PDA

View Full Version : 2 x Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 + Asus P5N32-SLI Plus issue.

r0n1n
05-09-2007, 04:30 AM
Hi there readers, mods and what have we more ;)

I recently purchased the setup as shown in my sig, and have some slight issues with the mobo. They're being delt with within the Intel section, in an already existing thread, so I guess that's in accordance with the rules :D

Now to go with that mobo, I also purchased 2 pairs of Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2x1024MB 800MHZ, tolalling, of course in 4 x 1 GB.
I am aware of my opsys (WinXP SP2) not being able to deal with 4 GB, but I'm not sure how long I will stick with 32bits, so it was a time-proof kinda purchase.

Although I should be able to use the 4 gigs (and only ~3 will show/be used in WinXP), I can't seem to get them working.
3 sticks works fine @ stock speeds, with stock V.
With 4, it won't post, or freeze somewhere in the process (bios loading, or some lucky times even into windows loading).

This has been tried with all timing settings on auto, which results in 5-5-5-18, with looser settings (I thought more ram needs maybe looser timings?) 7-7-7-22 and with rated speed of 5-5-5-12 (and some intermediate settings also).

Memtesting all the sticks didn't come up with probs yet (did 2 already, 19 passes, no probs, others are running, will up you asap).

My thinking was that maybe it needed a little more than the stock V, which is rated @ 1.9 v. Trying 2.0 and 2.1v, they don't seem to like it whatsoever... :nono: no post or corrupted post...

So I'm looking for some thoughts on 2 things here:

1) any idea for using the 4 GB?
2) is it known that they don't like higher V? I thought NOT to overdo it in the beginning, and go slow while increasing... I don't consider a 0.1v increase as a big step, maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments...

Yellowbeard
05-10-2007, 07:01 AM
With 4 DIMMs you are going to need to increase your NBv and FSBv a little. You may also need to improve the cooling if this increase works due to the chipset load and the extra voltage.

r0n1n
05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey Yellowbeard,

Thanks for the input. I found the problem actually, and it was not really related to the mem after all...

The mobo asus forum helped me out here. I read some other posts over there, people were having the same issues.
Changed mem from unlinked to linked, and changed LDT frequency (whatever that is?) from 5 to 4... and that seemed to do the tric :woot:

Now still have to test some more...
Btw, 2 x long-term mem86+ came up with absolutely no errors at all... thanks corsair :D

Greetz, and I guess this thread can be considered closed

Yellowbeard
05-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Very cool, glad it was an easy solution!