PDA

View Full Version : 2 cable modems

elric
06-30-2002, 05:46 AM
Does anyone know how I could get two cable modems to work as one? My service only allows 128k up, 3M down. I have 2 workng modems (yes they are running on two computers) and cannot find any info on how to get them to work together for a single connection. 128k really bites for playing games.
BTW- The service allows up to four modems on a single account. this would give 12M down because of the timing offset.

IFMU
06-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Hmm... Whats your ISP? Thats kinda cool they let that work like that.

The only way I can think of would be to set up 2 nics in 1 system. and run them both out of the modem. Hmm.. interesting idea.
Not real sure how to set it up honestly. Maybe someone else does.. heh

well consider this a bump!~!

Smizack
06-30-2002, 04:54 PM
It can be done, but you'd have to pay for the service twice.
Your ISP has to have your modem's MAC address for it to renew it's dhcp lease. And each modem will have a differant mac address.

elric
06-30-2002, 05:58 PM
I don't have to pay for it twice because one is a test modem that i use on the job. I have put two nics in my box and windows gets confused on who to use to talk. The service uses MAC addys of the card to id the box so it does not matter if they are in the same box.
So far we are not charging for multiple modems. That is not spoken of much. Thankfully. When accounts are created everyone is set up to use 4.

DaGooch
06-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Try a load balancing multi port NIC with the supported software and it should be fine after each port is assigned with it's IP or Mac Addy.

You can run two different network cards but they must have load balancing supported with the proper software. Most Intel NICs can peform this function.

elric
06-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Sounds like i need to buy some better NICs. Just using cheapo ones now. No goodies at all on them. Any suggetion to model #?

DaGooch
06-30-2002, 06:23 PM
For two NICS use PILA8470 and download the software. You can purchase them for $26.00 a piece here http://www.centrix-intl.com/list.asp?CategoryID=5

The dual port single NIC is 10BT/100BTX PILA8472C3 PRO/100 S DUAL PORT SERVER ADAPTER and you can find them for around $150.00 if you do some searching.

Technical specifications and software download is here http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/21397.htm

elric
06-30-2002, 06:38 PM
Thank you very much for the 411. I and many others will be pleased if this works. I have been trying to do this for a while and had almost given up.

:toast: to all of you. Dang, I found real people here.

Smizack
06-30-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by elric
I don't have to pay for it twice because one is a test modem that i use on the job. I have put two nics in my box and windows gets confused on who to use to talk. The service uses MAC addys of the card to id the box so it does not matter if they are in the same box.
So far we are not charging for multiple modems. That is not spoken of much. Thankfully. When accounts are created everyone is set up to use 4.

Ahhhh Kewl. Most ISP's don't let you do that. And yeah, you'll need a 2 port nic for that. I've been looking for one myself, but they aren't too cheap yet.

elric
07-01-2002, 03:21 AM
It may be a litle pricey, but when the service is free along with the modems it does not matter(much). The sad part of it all is that both of them together cant do what one would do if it were upcapped. No cap gives 10Mb down and 3Mb up. All I want is more upload capability. 128k is almost worthless for games, filesharing and the like.

scrllock
07-08-2002, 12:34 PM
it might help to use some software that is designed to do this... cant remember the name off my head. Im pretty sure that if youy had dsl and cable it can be done to... :banana:

elric
07-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Im gonna order the cards that DaGoochMeister reccommended this weekend. The test modem of mine has been bumped up to 384k up. Working on the home modem next. Gotta get approval from the upper ranks on that. 768k would be sweeter.

sysfailur
07-27-2002, 06:40 AM
Easy as cake... Buy yourself one of these: http://www.nexland.com/nexlandstore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NO&Product_Code=200040

TheDude
07-30-2002, 03:59 PM
I have 2 identical DSL modems, but I don't think I could bundle them without paying for a second connection?

sysfailur
08-01-2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by TheDude
I have 2 identical DSL modems, but I don't think I could bundle them without paying for a second connection?

I'm not sure about that. You could always try buying a splitter on your dsl line, and then plugging in both modems. Will it work? I dunno. I'm pretty sure you can't do that w/ cable modems, but with a DSL line, maybe.