PDA

View Full Version : OCZ ram and Asus Overclock Problems

harvshark
05-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Has anybody ever gotten to the bottom of the problem with overclocked Asus mobos refusing to boot after a crash? Have seen some really crazy things happen.
Will boot with one stick of ram, but not two.
Will boot with this stick of ram, but not that.
And what the heck can get corrupted in a stick of ram that causes it to not boot, but if you let the darn thing sit unused for a couple of days it is fine again??
I am not saying this is an OCZ only problem, but it's all I use.
I may be crazy, but the problem can go with the ram. I have 8 rigs running here, and sometimes if you take a stick of ram from a rig that has crashed and refuses to boot and try it in another rig, it won't boot there either. But if you let the thing sit unused for a day or 2, it works again.
Am I nuts, or can OCZ shed some light on this???

andyOCZ
05-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Wow, that sounds very odd. I havene't heard of this issue.

What board and mmeory are you running?

harvshark
05-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Wow, that sounds very odd. I havene't heard of this issue.

What board and mmeory are you running?

Running all Asus mobos with Core 2 cpus. Couple of P5W-DH, couple of P5B Deluxe, and one Commando. All have had this happen numerous times. The computer locks up, won't even reboot into bios, and I have to play musical RAM 'till I find a stick of something the mobo happens to like.
These are all OC'd to the hilt, and if you go through the OCing forums, they are filled with no boot problems on these boards when pushed hard. The volts on the ram is 2.4v.
I was just wondering if OCZ had any inkling of what was going on.
I just had one P5W-DH rig today that had been running on one stick of Reaper pc2-8500 for a couple of weeks, locked up, no boot.
Took a stick of Flex pc2-9200 that wouldn't boot a darn thing last week, has been sitting unused since. Plugged it in and presto, it booted. Another odd thing is that when this happens, the boards seem to be willing to boot with 1 stick of ram, but put a second stick of the same ram in, even if the ram has also been sitting around a while, and no boot, take 1 stick out, and it will boot. I just had this happen with the aforementioned P5W-DH rig.

Ad1tya
05-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Happening to me too..

Actually, my P5B Deluxe w/ 1101 BIOS, doesn't boot with my OCZ DDR2-1066 Platinum EPP kit.
I have to use cheapo RAM, boot it up, set 2.2V and boot up again with the OCZ.

All's fine with my P5N32-e SLi though.

andyOCZ
05-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I am going to link RyderOCZ to this thread. Maybe he has some ideas. Dunno, but like I say this is a first for me.

BenchZowner
05-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Never had such problems with my P5W DH Deluxe/P5B Deluxe/Commando/Striker with my latest OCZ DDR Kits ( OCZ 6400 SOE U.E. / 6400 Gold Edition / 9200 Reaper ).

I have faced several non-RAM related problems on the Striker & the P5B Deluxe, but nothing like what you are experiencing.

harvshark
05-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Never had such problems with my P5W DH Deluxe/P5B Deluxe/Commando/Striker with my latest OCZ DDR Kits ( OCZ 6400 SOE U.E. / 6400 Gold Edition / 9200 Reaper ).

I have faced several non-RAM related problems on the Striker & the P5B Deluxe, but nothing like what you are experiencing.

It seems to have something to do with pushing the OC to the max, and maybe also trying for tight timings at that point. If the rig locks up, it gets hard to bring it back. This is not a rare thing if you check the Intel ocing forums.

BenchZowner
05-19-2007, 02:39 PM
I'm way over the limits here, and RAM timings are as tight as they can get.
Nothing like what you face occurred to me.

Angelico_Payne
05-23-2007, 05:36 AM
Anyway I need your opinion on something; I finally found 2 memory modules :

1. OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 / 1066 MHz / Reaper HPC Edition / Dual Channel
- 1066MHz DDR2
EPP 5-5-5-15 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
2 GB(2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit
Unbuffered
OCZ Lifetime Warranty
2.3 Volts
240 Pin DIMM
Reaper HPC Heatsink*
EPP-Ready
2.35V EVP**

and

2. OCZ EL DDR2 PC2-8000 / 1000MHz / Gold Gamer eXtreme / XTC Edition / Dual Channel
- 1000MHz DDR2
CL 5-6-6-15
(CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
2 GB(2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit
Unbuffered
Gold Layered XTC Heatspreader*
Lifetime Warranty
2.1 Volts
240 Pin DIMM
EVP**

Which one is better in your opinion ; I have ASUS P5B-deluxe/wifiap

BenchZowner
05-23-2007, 06:27 AM
Depends on your needs.
If you're into 'heavy' overclocking, or benchmarking, just some overclocking, or no overclocking at all.

Anyways, both kits are using Micron D9GMH chips.

Angelico_Payne
05-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I would have to say some overclocking with tendencie to go into heavy overclocking(but for that i still have to accumulate knowledge about cooling [water, TEC, phase,...] and a bit more about electronics and laws of physics and chemistry that apply here)

Thanks for telling me chip info, i googled it and it seems its a pretty disent chip.

BenchZowner
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Yes, they'll both do fine.
The Reaper have some more chances into clocking better due to higher binning, but that's just luck.

Angelico_Payne
05-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Ok tanx, reaper it is then :)

harvshark
05-25-2007, 05:39 PM
If this hasn't happened to you, it's hard to explain. If it HAS happened to you, it's hard to explain.