PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed in Temps, not sure what to do.

Zidion
05-12-2007, 12:13 PM
I am a little disappointed in my WC setup temps and not sure what to do to improve them. My set up is Asus P5W DH, E6400 @ 3.2, 2gig G.Skill, X1900XT. Vcore is 1.4, Nbridge is 1.6, ram is 2.1. My watercooling consist of (in order of loop) : corsair 500 water cooling unit > swiftech MCR 320 radiator with 6 fans (3 on each side) > CPU block (one that came with unit) > GPU block (danger den one) >back to corsair unit.

On idle my CPU is like 45-48c and with full load in TAT it goes to like 62-63. My GPU is a lot better, its like 36idle, not sure when on full load.

My CPU temp isn't that much better than when I was running Air (scyth ninja), so im not sure what to do. Only thing I can think of is maybe the corsair 500 unit pump isnt strong enough to handle this much, but then again the GPU temp is really good.

Any advice on how to sort this out?

Sideroxylon
05-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Yeah I would say the Corsair unit and cpu block are your weak links.

pplapeu
05-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Unless the PC is outside in the sun and it is 90F outside you are right.
If you have the case totally packed you are compromised and at a dead end unless you inline another rad somewhere. You do not have enough radiator IMHO.

As Corsair thought out the kit it should deliver. You have a cool CPU unOCed and you might not want to back off the OC but you could back it off and see what temps you run. Or as I said above inline another radiator as that will add another 1/2 pint or coolant it could be used passive with no fan. At that do not expect real drama adding another radiator.

You could add two heater cores external for the cost of a radiator of fine quality but the cores would have to be at the same level as the pump as the little pump has no head to speak of. The two cores might hold like a pint and a half of coolant and increase the heatsink.

This is not pretty. I used brute forc in my system. It WILL NOT LAN PARTY!!!! Please refrain for being the 100th person to tell me that.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138100

BTW.....reservior holds close to two gallons of distilled H20 and teaspoon of bleach.

I am a little disappointed in my WC setup temps and not sure what to do to improve them. My set up is Asus P5W DH, E6400 @ 3.2, 2gig G.Skill, X1900XT. Vcore is 1.4, Nbridge is 1.6, ram is 2.1. My watercooling consist of (in order of loop) : corsair 500 water cooling unit > swiftech MCR 320 radiator with 6 fans (3 on each side) > CPU block (one that came with unit) > GPU block (danger den one) >back to corsair unit.

On idle my CPU is like 45-48c and with full load in TAT it goes to like 62-63. My GPU is a lot better, its like 36idle, not sure when on full load.

My CPU temp isn't that much better than when I was running Air (scyth ninja), so im not sure what to do. Only thing I can think of is maybe the corsair 500 unit pump isnt strong enough to handle this much, but then again the GPU temp is really good.

Any advice on how to sort this out?

Hardass
05-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Is this the Nautilus 500? Do you have power on high? Did you take protective film off block?

Zidion
05-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Is this the Nautilus 500? Do you have power on high? Did you take protective film off block?

yes, yes and yes.

This is also all in a MountainMod UFO case with 10 120 fans.

Zidion
05-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Ok I just put my CPU at default speed (2.1ghz) and the temps are 41 idle and 47 full load.

Hardass
05-12-2007, 01:07 PM

The problem could be that you have modified the unit and hooked a 320 rad to it. It very well could be that unit is not designed to push fluid through a unit that size. Did you try unit stock on your setup before modding it?

Zidion
05-12-2007, 01:11 PM
The problem could be that you have modified the unit and hooked a 320 rad to it. It very well could be that unit is not designed to push fluid through a unit that size. Did you try unit stock on your setup before modding it?

Yea. I actually added the 320 later on. No difference in temps when adding it.

Hardass
05-12-2007, 01:14 PM
The main unit is inside or outside case? What is ambient temp? How is contact on cpu?

Zidion
05-12-2007, 01:18 PM
The main unit is inside or outside case? What is ambient temp? How is contact on cpu?

the main unit is outside the case. My room temperature 80f (26.6c). What do you mean contact? How hard is the CPU block pressed up against the cpu?

Hardass
05-12-2007, 01:23 PM
the main unit is outside the case. My room temperature 80f (26.6c). What do you mean contact? How hard is the CPU block pressed up against the cpu?

Yes, have you removed the block to check the contact imprint, to make sure you are working with a block that needs lapping.

Zidion
05-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Yes, have you removed the block to check the contact imprint, to make sure you are working with a block that needs lapping.

Nope I havent. What exactly should I be looking for? To make sure its even?

Hardass
05-12-2007, 01:34 PM
It should have a imprint that matches the cpu, it should also have a even imprint of thermal paste. If you remove it and only half the block has a imprint you have uneven tension, if you see a imprint around edges but the center has no paste or alot less then the edges your block needs lapping to make it flat.

Zidion
05-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Ok i just checked the imprint and it seems to be good and even.

Hardass
05-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I have read a couple reviews on this unit and it is suppose to produce much better temps then you are getting. Even when you had it installed stock configuration. My next step would be to contact mfg and see what they think.

Zidion
05-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I have read a couple reviews on this unit and it is suppose to produce much better temps then you are getting. Even when you had it installed stock configuration. My next step would be to contact mfg and see what they think.

Could it be the termal paste?

I just reapplied it and now my temps are like 50/80....

Hardass
05-12-2007, 02:20 PM
You are putting too much on the cpu. Very thin layer, spread with a razor blade or credit card. Very very thin layer. Do not worry about being able to see parts of the cpu through the paste it does not matter.

serialk11r
05-12-2007, 03:30 PM
The amount of liquid inside the system doesn't matter...
The corsair nautilus is a crappy system, most definitely what's causing the problem. Sell it, buy a new pump, and a new CPU block, and you'll see temps drop. Last time I checked, that thing didn't have a very strong pump :stick:

Frank M
05-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Googled the set... you must be joking, right? Using a "WCing-for-n00bs" set,
then complaining that it's inadequate? Cheap water is worse than good air, you
know that, right? Get a decent pump and cpu-block. If you had all that dough
for those components, why cheap out on cooling?

Zidion
05-12-2007, 03:58 PM
OK. I guess ill just go with a new set up then. Hows this look:

pump: Laing DDC-2 (18W)/Swiftech MCP355 Inline 12V DC Pump
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GT or GTX

and I was thinking a T line instead of a res.

serialk11r
05-12-2007, 04:01 PM

Yup, looks good. T-line, res, there's no big difference...MCRes micro looks nice and is really cheap though :D

Hardass
05-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Googled the set... you must be joking, right? Using a "WCing-for-n00bs" set,
then complaining that it's inadequate? Cheap water is worse than good air, you
know that, right? Get a decent pump and cpu-block. If you had all that dough
for those components, why cheap out on cooling?

Not everyone here is a expert on watercooling like you are sir. It would have been just as easy to recommend to the member to sell and buy better equip, without the sarcastic statements. You once were a noob. Remember?:2cents:

Hardass
05-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Smart move sir. Good luck:toast:

Frank M
05-13-2007, 03:03 AM
Not everyone here is a expert on watercooling like you are sir.

I'm not an expert either, but I read before I buy. There are some very well-made
stickies here with all the necessary info to assemble a good loop.

OTOH, I didn't intend to sound as sarcastic/mean as you think I was.

giorgos th.
05-13-2007, 03:27 AM
same with me....
triple nexxxos rad + 3 12V fans,nexxxos light plexy cpu block,eleven universal gpu block,newjet 1700 l/h pump.the loop goes from rad-cpu-gpu-tank-pump-rad.
with ~30C room temp i`ve got 40C idle - 58-60C load orthos priority 10 at 3420mhz with 1.525Vcore and my GTS is idling at 48C.
how`s that?i`m also a bit disappointed,although i`ve got a great drop from my previous air cooler (Scythe infinity - stock 8800 cooler).

NaeKuh
05-13-2007, 08:59 AM

+1

the corsair uses a DDC original with a 3/8ID barb. I dont think you have enough pressure thoughout the system to give you decient loads.

serialk11r
05-13-2007, 12:30 PM
+1

the corsair uses a DDC original with a 3/8ID barb. I dont think you have enough pressure thoughout the system to give you decient loads.

DDC isn't too bad in terms of pumping power but if I remember correctly, the corsair radiator is one hell of a flow killer :(

Sideroxylon
05-13-2007, 01:07 PM
Could he throw a Petra's top on that pump? Or is that just for the DDC2? And isn't there a mod to make DDC1 into DDC2?

SNiiPE_DoGG
05-13-2007, 01:19 PM
yeah some quick solders and the petras top would fix that DDC up real nice, although i forget where i saw that guide to the mod...

Levish
05-14-2007, 08:45 AM
I'd go with

1. use the nautilus for the gpu
2. get a pump and a cpu block for a cpu only loop with that mcr320
4. ???
5. Profit with the lower temps and super simple tubing runs

Zidion
05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
I'd go with

1. use the nautilus for the gpu
2. get a pump and a cpu block for a cpu only loop with that mcr320
4. ???
5. Profit with the lower temps and super simple tubing runs

Thats actually a good idea. Ill probably end up doing thats, since I doubt many people will want to buy my unit from me anyways, and I already know it lowers my GPU card a lot.

Also, my stuff from petra shipped today :banana: