PDA

View Full Version : D-Tek Fuzion how tight?

Grinch
05-09-2007, 04:21 AM
how tight do you have your fuzion? are the springs totally compressed?:toast:

Sideroxylon
05-09-2007, 05:19 AM
mine are almost fully compressed.

IanY
05-09-2007, 05:37 AM
I dunno.. I go all the way... but beware of the danger of high compression. I compress them all the way because I am crazy and want the best temps.

Nephilim
05-09-2007, 05:49 AM
Just to add a point, I only recommend fully compressing like these guys if you have a backplate, otherwise just using washers you can do some damage to your mainboard in the long term if you're not careful.

IanY
05-09-2007, 05:51 AM
And not just an ordinary backplate.. a really sturdy and beefy one.

Fossil
05-09-2007, 06:56 AM
If your backplate is solid, you may as well tighten as far as you can go. I think I got some benefit from it, but hard to prove without any ambient readings.

Solarfall
05-09-2007, 07:01 AM
And not just an ordinary backplate.. a really sturdy and beefy one.

listen to him... really i should too get my self a good back plate too. :rolleyes:

IanY
05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
I strongly recommend the Scythe backplate. I was previously using the ThermalRight and I switched out.

The backplate saves your mobo, and also allows you to torque down. Its a real pity that the backplates are not included as standard items with high end water blocks.

Aldy402
05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
i go corner to corner in a star pattern
tighten while your temp prog is on.

if it shows no improvement, then stop

hey Iany, is the scythe backplate that much better? should i switch over? I have the thermalright too
can you link me?

IanY
05-09-2007, 08:54 AM
hey Iany, is the scythe backplate that much better? should i switch over? I have the thermalright too
can you link me?

Aldy,

I can say that its better, but its based on appearances and perceptions. I am not going to tell you that it lowered temps by XYZ degrees because I don't have any scientific data to back up. I will say that it allowed me to tighten down maximally on both the FuZion and the Apogee GTX, with nothing eventful happenning. As you recall, some folks, even with backplates (especially the ThermalTakes), have bent mobos beyond recognition.

The darn thing cost me $7, and even if one were to be ripped off with the MSRP, it would still cost just $11. I gather that it gives enough piece of mind to pay for itself.

Look at the picture. Focus on the solid square backplate. Now compare it with how the ThermalRight looks, never mind the ThermalTake.

Let me put it this way. If your refrigerator at home needs to be moved, would you have confidence in Biff the 300 pound tatooed Harley Rider who drinks Red Bull or a 15 year old skinny kid that eats only salads lol :)

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/004/scurk1_detail.html

sbrehm72255
05-09-2007, 09:47 AM
I'm usint the Scythe as well and it make for a nice stiff mounting plattform, only problem I have with the Scythe is that it's a real :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: to remove if you ever want to swap MoBo around. The sticky pad has some glue from hell on it............;)

Newegg carries the back plate, but they have been out of stock for sometime now. I tried looking for them at other e-tailers, but no such luck so far.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185022

Patriote
05-09-2007, 10:28 AM
But can you actually make a good contact with the FuZion on your CPU without that backplate? I'm thinking of hooking mine sometime soon but i don't have any backplate...

IanY
05-09-2007, 10:34 AM
No backplate will limit your mounting pressure and will seriously bend your mobo. The risk of cracking your mobo alone is not worth it.

Patriote
05-09-2007, 10:45 AM
No backplate will limit your mounting pressure and will seriously bend your mobo. The risk of cracking your mobo alone is not worth it.

Well, if it's that wrong to mount a FuZion without a backplate, why the heck they don't include one with their block ? That sound a bit ridiculous to me... Not that i don't believe. Don't get me wrong IanY. Is just that.. Well, you know! :rolleyes:

masaville
05-09-2007, 10:48 AM
how tight do you have your fuzion? are the springs totally compressed?:toast:

3 to 4 turns is sufficient. You don't want to exert too much pressure on the CPU. Snug, but not tight.

IanY
05-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Well, if it's that wrong to mount a FuZion without a backplate, why the heck they don't include one with their block ? That sound a bit ridiculous to me... Not that i don't believe. Don't get me wrong IanY. Is just that.. Well, you know! :rolleyes:

Its not wrong to mount without a backplate. Neither is it wrong to use a stock heatsink and fan with a top cpu for overclocking.

Its either you use a cheap addition to get the extra performance, or you are contented with with you have and decide not to spend that extra $6 or $7 or $5, which ever it may be. Its all up to you.

You don't have to torque down the screws/springs to the max, you know. Its not necessary.

All I am saying is that I am among a bunch of guys who torque down the block as much as possible to get maximum performance. Without a backplate, there is a severe risk of a cracked mobo.

It took a lot of work to get the el cheapo E6400 that I have to get stabilized at 3.5 Ghz, and I couldn't have achieved that without a backplate.. or the quality of a FuZion block.

You don't have to believe me. Its reported all over the place. I only echo the news. I don't have a broken mobo. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Why didn't D-Tek include a backplate with their block? I don't know. Ask them. Swiftech doesn't include one either, so I provide equal opportunity criticism.

Patriote
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Its not wrong to mount without a backplate. Neither is it wrong to use a stock heatsink and fan with a top cpu for overclocking.

Its either you use a cheap addition to get the extra performance, or you are contented with with you have and decide not to spend that extra $6 or $7 or $5, which ever it may be. Its all up to you.

You don't have to torque down the screws/springs to the max, you know. Its not necessary.

All I am saying is that I am among a bunch of guys who torque down the block as much as possible to get maximum performance. Without a backplate, there is a severe risk of a cracked mobo.

It took a lot of work to get the el cheapo E6400 that I have to get stabilized at 3.5 Ghz, and I couldn't have achieved that without a backplate.. or the quality of a FuZion block.

You don't have to believe me. Its reported all over the place. I only echo the news. I don't have a broken mobo. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Why didn't D-Tek include a backplate with their block? I don't know. Ask them. Swiftech doesn't include one either, so I provide equal opportunity criticism.

Thanks for clearing this for me. If i can find a backplate, ill buy one. Or i could make one :p:

virtualrain
05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Anyone hard-mounting the Fuzion or GTX (i.e. no springs)?

Sparky
05-09-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm going to be mounting my fuzion on my s939 chip. My mobo came with a standard metal backplate, think it'll be enough or should I try and get one of those beefier backplates? It flexes some with only my zalman 9500 cranked down on it.

IanY
05-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Anyone hard-mounting the Fuzion or GTX (i.e. no springs)?

I have hard mounted the Apogee GT (not the GTX or the FuZion). Its not for the faint hearted, and the problem is that it is very much an exercise in trial and error, at the expense of killing your poor cpu. It either is too much force or not enough force. Not enough = cooling is poor and lousy. It gets better and better. Then you cross a point = dead cpu and dead mobo. Is it worth playing Russian Roulette? you decide.

DavidP
05-09-2007, 02:04 PM
If you are using the Fuzion just make sure you install the stoppers inside the spring. It won't let you go past any dangerous point. If you want to take out the stoppers and tighten even more than you need a backplate. Other wise you are good to go without a backplate. Just make sure you apply even pressure.

Grinch
05-09-2007, 02:37 PM
so...do you go down to each stopper?

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/35-185-022-02.jpg

what do you think the backplate is made of?
wouldn't it be easier just to make ones own? what would the best material be?

and doesn't the thermaltake look really beefy and stronger than the scythe or is it just me??
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/SilentWaterII/images/mount.jpg
Not everyone has the means to make their own backplate. I think you've realized that already.

Have you taken a look at LN2 pots? They have super beefy thick aluminum plates sometimes :) I'm considering that too :)

DavidP
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Yep... just go down to the stopper and that's all you need to do. At the stopper it's well within the amount of pounds of pressure that your CPU can tolerate.

so...do you go down to each stopper?

Sparky
05-09-2007, 03:15 PM
how thick of aluminum would be suitable?

and it cant be hard at all to make your own. just need a jigsaw and a drill and some aluminum. now what thickness to beat all is the question..

You need a good insulating layer as well. I don't think you want bare aluminum against the back of your mobo ;)

ziddey
05-09-2007, 03:50 PM
if you want more compression you remove the stopper from how i understand. i've seen no difference in temps going from apogee regular with thick oring and back plate with uncapped winged nuts to fuzion for some reason. maybe my ihs isn't as flat as i thought. will have to check for scuff marks around the ihs border next time i remove the fuzion

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 04:48 PM
is aluminum even conductive?

anyway, i can just slap some neoprene on the top. how thick is sick?

LOL aluminum is the 4th best conductor out of all metals. You MUST slap neoprene on top. In fact, all metals conduct fairly well and you ALWAYS have to insulate.

serialk11r
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
oops. i guess i was thinking of being magnetic.

now what thickness of an aluminum backplate would rule all?

Aluminum is pretty strong, dunno. I'd use 1/8"...

warriorpoet
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Any luck finding online sources for Scythe or ThR backplates yet?

Anemone
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Think I'll keep the Thermalright backplate so that I can also switch out to a 120 ultra during water maintenance (fiddling) times.

Makubex_GB
05-09-2007, 06:10 PM
1/8"? thats nothing!

how can a 1/8" piece of cheap ALU beat those beastly scythe or thermaltake backplates?
Dude, do you have any idea how thick 1/8" of ALU is? That's most likely thicker than any back plate shipped with any CPU cooler. :slap:

PS. Fuzion tighten 'till the plastic cylinders stopped me.

Havoc151
05-10-2007, 02:28 PM
does the sythe backplate work with am2 mobo's?

eXceeded
05-10-2007, 02:47 PM
yeah:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21367&vpn=SCURK1&manufacture=Scythe
shame I can't get anything for Socket F/1207 :S...

burton
05-10-2007, 04:18 PM
i use the tuniq back plate :)

serialk11r
05-10-2007, 04:20 PM
1/8"? thats nothing!

how can a 1/8" piece of cheap ALU beat those beastly scythe or thermaltake backplates?

Uh, do you even know what you're talking about? 1/8" 6061 is monstrously strong...7075 is even stronger.

nikhsub1
05-10-2007, 06:49 PM
I just don't get the whole backplate craze. I've been tightening my blocks without springs forever, never broke a board yet. As a matter of fact, I've probably mounted more times on my test mobo (P5W DH) than any other mobo yet, and guess what? She's still running just fine - temps the same as the day it was new.

Darkfire
05-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Does anyone know of somewhere in the UK (or will ship to the UK) that stocks the Scythe backplates?

pie_uk
05-15-2007, 10:43 AM
yeah i looked down at my mobo and saw that i had bent it slightly. oops !! must get hold of a back plate you would think they would give you one. i hope my mobo is ok. i have lose'nd it up since, and has been fine

nibble
05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I just made a backplate out of 2mm alu + 1.5mm alu epoxied together, extremely ghetto but it should work.

Grinch
05-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Lol

jabski
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I just made a backplate out of 2mm alu + 1.5mm alu epoxied together, extremely ghetto but it should work.

got any nice pics or temps ?

JoeBar
05-15-2007, 01:07 PM
I just don't get the whole backplate craze. I've been tightening my blocks without springs forever, never broke a board yet. As a matter of fact, I've probably mounted more times on my test mobo (P5W DH) than any other mobo yet, and guess what? She's still running just fine - temps the same as the day it was new.
Indeed. I haven't had any broken m/b's yet... :p:

Grinch
05-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Indeed. I haven't had any broken m/b's yet... :p:

me either...(knocking loudly on wood)
:toast:

nibble
05-15-2007, 01:30 PM
No temps yet I'm waiting for my board still (might be here tomorrow) and won't have my loop setup 'till then. But here's a really bad pic :
http://ocidb.com/albums/edit/DSCI0009~0.JPG?529484904
Look at that workmanship:slobber:. I'll put a piece of foam in between the board and this.

Makubex_GB
05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
No temps yet I'm waiting for my board still (might be here tomorrow) and won't have my loop setup 'till then. But here's a really bad pic :
http://ocidb.com/albums/edit/DSCI0009~0.JPG?529484904
Look at that workmanship:slobber:. I'll put a piece of foam in between the board and this.

We need a bigger pic or a link to a bigger version to truly appreciate the workmanship. :D