PDA

View Full Version : CELL VS gaming ?

//porre
05-08-2007, 11:34 PM
hey m8s

the forum search function is kind of crappy so i couldn't see if this topic has been up before,

I've heard some rumors about that CELL isn't quite the gaming CPU, and i'd like to know if it is true an why.
I know that CELL is good at applikations and such wich need high FLOPS, calculations and simple server ops and such, but at gaming it isn't that good at using it powers cus games need more than just an high amount of FLOPS,

reason i'm asking is that some "buddy's" is sayin that PS3 is so much more powerfull than XBOX360, ^^ and i'm kind of running out of arguments

plz help :)

and sry if this is posted ind the wrong subforum

Quest_7F
05-08-2007, 11:48 PM
I got tired of arguing what console was better back with N64, ill play any console. Its the games that are important. Although I own a 360 and I havnt seen any games I would want to buy for PS3. You can always look at opinions and benchmarks and such but when it comes down to it its playability, and personal preference.

Quick google search got this.
http://www.megagames.com/news/show.cgi?&idtype=console&database=849&page=1&

//porre
05-09-2007, 12:02 AM
well i'm not a console player anyways, PC for me, but i hate fanboys claiming PS3 can beat anything ^^

eXceeded
05-09-2007, 12:02 AM
you're going to need some time :
http://dpad.gotfrag.com/ps3/story/35372/
That has all the information you could ever need, and just FYI the Cell is better than the Xenon for server related tasks (Folding@home, etc.)

//porre
05-09-2007, 12:05 AM
problem with that link to megagames is the date,, 2005, we've got flamed for posting that old artikles,

^^ stupid i know,

Soulburner
05-09-2007, 02:02 AM
This needs to be moved to Console Gaming.

//porre
05-09-2007, 02:03 AM
talkin about having thick heads, their conclusion : this artikel is BAISED.

Neon Biker
05-09-2007, 07:35 AM
On the graphics side I think the Xbox has the upper hand, but not by much.
On the CPU side that Cell certainly is a beast, but it's so hard to program for it that I'm afraid it'll never even come close to being used to it's full potential. In the end it may even prove to be a pain in the a.. and I'm not convinced the PS3 won't flop like the Dreamcast from good ol' Sega.

B.E.E.F.
05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
some "buddy's" is sayin that PS3 is so much more powerfull than XBOX360, ^^ and i'm kind of running out of arguments

Your buddy is trying to justify wasting money on it.

The 360 > PS3.

Not because Cell is garbage. But because of the way the system is made.

Maybe, just maybe the cell processor is good fo something, but the PS3 has a horrible implementation of it.

Look at the games. The final product. PS3 games look like crap and play like crap. The early 360 games looked much better, with the current ones looking (and playing) fantastic. Good performance, visual effects, depth and size of levels.. etc.

Lestat
05-10-2007, 06:10 PM
you're going to need some time :
http://dpad.gotfrag.com/ps3/story/35372/
That has all the information you could ever need, and just FYI the Cell is better than the Xenon for server related tasks (Folding@home, etc.)

considering the fact that there is no folding program for the 360 that comment is just trash. there is absolutely zero proof that the 360 is any worse or better than the ps3.
comments made by people who have not even used any type of non 360 game program on the 360.
now that linux is possible (gentoo) w/ a live CD maybe they could get a folding app on the cd and run it that way.

//porre
05-10-2007, 10:54 PM
well if F@H could use all three PPE's of the Xenon then xbox would be a good folder too.

safronlove
06-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes definitely xbox has many advantages in the area of graphics and i also want to move on console...