PDA

View Full Version : EK Payment Options

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Why are they check/ MO only? Does this make any sense to anyone?

ranker
05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Why are they check/ MO only? Does this make any sense to anyone?

Doesn't make much sense to me either. If they had a paypal option, Eddie would have taken care of the $200 burning a hole in my pocket.

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Doesn't make much sense to me either. If they had a paypal option, Eddie would have taken care of the $200 burning a hole in my pocket.Unfortunately for Eddy (and probably me), his timing and options are off. If I had the option to pay with plastic or paypal, I'd abide the 1.5+wk. wait for his beautiful product, but I can't/ won't put up with a noisy PC in my studio for that long without knowing if/ when I'll be able to purchase his block.

The online dealers I've contacted have told me to expect blocks in 2+ weeks[ish], so my $ goes elsewhere.

Alphacool, here I come...

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately for Eddy (and probably me), his timing and options are off. If I had the option to pay with plastic or paypal, I'd abide the 1.5+wk. wait for his beautiful product, but I can't/ won't put up with a noisy PC in my studio for that long without knowing if/ when I'll be able to purchase his card.

The online dealers I've contacted have told me to expect blocks in 2+ weeks[ish], so my $ goes elsewhere.

Alphacool, here I come...

Please don't buy the alphacool [weep]...

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Please don't buy the alphacool [weep]...Why?

It's all copper, low profile and much higher flow than their last unit. Plus, with a GTS360, FuZion and Petra's DDC2, I need something to eat my rad power/ head. :D

edit: A linky to their 8800 block: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21380

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Why?

It's all copper, low profile and much higher flow than their last unit. PLus, with a GTS360, FuZion and Petra's DDC2, I need something to eat my rad power/ head. :D

No really, i'm not kidding Alphacool is probably total crap. Wait a week or so, and Petra should have them ;) OH MY GOD I JUST SAW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT...AT 4mm THICK THERE IS NO WAY IT'LL HAVE HIGH FLOW.

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 05:06 PM
No really, i'm not kidding Alphacool is probably total crap. Wait a week or so, and Petra should have them ;) OH MY GOD I JUST SAW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT...AT 4mm THICK THERE IS NO WAY IT'LL HAVE HIGH FLOW.1. The last generation of Alphacools were flow killers but had very, very good performance for being FC blocks.

2. The only other block in the loop will be a FuZion, which is like having no block at all.

3. I am far more concerned about getting a stable VGA OC than a CPU OC, as most of what I do with my PC is graphically stressful.

Plus, if I'm not happy with it, I'll just buy an EK later...

edit: Petra said they have been waiting for 2 weeks now and likely won't get them in for another 3. I'm recording a demo in that time, and will not wait another month for a usable studio.

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 05:08 PM
1. The last generation of Alphacools were flow killers but had very, very good performance for being FC blocks.

2. The only other block in the loop will be a FuZion, which is like having no block at all.

3. I am far more concerned about getting a stable VGA OC than a CPU OC, as most of what I do with my PC is graphically stressful.

Plus, if I'm not happy with it, I'll just buy an EK later...

Look man, that block is 4mm thick. The channels are most likely about 2mm. Do you know how much restriction is going to be there? we're talking, something like swapping all your tubes to 1/4!!!

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Look man, that block is 4mm thick. The channels are most likely about 2mm. Do you know how much restriction is going to be there? we're talking, something like swapping all your tubes to 1/4!!!Let me put it to you this way.

I have been payed a lump sum in advance to get this demo recorded. I can:

1. return the cash

2. keep the cash for 3 weeks and pray they don't sue

3. buy a possibly inferior product to tide me over until the EK is available.

Which would you choose?

Snyxxx
05-09-2007, 07:07 PM
When did that change? I used paypal backed by credit card to the US when I bought the 8800gtx FCB in January. I was not aware that policy changed.

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 07:15 PM
When did that change? I used paypal backed by credit card to the US when I bought the 8800gtx FCB in January. I was not aware that policy changed.
I used it last January as well.

I'm trying to see if I can get one from Aqua-Pcs, but we shall see.

Jedda
05-09-2007, 07:51 PM
He doesn't have Paypal now but he does have the option for bank transfer.
If you do online banking or can get to a branch, you can do an account transfer to pay in hours. Send him a scan or screen grab of the receipt by email and he ships.
Just done it.

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Hmmmm if you can return it I guess it would do as a temporary block. :) I'm just telling you, forget your hopes of using it as a long term block if you have any.

Ambro
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
You guys should email him & ask, he might just be able to help (then again he may not - but I suggest you contact him direct) ...;)

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
You guys should email him & ask, he might just be able to help (then again he may not - but I suggest you contact him direct) ...;)
Did

Jedda
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM

Read my post.
You're right about emailing him though.

migueld
05-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Whoa 4mm that's SEXY, that means no wasted PCI slots :) I'd say give it a try since you have a Fusion it might be fine.

migueld
05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Regarding the Alphacool:

"This cooler has a better flow rate than our current award winning NVXP 3, which has a flow rate of only 162 L/h, also the original cooler on the 8800 card for example, weighs 427 g, where as this is only 264g."

So according to that data it's not as restrictive as it looks. Argh, I wish this were universal :-/ Anyone know about a universal thin vga block?

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Regarding the Alphacool:

"This cooler has a better flow rate than our current award winning NVXP 3, which has a flow rate of only 162 L/h, also the original cooler on the 8800 card for example, weighs 427 g, where as this is only 264g."

So according to that data it's not as restrictive as it looks. Argh, I wish this were universal :-/ Anyone know about a universal thin vga block?

I think either that is bulls*** or their old blocks were super restrictive.
Do you know how thin 4mm is? Its 1/6", that's less than 1/4" which people go :eek: at. There is also a base so the space the water flows through is a TINY <3mm. The restriction WILL be very very high.
Fuzion is not the cure to restriction, it just slightly reduces it. Just because you have a Fuzion doesn't mean you're saved. Same thing with pumps. If you hook a super powerful pump to a mora radiator, or a thermaltake radiator, you still won't get good flow.

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Do you know how thin 4mm is? Its 1/6", that's less than 1/4" which people go :eek: at. There is also a base so the space the water flows through is a TINY <3mm. The restriction WILL be very very high.
Fuzion is not the cure to restriction, it just slightly reduces it. Just because you have a Fuzion doesn't mean you're saved. Same thing with pumps. If you hook a super powerful pump to a mora radiator, or a thermaltake radiator, you still won't get good flow....and yet the Germans somehow have yet to cause mass spontaneous combustion...

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 08:16 PM
...and yet the Germans somehow have yet to cause mass spontaneous combustion...

:P I never said the block wouldn't work did I? Yeah I know there are people with thermaltake watercooling and their computer hasn't exploded yet. But I'm trying to tell you why this won't work very well. If you're getting it just to serve as a placeholder its fine, but I would really get rid of it eventually.

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 08:20 PM
:P I never said the block wouldn't work did I? Yeah I know there are people with thermaltake watercooling and their computer hasn't exploded yet. But I'm trying to tell you why this won't work very well. If you're getting it just to serve as a placeholder its fine, but I would really get rid of it eventually.
I realize in the US we are a bigger is better culture. Sometimes we need to consider other alternatives, and given the success of some companies utilizing a different philosophy (Alphacool, Aqua Computer, etc.), we need to remain open to what they can teach us.

one thing the Alphacool block is very good at is packaging. It would have been nice a few years back to have something this thin so I could utilize all of my PCI slots.

I'm still hunting an EK as a first option, however.

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
True the bigger is better culture exists, but here, science and physics tell us bigger IS better :) I totally think for cars, etc. smaller is better. True I like how its thin. But 4mm is just like overboard. The EK could've had a top made of something stronger, and therefore thinner to make it fit but heh its all about the bling right? :D

migueld
05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Fuzion is not the cure to restriction, it just slightly reduces it. Just because you have a Fuzion doesn't mean you're saved. Same thing with pumps. If you hook a super powerful pump to a mora radiator, or a thermaltake radiator, you still won't get good flow.

It's thin but the channel width can be wide enough to provide decent flow. Until we have actual experimental data we can only speculate. Give it a chance :)

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
True the bigger is better culture exists, but here, science and physics tell us bigger IS better :) I totally think for cars, etc. smaller is better. True I like how its thin. But 4mm is just like overboard. The EK could've had a top made of something stronger, and therefore thinner to make it fit but heh its all about the bling right? :DConsidering we haven't seen the internals yet, and it's designed for 4x SLi, I don't think I can make a judgement on whether or not it's overboard.

ranker
05-09-2007, 10:20 PM
...and yet the Germans somehow have yet to cause mass spontaneous combustion...

LOL.

The only contribution I have to this thread is ...My pump is bigger than your pump!

Sparky
05-09-2007, 10:23 PM
LOL.

The only contribution I have to this thread is ...My pump is bigger than your pump!

Your DDC bigger than his D5? don't think so ;)