PDA

View Full Version : What else do I need for my new RD-30

ranker
05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I just purchased two RD-30's. I'm curious on what sort of power supply or accessories I'll need in order to get it to work with my current system. It's being shipped and should be here by Monday so I'd rather minimize my downtime and get what's needed ahead of time.

Any info would be appreciated.

phelan1777
05-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I just purchased two RD-30's. I'm curious on what sort of power supply or accessories I'll need in order to get it to work with my current system. It's being shipped and should be here by Monday so I'd rather minimize my downtime and get what's needed ahead of time.

Any info would be appreciated.

WOW 2 RD30s?

I use an Meanwell S-150-24, as do a number of us that ordered ours when we did.

TWO RD30s!

Are you running a POOL! :-P

ranker
05-16-2007, 04:33 PM
WOW 2 RD30s?

I use an Meanwell S-150-24, as do a number of us that ordered ours when we did.

TWO RD30s!

Are you running a POOL! :-P

Can I run two RD-30's off of one of those? Also how much is one of those PSU's are where's the best (cheapest) place to get one.

Yeah.. I got two. I figured my system is overkill enough that what's another two pumps. I didn't think I could fit 3 in my U2. I'm gonna have to rearrange things to just fit two. Right now I'm thinking 1 for the CPU, 1 for the GTX SLI, and then I'll use two of my DDC-2's in series for the chipset and I'll use my last DDC-2 in another build sometime in the future.

phelan1777
05-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Can I run two RD-30's off of one of those? Also how much is one of those PSU's are where's the best (cheapest) place to get one.

Yeah.. I got two. I figured my system is overkill enough that what's another two pumps. I didn't think I could fit 3 in my U2. I'm gonna have to rearrange things to just fit two. Right now I'm thinking 1 for the CPU, 1 for the GTX SLI, and then I'll use two of my DDC-2's in series for the chipset and I'll use my last DDC-2 in another build sometime in the future.

Seriously if you are running everything on one loop, you would only need 1 pump, they are MAD powerful.

I got mine sent with me, when I got my pump, from "Fareast" If you google, you can find online dealers. They are like 50-90$ a piece.

they run 18-24V, @ 18V pretty quiet, get a bit louder over 20V, but you really don't need to run over 20V, as they give off quite a bit of heat with more V.

No I don't think it would be a good idea to run two off of one, and they are not small, but not bulky either, and the Pump it self is about the size of a Softball.

As an example, my entire rig is on one pump, thats four blocks, one of which is very restrictive, and I only run @18V and get sweet temps.

SiGfever
05-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Congratulations sir...You ARE XTreme! :toast: :toast: :woot:

phelan1777
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Also, forgot to mention you will have to make your own power cord for the Mean well.

IanY
05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
How many DDC+ does it take to replicate a RD30? Three? Four?

How many RD30s can one Meanwell S320 support? Only one?

MaxxxRacer
05-16-2007, 07:00 PM
How many DDC+ does it take to replicate a RD30? Three? Four?

How many RD30s can one Meanwell S320 support? Only one?

Two DDC-2's with Petras tops is about equivalent to an RD30 at 18v IIRC, but with a bit more heat dump.

The S320 should be fine for two of them. The normal current of the RD30 isnt so high, its the startup current that you have to watch for. In theory, if it were possible to stagger the startup of the two pumps you should be able to run two RD30's on an S320.

nikhsub1
05-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Two DDC-2's with Petras tops is about equivalent to an RD30 at 18v IIRC, but with a bit more heat dump.

The S320 should be fine for two of them. The normal current of the RD30 isnt so high, its the startup current that you have to watch for. In theory, if it were possible to stagger the startup of the two pumps you should be able to run two RD30's on an S320.

No, 2 18w DDC with Petra or alpha top is better than 1 RD-30 at 24v. The ddc's have more pressure and less heat dump. 2x DDC's have about 38ft head, RD at 24v has 33ft.

NaeKuh
05-16-2007, 07:48 PM
i think 80% of all the members who bought RD-30's last month and this month all owe it to me for finding the pump.

Also, ranker, i got my meanwell S150-24 on ebay for about 30 dollar shipped, new.

I suggest you hit ebay as well. You might find it cheaper.

This is what i'll use:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0663.jpg

Might be a bit blury. But thats the meanwell. You'll need a switch relay also, so i guess this is how the complete package should look like.

Oh one last thing, 1/2ID tubing will fit over the barbs. So dont worry about it not fitting.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/IMG_0673.jpg

ranker
05-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I don't have much room left in my U2-UFO. I'd like to find out which PSU can run two RD-30's. My entire back side is jam packed with HD's, radiators, PSU, 2 pumps, and my entire bay drive is full. Heck, I had to velcro mount my two MiniNG's and my Sensor bus in odd out of the way locations just to fit stuff in.

The only spot left that's not taken after my estimations would be the secondary PSU cutout that's positioned over the motherboard.

So, which meanwell PSU should I get and how much do they cost. Also, why do we have to purchase meanwell PSU's instead of using a regular PSU? I have a 850W Silverstone PSU and a 1k PCP&C PSU lying around (although the 1k sounds like a damn hurricane)

septim
05-16-2007, 08:54 PM
ranker you are the man... simply extreme

NaeKuh
05-16-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't have much room left in my U2-UFO. I'd like to find out which PSU can run two RD-30's. My entire back side is jam packed with HD's, radiators, PSU, 2 pumps, and my entire bay drive is full. Heck, I had to velcro mount my two MiniNG's and my Sensor bus in odd out of the way locations just to fit stuff in.

The only spot left that's not taken after my estimations would be the secondary PSU cutout that's positioned over the motherboard.

So, which meanwell PSU should I get and how much do they cost. Also, why do we have to purchase meanwell PSU's instead of using a regular PSU? I have a 850W Silverstone PSU and a 1k PCP&C PSU lying around (although the 1k sounds like a damn hurricane)

if its for purely the pumps. I dont see how you would need more then that S150.

These pumps dont push out 75W each. Unless MAXX wants to correct me. :p:

But im fairly sure that S150 would be enough for 2 pumps.

Ranker, i was going to mount it behind my MOBO, vertically. Its small enough to fit, and i have a nice piece of neoprene left over that i can use as a base cover. Then i was thinking of mounting a small fan over the opening top.

If all my parts come in by friday, you should see some pics of the setup this weekend. However, i need to plan my downtime on my main rig to pull out all the parts. 2/4 of my raptors are inside. Also my board cpu ram psu. And my waterblocks.

I wish there wasnt a ghetto way of mounting a PA120.2 in the rear. :\ But i also realized if i did that, i couldnt mount the hard drive cage behind it. So MCR220 it is. Im just hoping its enough for 2 8950GX2 when they come out. Otherwise i see a PA160 up front being added with another RD-30 to compensate for the extra heat.

Petra
05-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Also, why do we have to purchase meanwell PSU's instead of using a regular PSU? I have a 850W Silverstone PSU and a 1k PCP&C PSU lying around (although the 1k sounds like a damn hurricane)

Well, you don't have to purchase a Meanwell... but you will need some sort of 18V-24V DC power source to operate the pump (which is why standard ATX PSU's won't work--12V, 5V, and 3.3V==no go).

NaeKuh
05-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, you don't have to purchase a Meanwell... but you will need some sort of 18V-24V DC power source to operate the pump (which is why standard ATX PSU's won't work--12V, 5V, and 3.3V==no go).

alex what happened to the converters? is it a lost cause? because id honstly rather hook it up directly to the PSU.

sanhacker
05-16-2007, 10:23 PM
if its for purely the pumps. I dont see how you would need more then that S150.

These pumps dont push out 75W each. Unless MAXX wants to correct me. :p:

But im fairly sure that S150 would be enough for 2 pumps.

Actually, at 24v its 76.8 watts At 18v it's 57.6 watts.
Volts x Amps = Watts

I have no idea of the startup current. I'm only going by the 3.2 amp rating.

serialk11r
05-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Actually, at 24v its 76.8 watts At 18v it's 57.6 watts.
Volts x Amps = Watts

I have no idea of the startup current. I'm only going by the 3.2 amp rating.

Note that 3.2A is the MAX current, so the pump most likely will be drawing less than that under normal circumstances. However because of inertia we know the startup current is much higher, and that's what we're worried about, that starting TWO pumps might overwhelm the PSU. Although you COULD rip it open and mod it :)

Petra
05-16-2007, 11:56 PM
alex what happened to the converters? is it a lost cause? because id honstly rather hook it up directly to the PSU.

Well, I'm still searching for an appropriate DC/DC converter that's somewhat affordable. I've found a few that I know won't have issues with the RD-30's 10A rated startup current draw (which, apparently, occurs over a very short duration, which I'm still looking into... however, it seems quick enough to where I can probably get away with a lot less than previously thought) but they're too pricey and don't have much adjustability. However, I should be able to come up with something once I get a chance to do a little more experimenting with my RD-30.

serialk11r
05-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Well, I'm still searching for an appropriate DC/DC converter that's somewhat affordable. I've found a few that I know won't have issues with the RD-30's 10A rated startup current draw (which, apparently, occurs over a very short duration, which I'm still looking into... however, it seems quick enough to where I can probably get away with a lot less than previously thought) but they're too pricey and don't have much adjustability. However, I should be able to come up with something once I get a chance to do a little more experimenting with my RD-30.

Hey petra, I have an idea. YOU build the converters ;) j/k I'd actually be glad to build some...bleh that's just cuz I have too much time anyways. My plan is to study all this magnetism, induction, and all that crap with the calculus and numbers and everything, so I can build a DC/DC converter for my adventures I'm planning as well as...cough...multistage coilgun...cough?

Petra
05-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Hey petra, I have an idea. YOU build the converters ;) j/k

Oh, don't tempt me.... I've already been considering it... :rolleyes: (though, I'd rather see what I can do to the DDC-3.2's motor first)

ranker
05-17-2007, 12:48 AM
So, we have to make our own wires for this thing? I hope there's a sort of instruction manual for that.

Also, which model should I get to be able to run two without having to go through the complicated steps of having one set on a switch in order to stagger their startup.

What kind of noise can I expect with these pumps? How far down will they undervolt?

serialk11r
05-17-2007, 12:50 AM
So, we have to make our own wires for this thing? I hope there's a sort of instruction manual for that.

Also, which model should I get to be able to run two without having to go through the complicated steps of having one set on a switch in order to stagger their startup.

What kind of noise can I expect with these pumps? How far down will they undervolt?

IIRC you don't have to make wires, but the wires that come with it just have a stripped end and nothing more...maybe I'm wrong. Anyways you'll need erm...14 gauge? wire if you really do need to provide your own wires.
Meanwell s-320-24 should do the job without getting overwhelmed...Or you can always make your OWN PSU :D :P I figured 99% of people don't like that.
Meanwhile I, being part of the 1%, am trying to come up with an SMPS DC/DC converter design...

ranker
05-17-2007, 12:53 AM
IIRC you don't have to make wires, but the wires that come with it just have a stripped end and nothing more...maybe I'm wrong. Anyways you'll need erm...14 gauge? wire if you really do need to provide your own wires.
Meanwell s-320-24 should do the job without getting overwhelmed...Or you can always make your OWN PSU :D :P I figured 99% of people don't like that.
Meanwhile I, being part of the 1%, am trying to come up with an SMPS DC/DC converter design...

So if they come stripped, what do I need to do? slap on some molex pins? or is there more modding to be done?

Also, what reputable stores carry the S-320-24?

serialk11r
05-17-2007, 12:55 AM
So if they come stripped, what do I need to do? slap on some molex pins? or is there more modding to be done?

Also, what reputable stores carry the S-320-24?

Well AFAIK the Meanwell PSUs come with some kind of bare header thingy you attach the wire to...S-320-24 can be found on DD (maybe), FrozenCPU, Sidewinder (maybe) but there's lots of other places to get adjustable 24V PSUs. Do a little google search, maybe look on ebay.

ranker
05-17-2007, 01:06 AM
Well AFAIK the Meanwell PSUs come with some kind of bare header thingy you attach the wire to...S-320-24 can be found on DD (maybe), FrozenCPU, Sidewinder (maybe) but there's lots of other places to get adjustable 24V PSUs. Do a little google search, maybe look on ebay.

I can find the S-320-12 on DD and Performance-pcs but I can't find the S-320-24 anywhere.

serialk11r
05-17-2007, 01:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MEANWELL-S-320-24_W0QQitemZ230082355463QQihZ013QQcategoryZ50953QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
;) Hurry and grab it!

Jedda
05-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Does that S320 need a fan nearby?

septim
05-17-2007, 03:42 AM
would be better to all electronics if some airflow alleviates heat...

IanY
05-17-2007, 05:26 AM
I don't mean to be rude, but I am observing and coming to certain conclusions based upon what I am told:

Perfornance:
Two DDC+ with Petra tops are supposed to have higher pressure than a RD30 at 18V and may have a lower heat dump than a RD30 at 24V, but not really at 18V. I call it a draw here.

Cost:
Two Petra top DDC+s cost about $200. An RD30 costs about $175, give or take $10. A Mean Well PSU costs about $50 ? Assume that there's an extra $10 for Tygon, barbs, clamps, etc. between the two DDC+s, and it still comes out cheaper. Advantage DDC+

Space:
Two DDC+s take up space, but the individual pumps can be located at various spots within a case. RD30 is large, but really doesn't seem as large as two D5s.. not obnoxious. I hate it that the Meanwell is not computer case plug and play friendly and cannot be easily mounted in an optical bay without modification. Advantage DDC+

Reliability:
RD30 is supposed to be a lot more reliable. Yet, redundancy of two DDC+ ensures that risk of system death is minimal. I see it as a draw.

Installation:
Switch relay? Make your own power cord? WTF WTF. Advantage DDC+, except that the Petra top installation video still needs a model in a halter top.

Purchase Accessibility:
Don't go there. I finally got it into my thick skull that the MeanWell S320 at Swiftech.. of which I was about to buy four.. is the 12 volts model. Almost like trying to find a Cathar silver block for sale. Advatage DDC+

RMA:
Assuming that a RD30 ever needs to be exchanged, its probably a PITA. On the other hand, RMA a DDC+ (never done so) must also be painful. However, presumably one DDC+ will sill be operative. I see it as a draw, but slight advantage to DDC+

Bling:
Advantage RD30.

For those already using two DDC+s in a loop, where is the incentive, notwithstanding the xtreme coolness factor ?

IanY
05-17-2007, 05:33 AM
Next question. How do two MD-20s (AC power) in series perform relative to a RD30, and relative to two DDC+ ?

phelan1777
05-17-2007, 06:41 AM
I don't mean to be rude, but I am observing and coming to certain conclusions based upon what I am told:

Perfornance:
Two DDC+ with Petra tops are supposed to have higher pressure than a RD30 at 18V and may have a lower heat dump than a RD30 at 24V, but not really at 18V. I call it a draw here.

Cost:
Two Petra top DDC+s cost about $200. An RD30 costs about $175, give or take $10. A Mean Well PSU costs about $50 ? Assume that there's an extra $10 for Tygon, barbs, clamps, etc. between the two DDC+s, and it still comes out cheaper. Advantage DDC+

Space:
Two DDC+s take up space, but the individual pumps can be located at various spots within a case. RD30 is large, but really doesn't seem as large as two D5s.. not obnoxious. I hate it that the Meanwell is not computer case plug and play friendly and cannot be easily mounted in an optical bay without modification. Advantage DDC+

Reliability:
RD30 is supposed to be a lot more reliable. Yet, redundancy of two DDC+ ensures that risk of system death is minimal. I see it as a draw.

Installation:
Switch relay? Make your own power cord? WTF WTF. Advantage DDC+, except that the Petra top installation video still needs a model in a halter top.

Purchase Accessibility:
Don't go there. I finally got it into my thick skull that the MeanWell S320 at Swiftech.. of which I was about to buy four.. is the 12 volts model. Almost like trying to find a Cathar silver block for sale. Advatage DDC+

RMA:
Assuming that a RD30 ever needs to be exchanged, its probably a PITA. On the other hand, RMA a DDC+ (never done so) must also be painful. However, presumably one DDC+ will sill be operative. I see it as a draw, but slight advantage to DDC+

Bling:
Advantage RD30.

For those already using two DDC+s in a loop, where is the incentive, notwithstanding the xtreme coolness factor ?

Forgot to mention that at least my understanding is that the DDCs get QUITE warm, as where the RD30, doesn't so much, depending on V, most don't need above 18-20V

IanY
05-17-2007, 06:48 AM
Correct Phelan!

Heat:
Advantage RD30.

Noise:
Probably a draw, but I wouldn't know because never had a RD30 before.

Jedda
05-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Forgot to mention that at least my understanding is that the DDCs get QUITE warm, as where the RD30, doesn't so much, depending on V, most don't need above 18-20V

Max made that point earlier in the thread. He didn't emphasise it QUITE so much, 'though. ;)

septim
05-17-2007, 07:34 AM
IanY, maybe think of it this way, he's much like you, money to spend around...

IanY
05-17-2007, 07:39 AM
IanY, maybe think of it this way, he's much like you, money to spend around...

Oh.. I don't doubt that ! I have been speaking to him :)

nikhsub1
05-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Perfornance:
2 DDC have higher pressure than an RD-30 at 24v, one DDC with top is almost same as RD-30 at 18v, lets get this straight.

Cost:
$175 for an RD-30? Show me where please!

Space:

Reliability:
Iwakis are tanks, make no mistake. I put my money on one Iwaki vs 2 DDC in terms of reliability.

Installation:
Yep.

Purchase Accessibility:

RMA:

Bling:
Advantage RD30.
I disagree, I am partial to the alpha tops though which IMO look damn nice

IDC about coolness factor. Bottom line is that 2 DDC with proper top will outperform (albeit perhaps not even measurable) a single RD-30 at any voltage. They are much quieter, and smaller. You also don't need a 24v PSU. I ran an RD-30 for 2 years which is now powering my testbed. It is a great pump but, for ME the 2 DDC's work out far better. Those that say their DDC's get HOT, mine don't at all. Mine barely get warm whereas the RD-30 at 24v gets scorching, you can't put your hand on it for more than a few seconds - this is normal for Iwakis though.

IanY
05-17-2007, 08:34 AM
This is most confusing. Then why the hype and hoopla about the RD30 ?

nikhsub1
05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
This is most confusing. Then why the hype and hoopla about the RD30 ?
Because I sourced a couple 2.5 years ago and everyone wants what I have, just look at the MM cases :D And that's the whole truth.

Gyrfalcon
05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
well for ranker he will have 2 RD30 instead of needing 4 DDC-2

nikhsub1
05-17-2007, 09:06 AM
My thread about my RD-30 install
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48533

phelan1777
05-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Correct Phelan!

Heat:
Advantage RD30.

Noise:
Probably a draw, but I wouldn't know because never had a RD30 before.

Well, i run 3 SAn Ace 120X38 @ 12V, and they, to me are not loud, well cover all the other noise that MIGHT come from my case, I can't hear the pump over them, even @ 24V, I have run the pump through out the range of its V and unless its completely quiet, and the pump is around 22-24V, then its noticeable.

But if you are running low and have more then 1-2 Yate Loons, I seriously doubt it would be audible, but that is my experience. I know the DDCs (have heard them @ Philly_boy's) are pretty quiet.

Hey, PETRA, can you do a noise comparison, or even NIKSUB since you have MAD hardware?

2 DDC have higher pressure than an RD-30 at 24v, one DDC with top is almost same as RD-30 at 18v, lets get this straight.

$175 for an RD-30? Show me where please!

I have to agree the pump EASILY goes for 200+.

OCme
05-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Because I sourced a couple 2.5 years ago and everyone wants what I have, just look at the MM cases :D And that's the whole truth.

:cool: Oraly???

ranker
05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
According to the supplier, the prices fluctuate. I got mine for $190 shipped each.

The whole purpose of buying them was to get the reliability of 2 DDC's and comparable performance without taking up as much space. The RD-30 is larger in the vertical sense, but it appears to have a smaller footprint that needs to be attached to the case. I'll have pictures of my case up soon, but you'll soon see I don't have much surface area available.

The bling factor doesn't hurt as well. If anything, I'm just addicted to tinkering with my WC'ing loop. I have a bunch of waterblocks, pumps, radiators, tubing, fitting around just because I love tinkering with stuff and seeing for myself how well they perform and are built.

It's a hobby for sure, although an expensive one =)

IanY
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
It's a hobby for sure, although an expensive one =)

Now that you know how to wax car bodies, let me introduce you to an infinitely more expensive hobby lol :)

Petra
05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Hey, PETRA, can you do a noise comparison, or even NIKSUB since you have MAD hardware?

If I have time later on, I'll see what I can do about doing some comparative noise testing (near-field measurements, you guys can calculate them out to whatever distance you want... lol).

Anyway, here's the rough performance comparison of the RD-30 at 18.10V and the DDC-2 w/top at 12.00V that I posted in my most recent pump testing thread:

http://site.petrastechshop.com/charts/RD-30PQ.jpg

serialk11r
05-17-2007, 02:44 PM
If I have time later on, I'll see what I can do about doing some comparative noise testing (near-field measurements, you guys can calculate them out to whatever distance you want... lol).

Anyway, here's the rough performance comparison of the RD-30 at 18.10V and the DDC-2 w/top at 12.00V that I posted in my most recent pump testing thread:

http://site.petrastechshop.com/charts/RD-30PQ.jpg

Hmmmm...so at 18V they only draw like 35W? Whoa...pretty cool :D
Well Petra I remember you saying that Laing is not going to make DDC pumps anymore, so that's a very good reason for buying an RD30:D

Petra
05-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Well Petra I remember you saying that Laing is not going to make DDC pumps anymore, so that's a very good reason for buying an RD30:D

That's not even close to what I said...

The 18W DDC-2 is being phased out and replaced with the 18W DDC-3.2 (blue impeller, new motor). Details can be found in the testing thread (as I recall, my first post covers it pretty clearly): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137484

ranker
05-17-2007, 02:57 PM
So as I was saying, we need to get a 24V model and not a 12V model right?

So where can I find a Meanwell S-320-24?

ranker
05-17-2007, 02:57 PM

The 18W DDC-2 is being phased out and replaced with the 18W DDC-3.2 (blue impeller, new motor). Details can be found in the testing thread (as I recall, my first post covers it pretty clearly): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137484

I'm not too good at reading graphs but can you tell me the gist of what it demonstrates.

serialk11r
05-17-2007, 03:01 PM

Ooops sorry. But isn't the DDC 3.2 like...sucky? ah that's why you're trying to modify the motor eh?

Petra
05-17-2007, 03:09 PM
ah that's why you're trying to modify the motor eh?

Bingo (that, and I don't have a whole lot of faith in Laing when it comes to actually obtaining a production commitment for the DDC-3.3 any time soon).

NaeKuh
05-17-2007, 03:19 PM
why wont the S150-24 be enough for ranker?

i dont understand why you guys are pressing him to get the 320W.

Its a lot bigger then the 150. Not to mention about 3x more expensive.

And lets keep the prices of the RD-30 out of the threads. You guys are spitting out tons of different prices. I was the one who found the distributor that gave it at the awesome price. And i want to keep it privite incase that price ever changes.

Also, i have 2xDDC-2 @iany, your right when you have 2 and 1 fails, your safe, however, have you ever tried unplugging a dual ddc-2 setup and have it run on a single DDC-2. You take a fairly big performance hit, if your loop is highly obstructive. Id rather go with a single solution that wont fail.

And if worse comes to worse, i'll throw it on my salt water tank, and just go back to dual DDC-2.

For the record, MY IWAKI + MEANWELL + Relay: came out less expensive then 3 DDC-2 /w petratop. Its not a cheap solution, but as nikhsub1 states, its leet, looks bling, and iwaki's are tanks.

ranker
05-17-2007, 04:15 PM
why wont the S150-24 be enough for ranker?

i dont understand why you guys are pressing him to get the 320W.

Its a lot bigger then the 150. Not to mention about 3x more expensive.

And lets keep the prices of the RD-30 out of the threads. You guys are spitting out tons of different prices. I was the one who found the distributor that gave it at the awesome price. And i want to keep it privite incase that price ever changes.

Also, i have 2xDDC-2 @iany, your right when you have 2 and 1 fails, your safe, however, have you ever tried unplugging a dual ddc-2 setup and have it run on a single DDC-2. You take a fairly big performance hit, if your loop is highly obstructive. Id rather go with a single solution that wont fail.

And if worse comes to worse, i'll throw it on my salt water tank, and just go back to dual DDC-2.

For the record, MY IWAKI + MEANWELL + Relay: came out less expensive then 3 DDC-2 /w petratop. Its not a cheap solution, but as nikhsub1 states, its leet, looks bling, and iwaki's are tanks.

I only see the S-150-12. I was under the impression we need a 24V model. Also, since I'm probably going to use both RD-30's (if I can fit them in. If not, it goes into another system then), I'll need one that can support more amps. The RD-30's have a 10A draw on startup. Can't turn on both pumps at the same time without possibly damaging the PSU. You could probably get away with it by staggering the pump startup but that just seems like a lot more work than I'm willing to put in (I've spent the past 2 months working on this thing a lil bit each night and I just want to get it done already). I'd rather just get a 320-24 that can support both at the same time without worrying much.

However, I just want to get the damn thing up. So if anyone knows a place where I can get a meanwell 150-24 or 320-24. Please link!

Frostbyte
05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
However, I just want to get the damn thing up. So if anyone knows a place where I can get a meanwell 150-24 or 320-24. Please link!

Here is where I got mine:

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/sp-150-24.shtml?c1=ppc&source=google&kw=sp-150-24

Petra
05-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Here is where I got mine:

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/sp-150-24.shtml?c1=ppc&source=google&kw=sp-150-24

TRC also carries the S-320-24

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-17-2007, 05:17 PM
they also have the 240 w which is perfect for the rd-30 from what i understand from reading this thread, 10A @ 24v

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/power-supplies-s240.shtml

ranker
05-17-2007, 06:22 PM
they also have the 240 w which is perfect for the rd-30 from what i understand from reading this thread, 10A @ 24v

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/power-supplies-s240.shtml

That's true. However, I'm looking to power 2 RD-30's (if space permits, I'll find out monday). That will require a 20A for the amp spike upon start up for 2 RD-30's. It's disappointing that even the 320 only has a 13A max current.

Petra, will this be fine?

Anyhow, if for spacial reasons I can't fit 2 RD-30's in my U2, I'll probably get the S-240-24V model instead.

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-17-2007, 06:53 PM
if you want to hook in parallel you are going to need the 480 watter not the 320, that is definitely the min... 20 x 24 = 480 (parallel) and 10 x 48 =480 (series), no avoiding it :\

ranker
05-17-2007, 07:04 PM
if you want to hook in parallel you are going to need the 480 watter not the 320, that is definitely the min... 20 x 24 = 480 (parallel) and 10 x 48 =480 (series), no avoiding it :\

So, I take it that these PSU's are the simple plug and play type like regular PSUs since I have no idea what you just said. :confused:

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-17-2007, 07:09 PM
So, I take it that these PSU's are the simple plug and play type like regular PSUs since I have no idea what you just said. :confused:

i think you have to do some sort of plug setup, ive never used the PSU's, but I do know my electronics... what i am saying is that if you do want to hook up both of the to one you need a minimum of the 480w meanwell

ranker
05-17-2007, 07:28 PM
i think you have to do some sort of plug setup, ive never used the PSU's, but I do know my electronics... what i am saying is that if you do want to hook up both of the to one you need a minimum of the 480w meanwell

I didn't mean any disrespect. I just never knew that we had to consider whether to place things in parallel or in series when it comes to power supplies.

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-17-2007, 07:34 PM
I didn't mean any disrespect. I just never knew that we had to consider whether to place things in parallel or in series when it comes to power supplies.

never thought you did mean any disrespect... lol no worries :)

as far as i can tell these are single output PSU's and you really don't need to worry about series or parallel, in fact you should only do parallel (i was kinda thinking out lout before ;)) but either way for 2 you need the 480 and for one you can use the 240 or the 320.

Petra
05-17-2007, 07:41 PM

I'm pretty positive that the ratings they're giving are continuous, not peak... and, in this case, it's only the max peak load (and duration sustainable) that matters because the pumps aren't going to draw more than 2-3A each after they've been started (this is why the S-150-24 doesn't have any issues with running one RD-30). The trouble is, however, that the spec sheets on Meanwell's website don't seem to list peak load information.

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-17-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty positive that the ratings they're giving are continuous, not peak... and, in this case, it's only the max peak load (and duration sustainable) that matters because the pumps aren't going to draw more than 2-3A each after they've been started (this is why the S-150-24 doesn't have any issues with running one RD-30). The trouble is, however, that the spec sheets on Meanwell's website don't seem to list peak load information.

ooh i c, so there is inconsistent info, i never considered that one... i would still go with the 240 for one to be safe ;)

SiGfever
05-17-2007, 07:59 PM
If you were to get a DCV TDR (Time Delay Relay) you could stagger the startup inrush current and probably handle both pumps off of one Meanwell. All you would need is about a 5 sec delay.

I will eventually get a RD-20 and run it at full volts to replace my DDC-2. I just do not trust this pump for unattended service.

ranker
05-17-2007, 08:49 PM

Does this address the wattage concerns that Snipe Dogg brought up?

ranker
05-18-2007, 02:13 AM
By the way, when we adjust voltage, is there a method to do so on the pump or is it done by the power supply itself? If its by the PSU, then there's going to be some problems since the S-240-24 and the S-320-24 have a voltage adjust range of only 20V-28V... which means I can't undervolt the PSU to 18V. Now if this is controllable by some means on the pump, then that's a whole another story.

Also, I imagine that I won't be able to monitor the rpm's of the pump with my bigNG as well right?

Paraglider
05-18-2007, 03:26 AM
If you look at the reports at www.meanwell.com it looks like the s210-24 has the better lower voltage.

http://www.meanwell.com/search/S-210/default.htm ( 17.75 - 27.72 )

http://www.meanwell.com/search/S-240/default.htm ( 19.95V - 33.78 )

I still think that if you want to run around 18v that one of the 15v power supplies may be better:

S210-15: 12.47 - 19.03
S240-15: 10.32V -19.50

Is 6v below rated voltage better than 3v above?

IanY
05-18-2007, 05:42 AM

Naekuh,

You are making the assumption that I have been using a typical dual DDC+ setup, which I haven't. The performance hit from unplugging one pump is.. that pump only. There's no obstuction if one pump is removed in my setup.

And how do you KNOW that Iwaki's won't ever fail ?!?

Gyrfalcon
05-18-2007, 06:00 AM
good source of power supplies

Jameco Electronics (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=196656)

You also need to consider that the average household electrical outlet can only supply 15A and the 320 has an inrush current of 20A. If you boot your computer and the pump at the same time you very likely will blow your breaker. Also most modern homes only have a 20A service to each room, and often times multiple rooms share the same 20A service. Only room that is different is the kitchen, it is required to have two (2) seperate 20A services according to modern electrical code.

IanY
05-18-2007, 06:54 AM
This seems way too convoluted for my tastes. I really shouldn't be this judgmental, but the idea that just one PSU has a 20A current draw at startup is ridiculous.

SiGfever
05-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Another good source for Meanwell PS...

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/s-150-24.shtml

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/sp-150-24.shtml

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/s-320-24.shtml

But check-out the "Data Sheets" on each for the "Adjustable Voltage Range".

sanhacker
05-18-2007, 08:31 AM
You also need to consider that the average household electrical outlet can only supply 15A and the 320 has an inrush current of 20A. If you boot your computer and the pump at the same time you very likely will blow your breaker. Also most modern homes only have a 20A service to each room, and often times multiple rooms share the same 20A service. Only room that is different is the kitchen, it is required to have two (2) seperate 20A services according to modern electrical code.

Good point. Sounds like a sub panel in your computer room.
I think we are now in the realm of most Xtreme!

Polizei
05-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Hey petra, I have an idea. YOU build the converters ;) j/k I'd actually be glad to build some...bleh that's just cuz I have too much time anyways. My plan is to study all this magnetism, induction, and all that crap with the calculus and numbers and everything, so I can build a DC/DC converter for my adventures I'm planning as well as...cough...multistage coilgun...cough?

Its not that hard to build a voltage doubler... just a couple transisitors and resistors. You could put a *rather* large pot or rheostat in there before one of the outputs for you to adjust the voltage... that way you can run it off of one of the spare PSU's you have. Ill see what I can do as far as scanning some images from my electrical engineering text books for you. Maybe Ill just draw them in paint.

serialk11r
05-18-2007, 03:12 PM
good source of power supplies

Jameco Electronics (http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=196656)

Uh, WHAT?????????
The pump pulls 10A @ 24V from the PSU, but the PSU pulls a little more than 2A @120V from the socket...

Remember, the pump draws 10A only for extremely short periods of time. Remember also that PSUs can supply MORE than their max rated continuous output for a short period of time. 320 is good enough for 2 pumps. In fact you probably can get away with less than that.

Polzei, transistors and caps only? what?
You need diodes, transistor, capacitor, an inductor (this is what I'm talking about when I have to go study all the physics crap...) and a circuit that will make the transistor switch on and off. To adjust the voltage I think you adjust the frequency at which the switch operates.

Jimmer411
05-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I still dont get why you need 2 pumps for redundancy incase 1 pump fails. Why not enable the high temperature shutdown feature in the bios? Mine is set at 55C IIRC, and even on 90 degree days I havent seen higher than 53C at 100% load.

Ive been running a Mag3 pump for close to 2 years, never had a problem. Sure every now and then I have to tap the pump when I plug it in to get it going, but being and AC pump I only have to do that if I physically unplug it myself or I move. Both of which dont happen that often, and in the even of a power outage my computer does not automatically start up (tho there is a setting in the bios that allows this). So either way, if pump dies and computer hits 55C then it turns off, and I cant think of a single system that isnt a perfectly acceptable temperature.

Ive been considering purchasing a DDC, but Im still wondering what kind affect that will have on my system temps in general. Not to mention $100 is my absolute limit for a pump, no way in hell I would pay 200-300 for a pump unless it offered some miracle 10C lower temps than the current offering.

ranker
05-18-2007, 09:49 PM
I pulled the trigger on the 320-24 and the 240-15. I'll see how well they work out and report back to you guys. Does the PSU come with well written instructions? I hear there's wiring to be done.

Polizei
05-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Uh, WHAT?????????
The pump pulls 10A @ 24V from the PSU, but the PSU pulls a little more than 2A @120V from the socket...

Remember, the pump draws 10A only for extremely short periods of time. Remember also that PSUs can supply MORE than their max rated continuous output for a short period of time. 320 is good enough for 2 pumps. In fact you probably can get away with less than that.

Polzei, transistors and caps only? what?
You need diodes, transistor, capacitor, an inductor (this is what I'm talking about when I have to go study all the physics crap...) and a circuit that will make the transistor switch on and off. To adjust the voltage I think you adjust the frequency at which the switch operates.

Transistors arent only switches... you can use them as amplifiers.

You only need transistors and resistors if your original supply is DC, which would be a DC/DC voltage doubler that you could use with your current computer power supply.

Yes, you need an inductor (or 2 for a transformer ;) ), a bridge rectifier (converts AC to DC) and then a bunch of caps to minimize the DC ripple, and thennnnn you need a pot/rheostat, resistors, and transistors to create the voltage regulator.

As I typed this out... transistors as amplifiers only magnify amps... they dont increase voltage. A DC voltage doubler would only need caps and some diodes IIRC... still looking for my book in all my college crap.

Physics wont really teach you much about electricity and electrical theory until you get into Physics II or whatever the second part is for you, and even then, it will still be very basic. You professor will probably make some relation of volts and amps to water, saying volts is the "same as" PSI and amps is the "same as" GPM. Until you take some more indepth electrical theory/engineering classes will you learn how to design circuits like you want to, unless you read up and teach yourself a bunch, which is not as easy as people want it to be.

Ill get those pictues up sometime tomorrow.