PDA

View Full Version : Not entirely sure what happened 2GBHZ up in smoke

Spazilton
05-14-2007, 07:52 PM
Long story short, One of my sticks of 2GBHZ and my Bad Axe 2 are up in smoke. It had been working fine for weeks, and I decide to install Vista 64 while it is sitting on the bench redoing my cabling.

Vista Installed, and I go to load drivers and I hear a sizzle and see smoke coming out of one of my Ram Slots. 2 seconds to pull power cord.

End result, My BX2 is gone, and so is one out of the 2 sticks in my kit. Not sure about second stick yet.

2 of the gold fingers on the ram are gone. What could of caused this. This was the rig I was setting up to use as a HTPC. Ram was set at 2.28 (Rated 2.2-2.3)

Question is, I can't say weather or not it was the ram that went, bad taking the MB with it, or the other way around.

After looking at Gskills RMA policy it would seem I am completly screwed, becuase the contacts smoked and its considered physical damage.

I work in a RMA department for a Major Communications manufacturer, and honestly I see electronics go up in smoke all the time.

I just honestly do not see how I could of done anything to cause this to happen.

Is there anything you guys can do to help me? I just paid over $300 for this Ram back in Febuary, and just ordered another Gskill 4GB kit today actually..

GSKILL TECH
05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Long story short, One of my sticks of 2GBHZ and my Bad Axe 2 are up in smoke. It had been working fine for weeks, and I decide to install Vista 64 while it is sitting on the bench redoing my cabling.

Vista Installed, and I go to load drivers and I hear a sizzle and see smoke coming out of one of my Ram Slots. 2 seconds to pull power cord.

End result, My BX2 is gone, and so is one out of the 2 sticks in my kit. Not sure about second stick yet.

2 of the gold fingers on the ram are gone. What could of caused this. This was the rig I was setting up to use as a HTPC. Ram was set at 2.28 (Rated 2.2-2.3)

Question is, I can't say weather or not it was the ram that went, bad taking the MB with it, or the other way around.

After looking at Gskills RMA policy it would seem I am completly screwed, becuase the contacts smoked and its considered physical damage.

I work in a RMA department for a Major Communications manufacturer, and honestly I see electronics go up in smoke all the time.

I just honestly do not see how I could of done anything to cause this to happen.

Is there anything you guys can do to help me? I just paid over $300 for this Ram back in Febuary, and just ordered another Gskill 4GB kit today actually..

if pin burn.... i can't do anything to it.

sorry