PDA

View Full Version : DDC w/ Petra's top or D5?

Baleful
05-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Both of these are pretty popular pumps, but which one is the best? In my situation, i'll have two seperate loops: 1st loop: 1 Thermochill PA120.3 and D-Tek Fuzion CPU, 2nd loop: 1 Thermochill PA120.3 and two D-Tek Fuzion GFX GPU's for my 8800 GTX's in SLI. (2nd loops will come later, right now it's just gonna be the 1st loop) I'm looking for performance/reliability. I don't really like the Iwaki's b/c of the fact that you have to have a seperate PSU. Thanks for the input guys.

Solarfall
05-14-2007, 11:56 AM
really a no brainier.. DDC w/ Petra's top is the best one from those two.. personally have both of those bumps in my WC system. so i know what i'm talking about.
D-5 is not a bad pump, far from it. it's just that ddc out performs it in pretty much every aspect.

ranker
05-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Both of these are pretty popular pumps, but which one is the best? In my situation, i'll have two seperate loops: 1st loop: 1 Thermochill PA120.3 and D-Tek Fuzion CPU, 2nd loop: 1 Thermochill PA120.3 and two D-Tek Fuzion GFX GPU's for my 8800 GTX's in SLI. (2nd loops will come later, right now it's just gonna be the 1st loop) I'm looking for performance/reliability. I don't really like the Iwaki's b/c of the fact that you have to have a seperate PSU. Thanks for the input guys.

DDC-2 is the better performer. However, if you're going with two loops and since you're using waterblocks that aren't dependent on flowrate, you'd be able to get away with using a D5 without much of a performance hit.

I'd still go with the DDC-2, but I could see reason to use a D5.

_G_
05-14-2007, 01:02 PM
how about 2 ddc's in series and just go with 1 big loop with all the parts?

IanY
05-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Or how about two DDC+s in each loop, for four DDC+s ? heh

Baleful
05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for info guys. I was leaning towards the D5, but after seeing the heatdump it has I started questioning it. More than likely i'll be going with the DDC-2 w/ Petra's. On a side note ranker, how do you like that PSU? I'm trying to decide between that and the TT Toughpower 850.

Baleful
05-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Or how about two DDC+s in each loop, for four DDC+s ? heh

I will definately do that on down the road when I have the cash, but how do you set your loop up w/ mult. pumps? Do you place one after the other?

ex. Res>DDC-2>DDC-2>Rad>Block ??

Thanks for the help guys

ranker
05-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I will definately do that on down the road when I have the cash, but how do you set your loop up w/ mult. pumps? Do you place one after the other?

Thanks for the help guys

I like it better than all other PSU's I've used including the PCP&C 1K. This thing generates no noise and its not as long as the 1 kilowatt model. Since nothing really uses more than 500W these days, I'm happy with this PSU.

The only cons are: 1) The cables are half sleeved 2) the molex connectors are white. I had to spend 2 hours fully sleeving and swapping out all molex connector's to a black color.

Circaflex
05-14-2007, 02:19 PM
only thing that worries me is the reliability of a ddc-2

Grinch
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I would'nt be worried at all..

Snyxxx
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
I had the D5 and then got the DDC-2 with a petra top. With the ever restrictive storm waterblock, the DDC-2 outperformed the D5 in a big way from a flow rate point of view. My totally unscientific judging method was the velocity of water entering my resevoir from each pump with the same identical loop. The D5 water dribbled into the reservoir, where the DDC-2 rushed violently into the reservoir. I was really shocked at the difference in flow. I knew the head pressure was better, but wow. Yes, the D5 was on the highest setting of 5.

I am not that worried about the reliability of the DDC-2. To me, what is the worst case scenario - the pump fails and the computer reaches the "turn-off" temperature set in the bios. I do not worry that it will fry anything. It would be a hassle though.

JoeBar
05-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I would'nt be worried at all..
Me too...

IanY
05-15-2007, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys

Precisely. Correct.

Do not be misled by the supposed "25W" heatdump of the D5. Most of the heat is expelled off the back and not into the water loop. The very same people making a big hoopla about the supposed heatdump on the D5 are the exact same people who rush out and buy Iwaki RD30s with a larger heatdump. Can you say hypocrite ? Not saying that the D5 is a better pump. Just take things in perspective.

yankee
05-15-2007, 02:24 PM
How do these pumps compare as far as noise?

Grinch
05-15-2007, 02:35 PM
How do these pumps compare as far as noise?

My D5 is louder than my petra pump...:woot:

yankee
05-15-2007, 02:45 PM
yes, very :woot:
also, i would like to add a :banana:

jabski
05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
there is a good thread about the pump war here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=141080

Here is the important bit

Here's my perspective.

For silence, you need to buy the D5. Period.

For a complicated loop with a lot of blocks, you should buy a DDC+/top because it provides superior pressure.

For a loop with one unrestrictive block, a D5 would perform better I believe.

For reliability, its a toss up, and I really do think that the D5 is more reliable.

For the industrial chic look, of course buy the D5

For the modern space saving look, the D5 looks like a dinosaur and you should buy the DDC+/top. Nothing looks nicer than Petra's Delrin top. For bling, the Alphacool top can come with a led, and it can include a snazzy reservoir as well.

Me personally? I use D5 in my family's PCs because space is not an issue and because my quest is for silence. For my own convoluted loops, I stick to DDC+/tops for high performance, but I double them up for redundancy. I do like D5s very much.

Pinmod
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
back when i actually properly leak tested for 24+ hours (now i just slap it together and go) I let a d5 run for about 2 hours - loop was

d5 - bip2 (fans off) - apogee - maze4 gpu - back to pump

i went out into the garage where it was leak test and picked up the maze4gpu. i touched the metal and it was too hot for me to keep my finger on it - i was really surprised

flipped the fans on for the bip2 and the block became cold to the touch like metal does at room temperature

d5- heat dump no doubt

but i still use and love it :)

Pinmod
05-15-2007, 03:07 PM
is there any data on how petra's top performs compared to this one?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=125&products_id=4510

Grinch
05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
is there any data on how petra's top performs compared to this one?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=125&products_id=4510

why bother...petras top is the best...:woot: :toast:

Pinmod
05-15-2007, 04:15 PM
cause i might be able to get it in a trade

Pinmod
05-15-2007, 04:16 PM
plus how do you know petras is the best?

is there any data on the top linked?

Petra
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM

My original pump testing thread (comparing my prototype to other tops): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117215

My most recent testing thread with performance curves and power consumption (data for DDC-3.2 pumps and the DDCT-01s top included): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137484

Both of these links can be found on product pages on our site (the XS search button should have also found these :rolleyes: ). Granted, the testing wasn't done with the Alphacool reservoir top, but I'd expect performance to be comparable (if not, slightly diminished).

Grinch
05-15-2007, 04:34 PM

done.

My original pump testing thread (comparing my prototype to other tops): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117215

My most recent testing thread with performance curves and power consumption (data for DDC-3.2 pumps and the DDCT-01s top included): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137484

Both of these links can be found on product pages on our site (the XS search button should have also found these :rolleyes: ). Granted, the testing wasn't done with the Alphacool reservoir top, but I'd expect performance to be comparable (if not, slightly diminished).

was going to look for that link....:toast: :woot:

Anemone
05-15-2007, 04:44 PM
went dual pumps single loop myself

ddc2's

Pinmod
05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
so no actual data on the tank top but you figure it's about the same then

right-o

thanks

ranker
05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Since when were D5's quieter than DDC's? Both sound the same to me with respect to loudness. The only difference I can tell is the rhythm.

Petra
05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I actually find the D5 (on setting "5"...or just running normally, for all you D5 Basic users) to be louder than the DDC-2. I dunno if it's just me or what, but the high frequency whine that it makes really carries (and is quite annoying).

Eh, to each his own, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Grinch
05-16-2007, 06:08 AM
I actually find the D5 (on setting "5"...or just running normally, for all you D5 Basic users) to be louder than the DDC-2. I dunno if it's just me or what, but the high frequency whine that it makes really carries (and is quite annoying).

Eh, to each his own, I suppose. :rolleyes:

I agree 100%
My DDC-2 with your top is ALOT quieter..:toast:

Pinmod
05-16-2007, 06:24 AM
man i can imagine a lot quieter than my d5 - although i do run it turned down a bit

the ddc w/ petra's top must be almost completely silent

hecktic
05-25-2007, 01:32 AM
im going to buy 2 MCP655s and 2 PTS TOP w/ MCP355

septim
05-25-2007, 03:06 AM
you know you could make your pump last longer by limiting the # of times you power on/off your pc...

hecktic
05-25-2007, 06:22 AM
you know you could make your pump last longer by limiting the # of times you power on/off your pc...

Really? why is that?

septim
05-25-2007, 07:17 AM
because there is that initial startup amps that a pump needs to start.
this is usually more amps at first gradually going to usual operating amps.
now limiting the # of times you supply startup amps will help lengthen your pump life.

this can also be seen with todays flourescent tubes (for those countries still using them) the more times you power on/off them, the faster they expire.
but leave a flourescent on for most of the work day and they tend to last a long long time.

hecktic
05-25-2007, 07:58 AM
that makes a lot of sense now that I think about it like that... well what about a pump relay switch to manually turn on or off the pump ... does this hurt the life of the pump ?

eXceeded
05-25-2007, 08:25 AM
because there is that initial startup amps that a pump needs to start.
this is usually more amps at first gradually going to usual operating amps.
now limiting the # of times you supply startup amps will help lengthen your pump life.

this can also be seen with todays flourescent tubes (for those countries still using them) the more times you power on/off them, the faster they expire.
but leave a flourescent on for most of the work day and they tend to last a long long time.

well that's not going to happen on my DQ6, basically any changes in the bios results in some form of reboot cycle for about 2-5 times depending on its mood. I'm sure thats really really good for all my components!
(PS I hate my motherboard/CPU)