PDA

View Full Version : Any Mobo/Bios Been Able To reset Tbred2200+ 13.5X Multiplier Without L3 Mod??

candjac
06-30-2002, 06:36 AM
As the subject says...trying to find at least one mobo/bios that can reset the 8X Bit Value from default HI to LO so system can run at 12.5X and lower without an L3 bridges mod.

Also, has anyone tried a simpler mod of only closing the rightmost L3 bridge?? This bridge controls the 8X Bit Value, just as the Palomino L10 bridge pair controls its 8X Bit Value. So IF just reversing the XP 2100+'s L10 open/closed to closed/open worked to enable the mobo/bios to reset 5X thru 12.5X Multipliers, THEN just closing Tbred 2200+'s rightmost 8X L3 bridge should have the same effect...might be no need to close the other 2 open L3 bridges. The system should boot at 5.5X instead of 11X when all 3 bridges are closed, but that should not be a problem since it's reported that the 3 bridge mod enables ALL Multipliers from 5X thru 12.5X...so 5.5X should post.

Many kudos to guys here at xtremesystems for initial discovery of the mod, we're only trying to make it a bit less work.

http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm link to Tbred decoding article...detailed explanation/circuits of Tbred's system of Multiplier and bridges.
John C.

DaGooch
06-30-2002, 02:02 PM
Very nice and detailed decoding of the TBred John. Now I see that the L10 Hi/Lo on the Palomino is now the right most bridge in the L3 area. Concerning just closing that bridge, I presently do not have a TBred in my possession to test full functionality by closing just the right most L3 bridge. From a reliable source, there seems to a motherboard with proper bios support that switches the Hi/Lo bit without any modifications so that one does not even have to do the modification. I will try to get them to comment on this thread.

KnightElite
06-30-2002, 03:19 PM
I believe that Steve at [H]ard|OCP got his to work fine with all multipliers on an ASUS A7V333, but I searched yesterday, and that 2200+ review seems to be gone...?

DaGooch
06-30-2002, 05:47 PM
John:

It seems that just connecting the Hi/Lo bit bridge works and has been confirmed.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1459

candjac
06-30-2002, 07:19 PM
dagooch et al,
Thanks for the confirmation on the need to only close the one rightmost L3 bridge. We also saw in Deerhunter's thread that he closed that bridge by looping a conductive trace around the trench. We suggested that in our email to Frank aka dagooch?? @ xtremesystems.org dated 6/24/02....

Quote....
Just closing the rightmost L3 bridge should work, though it should boot into 5.5X instead of 11X, but less work. In fact just "grounding" the 8X signal bus ought to work. Since the bottom of the rightmost L1 bridge,
and the top of the rightmost L3 bridge should be connected to that 8X signal bus...a simple conductive trace from either to a surface ground should be the easiest mod. Surface labels and icons are reported to be at ground level. Other options not requiring filling the L3 cavity...

1:- Close that rightmost open L3 by "looping" a reverse "C" around the trench...seems to be room to the right...then no trench filling op.

2:- A simple conductive trace from the bottom of that L1, or the top if it's closed, to a surface ground should be another easy way to reset the 8X Bit Value LO.
End Quote

Thanks again for confirming our suggestion for closing only the one L3, but all remember that the folks at xtremesystems.org made the "original" discovery of closing all 3 open L3s.

One final thought re references to the Palomino L10 bridge pair and the rightmost Tbred L3 as the "HI/LO bit". Yes those bridge/s do actually change the "range" of Multipliers when set LO or HI, but not as some sort of a "special range switch". All they do is Enable or Disable an 8X Bit Value whose circuits are exactly the same as the other 4 .5X, 1X, 2X, 4X Bit Value circuits. It's simply the "magnitude" of 8X being Enabled or Disabled that causes a Multiplier "range change", not some "special circuit switching". Hope we made this clear.

Thanks again for the confirmation, have to add the info to Tbred decoding page...with proper credit....as soon as ISP unlocks our .htm files.;-)
John C.

DaGooch
06-30-2002, 08:31 PM
John:

That is my correct Email address but I unfortunately did not receive any correspondence from you or any person trying to contact me due to our ISP and server switch at the worst time. :(