PDA

View Full Version : p5b dlx wifi-ap, e6400, cannot use non-stock heatsinks.

deltro
05-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Yep, you read it right. I am unable to use anything but the Intel stock heat sink with my motherboard. Doing so results in a No-Post situation. All the lights come on, fans, hard drives spin up, etc. but no post, and no video.

I've only been able to test the Zalman CNPS9500LED, and the Scythe Ninja, and 2 stock heat sinks from Intel. Updating the BIOS did not fix it, using a different processor didn't fix it, removing a stick of ram didn't fix it, removing the mountings on the heatsinks didn't fix it, lifting the heatsinks to alleviate pressure on the motherboard doesn't fix it, and the processor certainly works. This is very aggrivating as I'm sure many of you can imagine. If anyone has any ideas for fixes, please, tell me.

buffbiff21
05-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Okay... a method of heat transfer will NOT affect system stability. Sounds to me like a grounding issue.

make sure no odd screws are touching the motherboard in any strange way.

deltro
05-11-2007, 01:29 PM
have checked odd screws, etc, nothing out of the ordinary.

In addition to all the things mentioned in the OP, both coolers worked at some point, the 9500 on another motherboard (p5n32-sli) and the Ninja actually worked for about 2-3 weeks on the P5b, until it just ceased to work with the motherboard at a LAN party, and I was forced to replace the stock heatsink.

mukmaster
05-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Mabe reload the processor or maby even lapp it ??? I am still baffled

deltro
05-11-2007, 08:37 PM
A quite enjoyable problem has arisen recently where my computer BSODs while running moderately graphics intensive games, and sometimes just randomly. It's very fun, even with menial overclocks.

full specs:
Corsair XMS2 2Gigs
C2D e6400 Conroe
Asus P5b deluxe wifi-ap edition 0711 bios
eVGA 8800GTS 640mb

Any help is greatly appreciated, say something if you need more information to help troubleshoot. :(

As an aside, my computer also is extremely sensitive to even minor jolts, where it crashes (ceases responding, closes USB ports) and, when BSODing it typically mentions either usbhid.sys or nv_disp4.dll

ziddey
05-12-2007, 03:27 PM
definitely sounds like it's shorting somewhere. or flexing the board too much. my friend has the same board and uses ninja, although he hasn't gotten temperatures to be anywhere near respectable yet. maybe a hard mount will help

andre X_X
05-15-2007, 08:52 AM
hi deltro, welcome to XS :toast:
i use the same mobo and had no trobles so far...
have you tried setting the timings manual? someting like CL5-5-5.
update to newest bios might also helps. have you tried diffrent psu's?