PDA

View Full Version : Am I attaching the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and Hr-05 SLI Correctly?

dpoverlord
05-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Quick question on my new setup. I finally set up my system and will be installing windows. However before I do this I have a concern on my Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme and HR-05 SLI ( attached to the Northbridge).

My first question is on the CPU Heatsink / Fan:
- I spent a lot of time clamping this Heatsink onto the cpu I used 2 drops on the cpu and 1 drop on the bottom of the Heatsink. I then pushed the Heatsink onto the cpu and moved it around for good surface spread of the Artic Silver. I then clamped it down with the 4 screws to the bottom of the motherboard via the backplate. The issue (or maybe its not an issue) is that if I use my hand I can move the Heatsink a little as its on the CPU. To me this does not seem normal. It does not seem to come off the cpu it has solid contact it just moves left and right a bit. Is there something I am doing wrong?
- My other question is just about the same for the HR-05SLI I used the connector which hooks into the 2 spaces on the motherboard. It was tight however if I try to move the Heatsink it will move a little also.
Please tell me what you think since I want adequate cooling for my upcoming O/C and the last thing I want to do is fry the mobo or cpu. Thanks! I will send pictures when I can in a bit.

LuckyNV
05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
yes you can twist the Ultra120X, can't say it is harming cooling though since it is still tight down.

dpoverlord
05-09-2007, 12:16 PM
What about the HR-05 SLI?

LuckyNV
05-09-2007, 02:59 PM
no idea sorry, but loads of people have it, give it a day or so for replies

dpoverlord
05-10-2007, 04:52 AM
Thanks

dpoverlord
05-10-2007, 04:53 AM
This is going to sound really odd but since the fan is not on top of the cooler but on the side It should be blowing out right?

LuckyNV
05-10-2007, 05:07 AM
generally you want to shift the hot air from the heatsink out of the case, so the fan should be blowing towards the rear exhaust or top exhaust if you have one.

do not blow the heatsink air upwards if you have a top mounted PSU.

dpoverlord
05-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Ok then I attached this fan all :banana::banana::banana::banana:eyed since I have it blowing towards the ram since I was thinking of cooling that also (when in reality thats probably blowing hot air towards it) Not that I have set it up yet ya know? So I will have it blow towards the rear exhaust fans if you look at my case pics you will see the 2 rear fans. I would have prefereed the 120mm fan on the top but the PSU is that way.

dpoverlord
05-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Its kind of weird now since I have a huge heatsink with a huge 120mm fan blowing at 2 90mm fans which are exiting out of the case. Due to the structure design of the Infinity there is no way to have it blow upwards since that would be directly on the PSU.