PDA

View Full Version : barton[512kbs] 2ghz ---) 3100+

SKATAN
06-29-2002, 03:23 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1025349410

LOL

there is no doubt it will be an incredible performer

but 600+ increase over the previous palo and tbred ate the same clock , this I got to see.

let´s hope for the best

Brothernod
06-29-2002, 04:01 PM
I guess that extra L2 really makes for a boost in performance.

I think it's stupid though. This will really take away from the thunder of the clawhammer.

whatever though.

BorgBob
06-29-2002, 09:34 PM
Woo baby that sounds nice!

And BTW, no problem for me if it takes away from Clawhammer--it won't fit my mobo but the Barton will!

When they shipping those suckers? Q3 or Q4?

Sayajin
06-30-2002, 05:01 PM
mmmm they loook nice...i think i will skip the tbred and jus go straight to barton...
but if tbred prices drop like the xp prces have then i just might have a tbred...
using a damn duron 1.1 now :( hehhe

sysfailur
06-30-2002, 06:55 PM
OOOOOOOOOoooooooooO!! Those looks NICE! I want! And I want a Clawhammer too! @#!@# :P

LORD
06-30-2002, 11:42 PM
I think with the additional 256 kb of cache. They may be slightly larger die size. Which in turn may finally allow for some better cooling also (hope). Hence the higher clocking. Or will they decide to use SOI on these?
I haven't heard anything of the sort though.

The extra cache should give a nice boost in performane. More information will be able to be stored in the L2 cache. They should have done this with the T-bred right from the start IMO.

Malecky
07-01-2002, 12:18 AM
Nah, no SOI, still having problems with the manufacturing process UMCs new fabric will be able to do SOI chips... but thats in 2005 and Dresden is still being fitted, thats why you rarely see a Clawhammer at 2Ghz wright now.

The cache does not boost performance that much boys....

LORD
07-02-2002, 04:07 AM
Malecky said:
The cache does not boost performance that much boys....

It should provide some improvement. AMD are giving a 2Ghz part a 3100+ rating. While a Palomino at 2Ghz has a 2500+ rating.

Then again it's only benchmarks that really improve. When your using it, you get use to it's speed fairly quickly.

Then you want more.........:D

DaGooch
07-02-2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by LORD
I think with the additional 256 kb of cache. They may be slightly larger die size. Which in turn may finally allow for some better cooling also (hope). Hence the higher clocking. Or will they decide to use SOI on these?
I haven't heard anything of the sort though.

The extra cache should give a nice boost in performane. More information will be able to be stored in the L2 cache. They should have done this with the T-bred right from the start IMO.

Barton will be slightly smaller than the Palomino but the same shape. 11.0 mm x 11.4 mm for Barton versus 11.0 mm x 11.6 mm for Palomino. This should help with heat dissapation. :D

Malecky
07-02-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by LORD

It should provide some improvement. AMD are giving a 2Ghz part a 3100+ rating. While a Palomino at 2Ghz has a 2500+ rating.

Then again it's only benchmarks that really improve. When your using it, you get use to it's speed fairly quickly.

Then you want more.........:D

Nah man I spent to much time on CPUs, the Barton will surely have Hammer imrovements... and thats where the "spunk" will come from.

JCviggen
07-02-2002, 10:59 AM
I dont see how some cache would boost the performance that much, and I am 99% sure its just a Tbred with extra cache. Because AMD is sure as hell not going to invest more money in barton than they need to, and any other architectural changes would be a waste of money with the Hammer family on the way.
Barton is relatively far away, I think the ratings will either drop, or it'll end up being over-rated...

Malecky
07-02-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by JCviggen
I dont see how some cache would boost the performance that much, and I am 99% sure its just a Tbred with extra cache. Because AMD is sure as hell not going to invest more money in barton than they need to, and any other architectural changes would be a waste of money with the Hammer family on the way.
Barton is relatively far away, I think the ratings will either drop, or it'll end up being over-rated...

JC The hammer is a major improvement over the K7 or is it not?

It is but its called a K8 becouse of the massive power and x86-64. Infact it is only a vastly improved K7 arch with aded 64bit GPRs and regs....bla bla.

The K7 can be updated farly easy and would not cost so much to improve. The K7 was a masterpiece when built and still is now and by god I swear it can be improved by 30%.

The only thingies are now:

1. AMD sticks with 4-10% boost with 512
2. Rebuolds the Barton and gives it the hammer wind.
3. AMD dos not make the Barton at all bnecouse the Hammer is ready.

another thing is you will not see a Clawhammer in your PC until Q1 2003 becouse if AMd makes Opterons , they will want a lot of server cash in their pockets and if Intel does not have an answear then the logical thing to do is postpone the Clawhammer and beat Intel up with a cheap Barton.

Lets not talk about all the troubles Bartons improvements can have with mobo makers and chipsets alike.

DaGooch
07-02-2002, 12:38 PM
It seems the rumor is that the Barton will have Hammer optimizations. :D A 32 bit pseudo ClawHammer?

http://www.theinquirer.net/02070216.htm

KnightElite
07-03-2002, 11:22 AM
Interesting reads, on both articles.
Here's to hoping that the Barton will be an awesome overclocker, and that it will be performing 10X better than a Palomino at same clock :D.
:toast: