PDA

View Full Version : I am the first to do a "I fried me a 2200+" thread :P

sysfailur
06-29-2002, 10:23 PM
As the topic states... I had a bit of a really weird thing happen to me. And I mean REALLY weird.

Tonight I was planning on taking off the wanky heatsink I have on now and putting on my 226w pelt + watercooling and chipset water/pelt cooling... that was all find and dandy but...

I removed the heatsink as I always do, I was going for the proc and I think I brushed the mobo or a pci card or _something_ and the freaking computer started up!!! I panicked and quickly turned off the psu, but the next boot, I didn't get anything from the Tbred so I think it's dead. I mean, it was less than 1.5seconds, but that thing gets so insanely hot so fast...

I know I know before you guys start flaming, I should've turned off the god forsaken powersupply :\

At least when I RMA it I'll be getting a newer processor! :) I still plan on testing my Duron 1.3 tonight which works the last time I tried it and just make sure everything but the Tbred is working ;)

Let's see... this is my 5th crisped proc :\

JBELL
06-29-2002, 10:30 PM
*lights a candle and says a prayer*

Malecky
06-30-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by sysfailur
As the topic states... I had a bit of a really weird thing happen to me. And I mean REALLY weird.

Tonight I was planning on taking off the wanky heatsink I have on now and putting on my 226w pelt + watercooling and chipset water/pelt cooling... that was all find and dandy but...

I removed the heatsink as I always do, I was going for the proc and I think I brushed the mobo or a pci card or _something_ and the freaking computer started up!!! I panicked and quickly turned off the psu, but the next boot, I didn't get anything from the Tbred so I think it's dead. I mean, it was less than 1.5seconds, but that thing gets so insanely hot so fast...

I know I know before you guys start flaming, I should've turned off the god forsaken powersupply :\

At least when I RMA it I'll be getting a newer processor! :) I still plan on testing my Duron 1.3 tonight which works the last time I tried it and just make sure everything but the Tbred is working ;)

Damn sys I feel for ya mate..... you know why?

I busted my 1600+ that does 1950mhz with some H2O yesterday. I am so damn pissed, but you guys fry Tbreads:eek:

I am outta cash, broke again but will still buy a good 1600+ and a GF4 but to get this stuff here is a pain in the ass.

Well how I did it? I was testing some heatsinks for a Slovenian HW site and I tried to use a shim for the AX7 (never seen such a HSF in my life almost, wicked) I used the shim which I never used before I put it on correctly but WHY THE F...... was somethnig smelling so bad:mad:

I broke it appart it looked all OK but the CPU had burned AS3 on it and NO contact with the mighty AX7. There goes hapyiness

:toast:

Neptune5k
06-30-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by sysfailur

Pffft.... that's it?! ;)

Good luck with your new one.

MrIcee
06-30-2002, 07:35 AM
Sys:)

Sorry to hear about your misfortune...it does really suck...been there and done that before. The only advice I can offer is this: Don't just turn off the PSU....pull the plug out of it. I still do this everyday after I'm finished and heres why.....no matter what board I've owned since my KG7....even the KX7...for whatever reason the things will "ghost boot" or fire up for no reason. When this happens in the middle of the night or when you away from home and there is no pump running in your cooling system...you're all done. I was lucky one time that it fired up and ran for an hour before I caught it. It had got so hot that it melted the hoses on my Swiftech waterblock:) Luckily after taking it apart and fixing it up it fired back up lke a champ.

So pull that plug:)

Randi :D

CSHawkeye81
06-30-2002, 08:48 AM
that honestly sucks man hope you get a good chip when you get it back from rma.

Chong345
06-30-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Malecky

Damn sys I feel for ya mate..... you know why?

I busted my 1600+ that does 1950mhz with some H2O yesterday. I am so damn pissed, but you guys fry Tbreads:eek:

I am outta cash, broke again but will still buy a good 1600+ and a GF4 but to get this stuff here is a pain in the ass.

Well how I did it? I was testing some heatsinks for a Slovenian HW site and I tried to use a shim for the AX7 (never seen such a HSF in my life almost, wicked) I used the shim which I never used before I put it on correctly but WHY THE F...... was somethnig smelling so bad:mad:

I broke it appart it looked all OK but the CPU had burned AS3 on it and NO contact with the mighty AX7. There goes hapyiness

:toast:

I had the same problem with the ax-7. IT fried my xp2000. I filed a huge complaint with thermalright saying that the hsf was defective and that there was no way it could seat on the cpu correctly. They cut me a check for 191.00. Pretty sweet of them after they didn't return my e-mail for a couple of weeks.

Malecky
06-30-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Chong345

I had the same problem with the ax-7. IT fried my xp2000. I filed a huge complaint with thermalright saying that the hsf was defective and that there was no way it could seat on the cpu correctly. They cut me a check for 191.00. Pretty sweet of them after they didn't return my e-mail for a couple of weeks.

Wicked dude.... but I dont think I could be that lucky:p

Emmm I still think I screwed up.... but I still dont know how becouse the shim was put on 100% OK... Oh well...

CPUs..............eh they still make em dont they

:banana:

Chong345
06-30-2002, 01:01 PM
Well actually the clip on mine was backwards. They said that it should still work properly. So I had to mount the hsf on with the backwards clip. I didn't turn the hsf the wrong way. I seated it like it normally would. Then I had to call thermalright and complain and argue with some guy who was really rude. Then I had to e-mail him to he could forward the lett to Taiwan. Then they the people in Taiwan started e-mailing me personally so I didn't have to deal with all the other people. Anyway since I had the same problem I would just try it. I have read about other cases where the same thing occured. Mine too was not making contact with the core.

RichBa5tard
06-30-2002, 01:04 PM
Damn sorry to hear that m8 :(

I've experienced a few "ghost boots" myself, so I usually does as Mr.Icee suggests: pull the plug to be safe. :)

I've played around with +10 AMD chips and never fried/chiped one. => /me luckyBa5tard :D

OPPAINTER
06-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Sysfailur, silly accident I have to admit. Thats a bummer my friend.

On the other hand Congrads on being the First:D:toast:

OPP

sysfailur
06-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Neptune5k

Pffft.... that's it?! ;)

Good luck with your new one.

I always seem to fry the newest AMD procs too, whichever they may be :P I'm just glad I have a 1yr warranty on this beast. I might even wait a bit until I hear word of new 2200+ steppings on newegg to RMA it.

KnightElite
06-30-2002, 02:45 PM
That sucks for you, but at least you might get a better one next time. I've so far put together probably more than 300 systems with AMD CPUs, and never fried/chipped a single one. I came close to frying mine once though, I had my CAK-38 on backwards for 2 weeks, and I kept wondering why the temps were so high :rolleyes:

BorgBob
06-30-2002, 03:10 PM
Hit 90C with a T-bird one time, but it didn't seem to hurt it. Scared heck outta me though!

Thank goodness I was sitting at the machine. I'm think MBM set up to shut things down at about 80C might not be a bad idea.

ZhaoYun
06-30-2002, 07:29 PM
That sucks m8. :(

LORD
06-30-2002, 11:38 PM
Sorry for the loss, m8. :(

TRy and look on the bright side. The chip may have decided to go to cpu heaven as all good ones do, just so you may get a far better one.:)

Malecky
07-01-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by BorgBob
Hit 90C with a T-bird one time, but it didn't seem to hurt it. Scared heck outta me though!

Thank goodness I was sitting at the machine. I'm think MBM set up to shut things down at about 80C might not be a bad idea.

huh 90°C? I beat you with that I hit 112°C with my Duron 600, I forgot to turn on the water pump:o

It almost melted my Plexi glass on the H2O block while I was was watching a divx. The funny thing was I was so damn pissed when my computer locked while watchin a Divx and then I restart aand WinXP did not boot, tried a few times and finaly got to WinxP and then I see the MBM5 readout:confused:

Another AMD tale to tell: We were at a lan party and I forgot to plugin the power connector of my friend Dragon orb! He was playing Quake for like a hour or so in a room that had 35°C and a Tbird 1400 on it...

When a little idle it read 70°C, if that chip was not dead..... I dont know I think it should have been.

sysfailur
07-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by LORD
Sorry for the loss, m8. :(

TRy and look on the bright side. The chip may have decided to go to cpu heaven as all good ones do, just so you may get a far better one.:)

Hehe, that's certainly one way of looking at it!

Dramen
07-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Sorry sysfailur, that's tough luck. I know what it's like to get a spontaneous bootup, really freaky thing. After that I started doing what MrIcee pointed out. But lately I have gotten lazy and stopped unplugging, so this is a good reminder!!

dmitriyaz
07-08-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Dramen
But lately I have gotten lazy and stopped unplugging, so this is a good reminder!!
yeah, same here,
sys, man, im sorry too for your loss.
i never fried a cpu, and was never close to it. but those ghost boot-ups still give me cold sweat. i usually have those when i plug/unplug the power from a harddrive or a CD-ROM.

sysfailur
07-08-2002, 01:00 AM
I see you found the thread :P :banana:

dmitriyaz
07-08-2002, 11:28 AM
hey sys, dont laugh at me,
but i read this thread at like 1 oclock at night, wrote the reply, and went to sleep.
and i dreamed about how i am at a LAN party, and i see you there, and your Tbred is working, and i am kind of jelous because i can't afford one... :)