silicone grommets :D then all should be well

Ouchy
05-19-2007, 10:31 PM

Yeah, we get it, you were wrong. Maybe you should Google before you open your mouth next time or show a little courtesy with your responses.

This is why I don't have kids.

Petra
05-19-2007, 10:42 PM

Well, considering that manufacturers of aluminum cases typically use thinner metal sheets to make their cases... what do you think is going to do a better job of deadening noise, 1mm steel or 0.5mm aluminum? :rolleyes: (though, yes, a lot of the difference lies in how well one manages to eliminate vibration and resonance...I've just always found it easier with a thicker steel case than a thin, flimsy aluminum case [damn G50B...sad])

I mean, if you want to take Zalman's approach and use 4mm aluminum plate, then go for it...but it's heavy and expensive. Steel is just a more cost effective material to use and it makes for a nice, sturdy case (that doesn't clog up my tungsten carbide cutting bits when I run 'em too fast :D ).

Anyway, it would appear that Antec took a step backward with this case, as far as silence goes (punch more holes into it and add more fans...wtf?). Fewer holes + fewer fans == quieter. Besides, it's not like it's hard to fit a PA160 into a P180.

ranker
05-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, we get it, you were wrong. Maybe you should Google before you open your mouth next time or show a little courtesy with your responses.

Are you sure you didn't mistype your nickname when you created this XS account? I'm positive you meant to put GROuchy! :p:

Ouchy
05-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Are you sure you didn't mistype your nickname when you created this XS account? I'm positive you meant to put GROuchy! :p:

Well, I am having a bad day, but I would have reacted the same anyways. Laughing at someone in a mockingly manner is pretty rude in most situations. Why should I be respectful if I'm laughed at when I try to clarify something? Yeah, I know, it's the internet but that doesn't mean you can be rude and not expect the same back from me.

Bail_w
05-20-2007, 12:08 AM

you were once a kid. actually it is a good thing to voice your thoughts and learn from it if they were wrong.

ranker
05-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Well, I am having a bad day, but I would have reacted the same anyways. Laughing at someone in a mockingly manner is pretty rude in most situations. Why should I be respectful if I'm laughed at when I try to clarify something? Yeah, I know, it's the internet but that doesn't mean you can be rude and not expect the same back from me.

Serial rubs people the wrong way at times with his lack of tact and sometimes overzealous nature, but in the end, i think he means well. I look at the other kids out on the street and think to myself, I'd rather have him to talk to then most others out there. He'll pick up some tact eventually. :up:

MrToad
05-20-2007, 12:49 AM
On topic:

IMHO they didn't get it right. Looks to me that it's trying to appeal too many "segments of the market" so to speak, which probably makes the design fail for every single one of them.

I can't see how you can possibly add to silence by adding more holes and putting more fans on them. It's somewhat counter-intuitive.

Besides, I think they've abused plastics once more.

If I would have to use just one word to define it I think that would be "pastiche".

I do agree on the use of steel though. In this particular design using aluminium would have added to the price and subtracted from rigidity and noise dampening with nothing to show off for it.

Off-topic:

I agree that serial might not be the most politically correct person out there, and he might suffer from something that is endemic on the human species, being strongly opinionated about subjects without much experience or fact to back it up, but he shows a genuine interest in things, as opposite to the whole "woever, am I bovvered?" culture, and most of the time he reads before he answers, instead of using the reading time to think on what to write.

Having a kid like him would be a reason for joy, not a burden.

septim
05-20-2007, 05:09 AM
agreed another step backwards for this case...
extra side 200mm fan would probably interfere with airflow...

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-20-2007, 08:10 AM
I would never buy it because of the steel... the p180 is a two-hander just to lift and is excessively heavy for a mid tower. I don't even want to imagine trying to move this case, its absolutely absurd how much this case will weigh once you put in all of the drives and components in that its huge a$$ is meant to fit

P190: Gross weight: 51.1lbs / 23.2kg <---taken from p-pcs

my g70 weighs no more than 10-15 pounds empty.... 51.1lbs plus components and water ! 60+ lbs IMO wayyyy to much, the thing will become a fixture where you set it up

onekewlchip
05-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Anyway, it would appear that Antec took a step backward with this case, as far as silence goes (punch more holes into it and add more fans...wtf?). Fewer holes + fewer fans == quieter. Besides, it's not like it's hard to fit a PA160 into a P180.

That's not necessarily true. Yes more fans at full speed are louder than less fans at full speed, however more fans at lower voltage/speed is much quieter than one fan at full speed with superior airflow.

burton
05-20-2007, 08:27 AM
i dont like the case it is ugly

jinsean
05-20-2007, 08:27 AM
lame... the p190 comes with the 2 PSUs standard. At least, that's how performance PCs is selling them.

If the dimensions were a little bigger than the p180s that would be a plus I guess... this is coming from a guy who plans to WC using a p180b...

Don't really mind lifting the case... it's a good work out... just lift with your back not your legs... you'll be all good :yepp:

Kayin
05-20-2007, 09:34 AM
My loaded PC-60 tops 70. Without sides. I don't think it'll be that bad...

That said, I'm reluctant to add that third loop now...

serialk11r
05-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Aluminum still has the better strength to weight ratio. Yes steel is 4 times cheaper :P If I were trying to have a silent computer I would definitely not buy a steel case to do it. Quiet fans won't rattle even in a rattly aluminum case (my case :() and hard drives well they have their methods...I've done tons of ghetto crap to silence things (you don't want to see it). I CAN pick up a steel case but I think its much more pleasant having an aluminum one. And yep I had a steel case sitting around too and its not perceptibly quieter with fans. I ended up cutting a few panels out and getting rid of the rest.

[cTx] Nooc
05-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Aluminum cases are sturdy, light, and pretty ;) and most of them are not that expensive

serialk11r
05-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Simply, if used properly, its the better material.

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-20-2007, 10:49 AM
on lifting steel cases:

yes you can lift it but you are runnign a big risk of dropping the thing and all the thousands of dollars worth of components going to :banana::banana::banana::banana:. really not worth it IMO

Sparky
05-20-2007, 11:18 AM
geez a bunch of wimps in here :p:

No you aren't running a big risk of dropping your PC if you have a steel case, heck they all used to be steel originally ;) If the case is too much for you to carry, then don't get it. But seriously if 60lbs is too heavy for you to carry then you are an aweful weakling, I mean come on I don't work out at all and I can carry that much without a problem ;)

Oh and steel vs aluminum for noise is dependent more on the case construction than the material. My aluminum case doesn't rattle any more than my old steel case.

Anemone
05-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Antec doesn't make many aluminum cases because they don't do it well. It's hard to make aluminum and make it right, so it doesn't rattle and is sturdy while being lightweight. Antec makes up for that "normally" with good thought into design. They try to innovate by thinking about what's in front of them.

But AL just isn't their thing. And yes, while I owned them once, I no longer buy any of their products because they are too heavy. But before we all point the finger at them, the first gen stacker was a beast too.

IanY
05-20-2007, 02:47 PM
My objection isn't the steel per se. I do like steel cases, and I am an old use of the Stacker.

Its how Antec make them look attractive in a photo. I remember WHEN I went to CompUSA with the specific intent to buy a P180. Then I felt the bu11sh1t plastic.. and then the steel.. and even more cheap plastic. It just looked.. cheap. I walked out.