PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

forkus
05-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Hey All,

I am starting a little project of planning to mount my MCR320 in the roof of my Stacker 810.

Now i need some opinions on what would be best, having my fans (http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1blle.html) pushing or pulling?

At the moment they dont have a shroud, would a shroud also help?

And there is another option, a few people I know locally (Aus) here are planning a group buy of PA's from Petras as they shipping will be cheaper. Would i better off be getting:

PA120.3
PA120.3 Shroud
3x Fans (http://www.petrastechshop.com/12yalod1cafa1.html)

Just to get your head around it, I currently have the following running in my rig:

E4300 @ 3.2Ghz
2GB DDR2-800
Gigabyte 965P-DS3P

Apogee (Non GT)
Eheim 1250
MCR320
Tundra Res

any help would be great

Cheers

forkus

L'enFer
05-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Would i better off be getting:

PA120.3
PA120.3 Shroud
3x Fans
PA120.3 would be much better than MCR-320.

ziddey
05-13-2007, 01:37 AM
People tend to say that pulling is ever so slightly better than pushing, although differences aren't anything major. Also, it's said that pulling would be quieter than pushing. However, I wonder what if you just mounted it so that the fans are in the inner most part of the case. Would it be quieter, even if that meant push?

Jedda
05-13-2007, 01:52 AM
That bulk buy is a good idea.
Get the Thermochill for less than the BI GTX Extremes are selling for in Oz.

septim
05-13-2007, 05:15 AM
a PA120.3 is the king, so long as you can fit it in your case...

*the PA shroud is really optional, for those wanting to get the most performance from their radiator and really undervolted yate loons on pull side only...

forkus: have you considered changing cpu block and pump to better models?

forkus
05-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies :)

a PA120.3 is the king, so long as you can fit it in your case...

*the PA shroud is really optional, for those wanting to get the most performance from their radiator and really undervolted yate loons on pull side only...

forkus: have you considered changing cpu block and pump to better models?

Yeah I have considered changing the block and pump and will do so once I get a few other things sorted first. At the moment its doing what its spose to :rolleyes:

septim
05-13-2007, 07:44 PM
gud luck, and pose some pics when you get started.
btw, welcome to XtremeSystems Liquid Cooling

[cTx] Nooc
05-13-2007, 08:35 PM
mounting a rad in front of Stacker 810?

this video will surely help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEDPWVLY3Ks

:toast:

Pinmod
05-14-2007, 06:31 AM
man i wish the PA rads weren't so dang expensive ... they are like 200% more than a black ice pro

i'm guessing that it's not 200% better

what makes it so much better anyway?

septim
05-14-2007, 07:37 AM
more inches to help cool better and that it is very very unrestrictive rad, you could like put 2 in series and still come out better than the competition...

only downside is its thicker and sometimes complainable paint job...

Starkiller42
05-14-2007, 08:17 AM
I've seen a test in which the PA's, Black Ice, and MCR rads were all tested under controlled conditions. The PA's won, but the margin of victory was never more than like 1.4*C, with the MCR rad's often taking second (at various fan speeds). For that kind of money savings, I would just go with the MCR-320. Any performance difference will be completely negligible.

Found the link:

http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=17958

Sparky
05-14-2007, 08:23 AM
more inches to help cool better and that it is very very unrestrictive rad, you could like put 2 in series and still come out better than the competition...

only downside is its thicker and sometimes complainable paint job...

Exactly, that extra thickness prevented me from using one in my case :(

Pinmod
05-14-2007, 08:34 AM
hum... doesn't seem to be worth the huge extra cost to me

Jedda
05-14-2007, 01:12 PM
hum... doesn't seem to be worth the huge extra cost to me

What huge extra cost?
They're actually quite well priced. You just happen to live in the wrong place and are encountering the extra cost of international shipping and a weak domestic currency.
I'm buying a Thermochill 120.3 atm for less than the 120.2 (note .2) BI GTX 240 retails in my country. I'm paying the same as retail for the Black Ice Xtreme 3 before delivery is added to the BI figure. So $15 - $20 less at my front door than the Black Ice Xtreme 3.
I am, however, paying $40 more than a Radical 120.3. So the Radical must be best? But the Radical would cost you S50US delivery, so suddenly it's the worst again on your US-centric, price based evaluation?
Please, let's try to contribute more than one line rejections of a product based on nothing but your own location and a failure to explore alternative sourcing options.
For me the Thermochill is the market leader on price and Performance. You've just got to be a little creative about dealing with shipping charges.

Pinmod
05-15-2007, 04:05 AM
yea they are like $120 in the U.S.

got by black ice pro III last year for $30